Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 11, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #9,016 of 150,210
Congrats on another product launch! Gotta say, the pictures on the website look great, hopefully I'll get to hear it at a regional meet.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #9,017 of 150,210
Looks awesome! The original Vali was a serious amp for the price. One obvious question...could you stick a LISST in it?

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #9,019 of 150,210
  Now, I’d never seen a wall-wart like that before, but it was worth a query. I fired off an email, expecting to receive a “sorry, we can’t do that,” response. Instead, I got a picture showing a wall-wart with a DIN plug connector. “Like this?” the email asked.

I had this on my Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 amp. 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #9,020 of 150,210
  Looks awesome! The original Vali was a serious amp for the price. One obvious question...could you stick a LISST in it?

Excellent question.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #9,021 of 150,210

Well, I don't see why not:

Vali 2 is supplied with a single NOS RCA 6BZ7 tube, which can be swapped for the same tubes we use in Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2—feel free to use virtually any ECC88, 6922, 6DJ8, 2492, etc to “roll” the sound to your own preference.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #9,023 of 150,210
The answer is probably "no".  I doubt a single LYSST is designed for stereo channels.  Taken from Schiit's LYSST product page:

Hey, this is cool! Can I use them anywhere a 6922 is used?
Not necessarily. We designed these tubes specifically for our tube hybrid products—Mjolnir 2, Lyr 2, and Lyr. Those are the only products we guarantee they’ll work in.

But I can try them in other stuff, right?
Again, no guarantees. They might not work. They might get too hot. They might fail. Don’t blame us—we’re being very clear on LISST being for Schiit devices only. 

How about Valhalla? Valhalla 2?
Valhalla 2 sure, but why?

How about Lyr?
Sure, but note that these solid-state tubes are actually slightly noisier than real tubes. If you’re already hearing the Lyr noise floor with higher-sensitivity headphones, it will be worse. They’re really best with switchable gains, such as on Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2, for best flexibility.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #9,024 of 150,210
The Mjolnir also lists a near-identical tube list and verbiage to what the vali2 does. Then again I have no clue where the 6922's in the mjolnir are biased either...which I'm betting has something to do with the operating point of the LISST. I'm guessing (knowing how sneaky these guys are) that the LISST will probably work in the vali2 but I'm just speculating and I'm sure the man will chime in and say yay or nay.

Choose Tube Hybrid, Solid-State, or Both
Yes, that’s right. You can get Mjolnir 2 as a tube hybrid, or as a pure solid-state amp—or get both, and swap out as you’d like. You can also swap the standard 6BZ7 tubes for anything in the 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, and 2492 families, to “roll” the sound to your specific preference. Or just opt for the Schiit LISST (Linear, Integral Solid-State Tube) for a 100% solid state amp. 

Also, 'grats to the dudes on another epic product. I've already promptly recommended this to about 3-4 of my friends. Just in time for christmas it seems.....hmmmm.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #9,025 of 150,210
  The answer is probably "no".  I doubt a single LYSST is designed for stereo channels.  Taken from Schiit's LYSST product page:

Yeah, looks like it. Here's an excerpt from the Vali 2 FAQ:

The tubes we use are “double triodes,” meaning they have two triodes per tube (how else could a single tube work in a stereo amp?)

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #9,027 of 150,210

But when you’re using a wall-wart, you really could only get one AC voltage on its barrel jack.

And all the Schiit devices use the same size barrel jack for all devices with a wall wart regardless of voltage or AC or DC current. And many have a "stack" of 2 devices.

See the issue?

I am always afraid of plugging in the wrong barrel connector from my Wyrd (DC) into my amp (AC) or vice versa. Bad things will happen I if I mix them up. Bad things.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #9,030 of 150,210

And all the Schiit devices use the same size barrel jack for all devices with a wall wart regardless of voltage or AC or DC current. And many have a "stack" of 2 devices.

See the issue?

I am always afraid of plugging in the wrong barrel connector from my Wyrd (DC) into my amp (AC) or vice versa. Bad things will happen I if I mix them up. Bad things.

Actually, the 6VAC and 14/16VAC wall-warts use different pin sizes, so you can't plug the 14/16VAC into the 6VAC product (Wyrd). So no damage can occur.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back