Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 14, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #10,276 of 153,716
Health Insurance is a choice in America, Australia gets it irrespective of income levels.

Including direct taxes, which are consumption taxes doesn't count since they vary depending on your spending. Non essential spending can't be included in taxes that the government charges since they are generated by your spending.

For example, if you choose a 100k car instead of a 60k car, you will pay more number wise even though percentages might be the same. In Australia, luxury car tax is applied on new cars above 58k, the government doesn't force you to buy a 58k car.

Putting that aside, an average person on a 100k salary in California pays 36% net including all fuel, healthy sf etc etc. Figures crunched from the IRS 2016 schedule.

Edit: it's a public holiday in Australia and I'm bored☺

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #10,277 of 153,716

Please don't get me started on taxes! Trust me when I tell you that for man-hours worked, you have a better standard of living in California and I say this as someone who lived and worked in both countries for a number of years. This is not some conjecture from a study done by some academic, it is based on my own personal experience which, for me anyway, trumps any "study". Others may disagree but this is my own experience and theirs may differ, you know, YMMV. Apologies for getting off topic, will stop posting about this topic now. Cheers.  

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #10,278 of 153,716
Everyone complains about taxes, but no one is willing to do without the niceties of public infrastructure and civilization that they buy.

Peope do, however, willingly pay $10k/yr in personal money to avoid paying $1k/yr in taxes.

(And, yes, I'm in the highest marginal tax bracket.)

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #10,280 of 153,716
I'm on the east coast, and have been trying (fruitlessly) for years to control people's thinking. Guess I need to get out there to Cali.

I used to say in my youth that the difference between the east and the west coasts is that the freaks on the west coast were benign.  I no longer think that's particularly true.  Hell, the freaks on the third coast can now even carry concealed weapons in classrooms.

Oh happy today. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #10,281 of 153,716
So, guys... how about that [REDACTED]?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #10,283 of 153,716
We need the news about the Schiit Manhattan! No more that's-how-we-think-about-this-business chapters!

Lol patience grasshopper, good things comes to those who wait. Plus one cannot rush the creative talents of Mike and his Manhattan project. All will be revealed, when the audio wizard deems it so.:)

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #10,284 of 153,716
Push Mike at your own risk...

Seriously, he is deep into uncharted territory here. Nothing like this product has ever existed, anywhere, from anyone. There are gonna be setbacks and gotchas. This isn't like implementing yet another "datasheet DAC." 

Fun fact: we've already run into one setback, and (I believe) figured a way around it. If we'd planned on the Manhattan Project costing like an end-game DAC, the setback wouldn't even be a setback. However, we want to make this device affordable, so we needed a different approach to replace a very expensive set of components. I'm sure Mike will give you the full details once the Gadget is released.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 14, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #10,288 of 153,716
But will the Manhattan smurf my dingleberries? These are the important questions here...

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #10,289 of 153,716
So is it safe to buy a Mjolnir 2 with Manhattan and {redacted} coming down the line?  Will they compete with other Schiit products or are they complimentary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back