Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #3,932 of 155,166
Was it The Eurythmics who used to sing about wearing sunglasses at night ? You'd need to ... or sun-tanning goggles perhaps.

Timbuk3 ...only significant hit for them.  Got into several movies, TV shows.

Them not getting credit is an example of the Matthew Effect.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #3,933 of 155,166
Whatever man.

The guy has isolated his Mac and the Wyrd makes some improvements even by Jason's latest posting.

Please don't start a ridiculous OS religious debate.

Sorry I was jesting. I know that Mac OS is much better than Windows for a lot of applications like graphics and Audio. You have correctly surmised that my objection to Apple is entirely ideological and has no technical justification.

For those, like me, who are using Windows because it is an 'Open System', which is part of the reason for its numerous drawbacks, I found this guide very useful. You will all have done some of these things but I spotted a few I didn't know about and seem pretty important , like upping the scheduling priority of background tasks.

https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/203057850-PC-Optimization-Guide-for-Windows-8

There is also an option buried deep in advanced settings in Foobar which allows you to set a switch which stops the drive you are streaming from going into sleep mode. Take it from one who knows, this is a pretty sensible switch to set. It may not actually make a difference if your PC is fast enough but I have just set mine anyway.

How come I just chanced on that a few hours ago?That should be set automatically by the streaming software, it certainly shouldn't just be an option, or if it has to be for some reason, it should be right there on the first options menu.

I apologise if this PC stuff is in the wrong thread but it is relevant to the Wyrd discussion and all the USB stuff.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #3,934 of 155,166
A silly but true observation on extraordinarily bright blue LEDs.

The first time I saw one, and 3 or 4 years before they appeared everywhere else, was on an item of British fishing Tackle. A device called a 'bite alarm' which those of us who like to sleep while we are fishing use. Thousands of these are used every night in the UK.

No this is not a joke.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3,938 of 155,166

Hey Mr. French Canada ,

You're Composer guy couldn't hear Schiit with those headphones on his head in such a manner .  
  And , why don't they allow Minors , too dirty ? 
  And , they knew you're age when they got your Credit Info .  
  And  , why not one of the French Composers ? , a German Symphony guy seems rather … 

Tony ( just North of Windsor Canada ) in Michigan

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #3,939 of 155,166
<SNIP>

Without the Wyrd, my 009s can be discribed as very neutral, but slightly towards the analytical side. With the Wyrd, again neutral but now slightly towards the warm side. The Wyrd adds a richness to the SQ and with more naturally revealed details. This helped opened up the soundstage and made the recordings both more individual sounding and enjoyable. Not a night and day difference, but a positive and perceptive difference without a negative that I could hear.

All in all, the Wyrd offers a postitive effect on my system's SQ so no immediate need to upgrade my Gungnir -at least until the Yggy is released.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats it for now. I have work to do.

I completely agree. I just got my Wyrd today and have been doing some comparisons. I think your comment about an added richness to the SQ and more naturally revealed details, and more opened soundstage are exactly what I hear. Noise floor is lower, which likely contributes to all of the above. The only downside is I am using a $350 Audioquest Coffee USB cable on a $99 product! 
rolleyes.gif

This is very consistent with what I hear when making improvements to cleaning up power delivery; I hear the same benefits when putting on a new, quality, power cord. Both my Mac Mini and Gungnir use a Shunyata Venom3 Source power cord, and both are plugged into a Shunyata Triton power distributor. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #3,942 of 155,166

Yup, that's what I am going to do...electrical tape.

Yeah, I find it works best to cover up an annoying LED, and when you remove it, in most cases it leaves no residue, and if it does, it's really easy to clean off.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #3,943 of 155,166

Yup, that's what I am going to do...electrical tape.

Try a piece of 'scotch magic tape' and then use a 'magic marker' to 'paint' a dot over the led.
And by adding more (or less) 'paint' you can tailor the amount of light that 'gets out'.
It's all in the magic…  
atsmile.gif

That way you can still tell when it's on etc. and the tape can be removed easily with out much of a mess.
And electrical tape WILL leave a mess after a while.

JJ

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #3,944 of 155,166
  Try a piece of 'scotch magic tape' and then use a 'magic marker' to 'paint' a dot over the led.
And by adding more (or less) 'paint' you can tailor the amount of light that 'gets out'.
It's all in the magic…  
atsmile.gif

That way you can still tell when it's on etc. and the tape can be removed easily with out much of a mess.
And electrical tape WILL leave a mess after a while.

JJ

Good idea, I will do that. I could also make the dot another color, too, I guess. 

I had a Wadia 121 for a while, and the blue LEDs on that were outta control. Plus, way too many of them. I sold it to pay for my Gungnir. Much happier now! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back