Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 4, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #10,576 of 149,543
  So What Do I Do If I Want To Mod?

If you want to mod, nothing we say is going to stop you, right? So I think, in general, my advice would be to spend some time trying to understand what you’re modding, how it could be made better, and if modding it has a good chance of success.

So... I guess SAMS Photofact Folders on your line are completely out, then?

(runs away fast)
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #10,578 of 149,543
Nice fielding of subject matter, Jason.

I think that tube and opamp rolling are almost obligatory stages that an audio neophyte needs to go through on his personal path to audiophilic nirvana.  But for me, at the end of the day, I fall into the camp of those gourmets who feel that his food should be properly seasoned by the chef coming straight out of the kitchen, and table condiments are probably the very easiest of all mods.  It's an attitude, methinks.

I will admit to modding my AudioGD M7 DAC, tho, for LVDS (HDMI) I2S input compatibility with my PSA CD transport source. And altho it was not my original intent, it's like the antithesis of USB conversion for retaining source signal fidelity, and so well worth it in terms of rewards gained vs. modding effort, altho largely thru DACLadder's DIY effort, not mine.  It was interesting to note that, altho Kingwa was adverse to doing the LVTTL I2S over RJ-45 to LVDS I2S over HDMI via the open source PSA pinout protocol conversion himself in the beginning, he introduced the HDMI I2S input signal option to his M7 product shortly after DACLadder released his circuit design into the public arena.  

May 4, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #10,579 of 149,543
  Nice fielding of subject matter, Jason.

I think that tube and opamp rolling are almost obligatory stages that an audio neophyte needs to go through on his personal path to audiophilic nirvana. 

Or, like me, your first headphone amp was a poor choice, and you want (or need) to replace wildly asymmetric tubes with some NOS from Germany or the US.

May 4, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #10,580 of 149,543
This is always an argument that will be found in any popular "community". I might get lynched here but I think the guys that want the "quick and easy" mods like swapping caps...etc...are a lot like the guys that put "cold air intakes" on their vehicles and then walk the walk. There's a difference between doing it because you CAN and doing it because you know WHY.

Also who says you can't take the general idea of a SCHIIT and make your own....I may or may not be working on a 6088 hybrid topology. Will it ever be as good as the Vali? Oh HELL no! However, it's been a fun project so far and has provided an outlet for testing topologies, different cap types, DHT's, etc.

Good chapter Jason! You've been pretty quiet lately so go get back to whatever secret new project you're working on in the lab.

May 4, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #10,582 of 149,543
  Excellent chapter, with this line: "So, here’s another idea: build something yourself. drink scotch" being the best advice a company could give concerning this area.

Fixed that for you
cool.gif

May 4, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #10,583 of 149,543

I’d leave it alone and think about maybe some fancy input tubes (WE417s  or 5670s with a pinout adapter?)

Ok I get it... don't f with your schiit...  but what about some Schiit sponsored Tube adapters pinout adapter for your tube gear...  I get you have the non-tube tube LIST.. howabout some other tube adapters...? to run different configuration....

May 5, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #10,584 of 149,543
I think modding is best when done with stuff that is modular. For example: drums. Heads, rims, sticks, tuning, resonant sides, dampening rings, etc. There are a LOT of things you can do to your drums to change the sound without damaging the shells. You might have to replace a few heads here and there, but the drums should be fine, and each of these small changes will make a change in how the drum sounds.

And heck, this sounds a lot like tube rolling. Different tubes may or may not result in an audible change, but for rollable amps, it offers a cheap(ish), quick, and easy way to make a change, and after rolling to different tubes shouldn't damage your amp (unless you do something very, very stupid).

The most interesting modding community has to be in PC gaming, though. Here, you have mods that revive older games, mods that overhaul core systems, mods that upgrade or replace textures, and on top of all of that, some huge games started out as mods (DOTA, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike). I can't say I've dabbled too much in this community, but I am very glad it exists.

May 5, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #10,585 of 149,543

Ok I get it... don't f with your schiit...  but what about some Schiit sponsored Tube adapters pinout adapter for your tube gear...  I get you have the non-tube tube LIST.. howabout some other tube adapters...? to run different configuration....

I'd definitely like to see potentially different LISST's available such as ones with a bit of a darker signature or a bass booster model,  as examples. 

May 5, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #10,586 of 149,543

Seeing as that would require Schiit to verify that every single tube type can be safely used in all their equipment, I'm gonna guess this falls into the nope category.

Tubes differ a heck of a lot more than just in their pinouts as well.

May 5, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #10,588 of 149,543
  So, Jason, no Schiit at THEShow Newport Beach this year?

And BTW, very enjoyable chapter. Where's my soldering iron?

Yeah, it looks like we won't be at Newport. Nothing new to show, plus the debacle last year, means we are not exactly enthusiastic about it. Some of our guys are still trying to convince me that we should be there with Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, and speakers (in a room), since that's more congruent with the show audience. I'm OK with letting them do it, but I may pass on being there. 

I'd expect another SchiitShow sometime this summer. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 5, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #10,590 of 149,543
  If you're not saying soldering station, that's the first fail.  And if you're not dusting off the ol' binocular microscope, that's the second...

LOL, especially these days.

I was looking at a cool new low noise, LDO regulator that outputs +/-12V at 150mA with virtually no external components...and it's only available as a 14-pin 3 x 4mm DFN with power pads underneath. So much for soldering that by hand!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back