Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #4,336 of 150,539

I think you just automatically assumed the worst about Schiit. The fact that they ship out so quickly is not because they want to sell you the Modi before announcing the Modi 2, but they normally ship out that quickly (and this can be a classic example of how companies are blamed for being efficient).

Plus this "issue" has been discussed by Schiit in one of his blog post. Looking at his POV, it isn't good business sense to announce a new update ANYTIME before its launch. Like someone had mentioned, they announce it 2 weeks before, the guys who bought it 2 weeks and 1 day before will be pissed. They announce it 1 month before, the guys who bought it 1 month and 1 day before will be pissed.

I read about a quote that I follow till this day about buying gadgets: Never wait for the latest update as you will forever be waiting. Just buy it as and when you want and need to and enjoy it.

In some cases, I actually prefer buying older stuffs as I can get them cheaper. For example, I bought the iPhone 5S after the 6 was announced and bought the Macbook Air June 2013 version after the latest was announced.

Ah someone else who thinks he way I do, I picked up a Late 2012 Mac Mini mere days after the unupgradeable memory 2014's came out, got it for a hundred bucks less than the new one's starter price, stuffed 16Gb of RAM in it and she screams. It's not in every case where the newer piece is "better" (Curses Apple soldering RAM to the logic board!)

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #4,337 of 150,539
hi

i have never own a dac or amp before. (well.. fiio e10). And i dont have any idea about what cables to plug in where. im not a tech-literate person either. i have limited budget... im thinking of getting magni, can the magni 2 be connected to my fiio e10 dac/amp?

what cable do i need to connect fiio e10 to magni?

and also... i've read schiit magni 2 FAQs,
If you don’t need preamp outputs, you’re gonna be plenty happy with Magni 2

i don't even know what preamp output means, does that mean im going to do just fine with a magni 2?

oh my headphone is 32 ohm grado, 12 ohm sony ma-900, and about to buy a 250 ohm beyer...

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #4,338 of 150,539
there's a fifteen-day return policy dude. See if you can ship them back and order the new stuff.

Or be proactive and just see if they can redirect the packages back to them before you even take possession. Then you don't have to mess with the effort to ship them back.

edit: whoops. Missed the part about them already being delivered.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #4,339 of 150,539
  Ah someone else who thinks he way I do, I picked up a Late 2012 Mac Mini mere days after the unupgradeable memory 2014's came out, got it for a hundred bucks less than the new one's starter price, stuffed 16Gb of RAM in it and she screams. It's not in every case where the newer piece is "better" (Curses Apple soldering RAM to the logic board!)

I got a 2012 Mac Mini earlier this year as well. After seeing the 2014 offer I was GLAD that I got the 2012 Mac. Sure it has newer architecture but I wanted a quad core and they don't even offer that now. The lack of accessibility makes it an even better decision in retrospect. The integrated graphics may be better but I was planning on using an external graphics card through the thunderbolt port anyway. I mean I like my audio gear separate so why not think the same way with my computer?

As for Schiit I got my Modi back in November. The Modi 2 is something I can live without but I did not imagine the Modi 2 Über coming out! I would have loved an optical connection but I still feel good with my purchase since I mainly wanted to use it with my Raspberry Pi as a music server. Plus I didn't really 'lose' since I would pay more money for the Über.

I figure one day I'll get the Bifrost minus the USB input and it'll even out.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #4,340 of 150,539
  hi

i have never own a dac or amp before. (well.. fiio e10). And i dont have any idea about what cables to plug in where. im not a tech-literate person either. i have limited budget... im thinking of getting magni, can the magni 2 be connected to my fiio e10 dac/amp?

what cable do i need to connect fiio e10 to magni?

and also... i've read schiit magni 2 FAQs,
If you don’t need preamp outputs, you’re gonna be plenty happy with Magni 2

i don't even know what preamp output means, does that mean im going to do just fine with a magni 2?

oh my headphone is 32 ohm grado, 12 ohm sony ma-900, and about to buy a 250 ohm beyer...

You can connect a Magni 2 to the Fiio E10's Line Out port on the rear with a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable. These are very common — you may already have one — but if not, this is fine.

Preamp outputs are only useful in this scenario if you're going to daisy-chain this to another amp or self-powered speakers. Otherwise you're fine without it.

The Magni 2 should serve those headphones (and pretty much any headphones) very well.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #4,341 of 150,539

You can connect a Magni 2 to the Fiio E10's Line Out port on the rear with a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable. These are very common — you may already have one — but if not, this is fine.

Preamp outputs are only useful in this scenario if you're going to daisy-chain this to another amp or self-powered speakers. Otherwise you're fine without it.

The Magni 2 should serve those headphones (and pretty much any headphones) very well.

i have zero knowledge about cables and dacs and amps. i only have fiio e10 so far and there aren't that many audio shop where i live.

so... based on your monoprice link, i understand that i have to get 3.5mm stereo male to rca male cable.

i'd like to ask,,, how about this link below? can i use it?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9299&seq=1&format=2

is that the same cable with the one you refer? can i buy that?

for vanity reason, the white color looks better, im just not sure whether the white one is the same cable with the monoprice link you refer to because the 3.5mm stereo male end on the pictures looks bigger / different... (the right one is the cable from your link, and the left one is the cable i found through understanding what cable i should look for based on your illustration)

also, because the white one is written "designed for mobile".
do i need to pay attention to that wordings?
im a little wary because the white one seems to have bigger 3.5mm stereo male picture

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #4,343 of 150,539

i have zero knowledge about cables and dacs and amps. i only have fiio e10 so far and there aren't that many audio shop where i live.

so... based on your monoprice link, i understand that i have to get 3.5mm stereo male to rca male cable.

i'd like to ask,,, how about this link below? can i use it?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9299&seq=1&format=2

is that the same cable with the one you refer? can i buy that?

for vanity reason, the white color looks better, im just not sure whether the white one is the same cable with the monoprice link you refer to because the 3.5mm stereo male end on the pictures looks bigger / different... (the right one is the cable from your link, and the left one is the cable i found through understanding what cable i should look for based on your illustration)

also, because the white one is written "designed for mobile".
do i need to pay attention to that wordings?
im a little wary because the white one seems to have bigger 3.5mm stereo male picture

It should work fine. The white cable is designed for smartphones, etc. where a slender plug is required to fit into the jack due to the construction of many mobile devices. Electrically you should be perfectly fine, go for it.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4,344 of 150,539

Is this XRT in Chicago that you are referring to?

The ONXRT Live From the Archives collection CDs by Chicago station WXRT are certainly indicative of the annual radio station guest artist recordings releases that I was referring to, but no, I haven't have the pleasure of adding any of that series to my collection yet.

Some of their past issues do appear quite expensive now, so that should be some indication of their quality and attractiveness. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #4,346 of 150,539

Yes, that will work fine. The size difference of the plastic above the plug is purely cosmetic. "Mobile" in this case only seems to be cosmetic differences.

If you are trying to use the cable in a mobile device and the standard one does not fit, it is not cosmetic but functional in nature.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #4,349 of 150,539

Mr. Valiant, 

I feel your pain! 

Happen'd to me as well,

I now burn a back-up, duplicate disc of everything I load onto my hard Drive , I'll get a Solid State Drive on my next Mac. 

It's painful to loose it all, it still hurts me to think of it, it's all our shared NightMare.  

The AudioQuest guy, Silberman I think is his name, has a strategy requiring a parallel Memory device.  I haven't done that but I know that I should.  

Tony, crying for you, in Michigan 

Thank you most sincerely, Mr. Tonykaz.

I wish I could burn backups. but I'm a graphic designer, and a single job wouldn't fit onto a Blu-ray disc, never mind all my work for any given client. :frowning2:

I thought I had a good backup strategy, and I was wrong. 

I got the call from Drive Savers today and the adjusted quote is now between $2,300 and $2,600. Up from $900, down from $2,900. Some cold comfort there.

No toys for me for a while: in fact, bill payment is going to require some juggling.

In the face of those numbers, I don't feel too bad about ordering a Modi 2 Uber as retail therapy. No Ragnarok or Yggdrasil for me any time soon, though!

Sentiments appreciated.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #4,350 of 150,539
"I got the call from Drive Savers today and the adjusted quote is now between $2,300 and $2,600. Up from $900, down from $2,900"

Mr Valiant - They're 'avin a laff aren't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back