Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 4, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #11,431 of 155,074
I only own a few Zappa recordings, but Joes Garage is probably my favorite. Maybe because this was the first Zappa I ever heard as a teen, recently expelled from Catholic school. Hilarious stuff. Also later became a big Missing Persons fan, and never realized that the key members were all in Franks band at the time.

Please explain the purpose of The White Zone...
:wink_face:

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #11,433 of 155,074
  The purpose of the White Zone is for loading and unloading.

I picked up two Diana Krall CDs at a thrift store about a year ago. I'd like to tell you that I liked them but I keep falling asleep.

I'm sorry, but surely everyone knows that the red zone is for immediate loading and unloading and there is no stopping in the white zone.

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #11,436 of 155,074
Herman-on-Bagpipes.jpg

And yes, attending the Edinburgh Tattoo is on my bucket list. 

...r 

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #11,437 of 155,074
Sadly, finding music of poor quality that appeals to me is too easy.  And I agree, sound quality *alone* isn't enough.
[/quote

You said a mouthful there, as most modern charting music (or whatever is the modern-day equivalent to charting) I hear is of poor quality, in addition to sounding bad. Neither characteristic appeals, but the former is far worse.

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #11,438 of 155,074
Sadly, finding music of poor quality that appeals to me is too easy.  And I agree, sound quality *alone* isn't enough.

You said a mouthful there, as most modern charting music (or whatever is the modern-day equivalent to charting) I hear is of poor quality, in addition to sounding bad. Neither characteristic appeals, but the former is far worse.

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #11,440 of 155,074
while I have quite a bit of music that isn't recorded/mastered all that well but either the composition or the performance moves me. I'll listen to whatever you want to play to evaluate how good your megabuck system sounds, but I will never buy or listen for pleasure to music because of its sound quality alone.

The music I use to evaluate changes is the music I like.  It's just that a better system shows more of the music or gives me insight into how a song was mastered or something like that.

For example, I was listening to some Cars yesterday.  I noticed, after some tweaks, that the guitars were mastered to fill the whole "back wall" of the mix, while on other songs the guitar was mixed to be in a specific spot in the soundstage.  I don't think I would have heard that difference with earbuds and 128kps mp3.

Jul 5, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #11,442 of 155,074
Today I kept kicked back and listened to Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, using my ETHER C's, driven by by Yggdrasil and Ragnarock. The Central Scrutinizer sounded so fantastic, through this combo.

I'm the whistler at the end of the "Muffin Man" finale number off of Bongo Fury, which was recorded live at Armadillo HQ in Austin back in 1975.  They tried their damnedest to edit me out, but couldn't quite get there, considering the effort I put into it. 
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #11,443 of 155,074
Zappa was in a high school band with a guy named Don Van Viet whose stage name was Captain Beefheart. (and the magic band). They did a live recording of a song called Orange Claw Hammer that is particularly strange. I once sent the song to a friend in New York and she asked me to please never send her music again.
In the movie The Big Lebowski, the Dude is listening to the Beefheart song "Her Eyes are a Blue Million Miles" at one point in the movie. It has been said that Zappa once called Beefheart weird.

Some of my favorite Beefheart songs:
Big Eyed Beans from Venus
Long Neck Bottles
Clear Spot

Anyway I am a fan of the Valhalla 2 and my cats enjoy the warmth it generates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back