Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 18, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #3,257 of 150,635
  I think this. If black was available when I purchased, I woulda def went black. once you go black... =P

I can't believe it took like 5 pages for somebody to make that joke. Son, I am disappoint.

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #3,259 of 150,635

Hello Poland ,

How did you discover Asgard in Poland ? , I thought these Schiit Guys were a niche California thing that only the Old British Colonials would  know about .

Tony in Michigan 
ps. we have a superb Polish Dinner Place in : Cross Village , Michigan -- called : Legs ,  the place overlooks Lake Michigan , it's one of the finest Dinning Places in the State ,  it's a Resort kinda place , staffed by Poles from Chicago Area , seasonally .

Through Head-Fi which I discovered through Levelcap's youtube video on Audio-Technica AD700

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #3,260 of 150,635
I hope that with the release of the expensive Ygdrasil, Schiit won't forget about the affordable audio market. I'll be waiting for the Loki mkII with DSD256 for $149. That seems like a really good deal, and should sound great too. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #3,261 of 150,635
I hope that with the release of the expensive Ygdrasil, Schiit won't forget about the affordable audio market. I'll be waiting for the Loki mkII with DSD256 for $149. That seems like a really good deal, and should sound great too. :)
From the sound of it, you might be waiting a really long time for that. Jason has said several times now that Loki demand isn't very high.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #3,262 of 150,635
Jason has said several times now that Loki demand isn't very high.

That's not surprising, I don't have any interest in the DSD64-limited Loki either. If Schiit enables dsd256 on the mkII version, and again, keeps the affordable price tag (or the price remains near the original level), they have my ear, and money. 

Let the well-heeled audiophiles have their + $2000 Ygdrassils, and those who can't afford it, the 149$ DSD256 Loki mkII. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #3,263 of 150,635
  That's not surprising, I don't have any interest in the DSD64-limited Loki either. If Schiit enables dsd256 on the mkII version, and again, keeps the affordable price tag (or the price remains near the original level), they have my ear, and money. 

Let the well-heeled audiophiles have their + $2000 Ygdrassils, and those who can't afford it, the 149$ DSD256 Loki mkII. 
wink_face.gif

Do you actually have any DSD256 music? It's my understanding that that catalog is very limited.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #3,264 of 150,635

Do you actually have any DSD256 music? It's my understanding that that catalog is very limited.

The number of DSD128 and DSD256 releases appears to be growing, but I'm planning to upsample all my redbook CDs to DSD256 as well so the Loki mkII could play those too, and what's important without the brickwall filtering. For $149 (or close to it) this kind of solution looks like an absolute steal.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #3,265 of 150,635

The number of DSD128 and DSD256 releases appears to be growing, but I'm planning to upsample all my redbook CDs to DSD256 as well so the Loki mkII could play those too, and what's important without the brickwall filtering. For $149 (or close to it) this kind of solution looks like an absolute steal.

I think you might be assuming that there will be a Loki MKII a little too hard. Unless it was mentioned somewhere else or shown at RMAF and I didn't hear about it. I mean, I could be totally wrong and the Schiit guys are going to do it. It just doesn't sound like it from what Jason and Mike have said about their dislike of DSD.

Also, ripping from redbook CDs to DSD isn't going to make them sound better. They're already super compressed, nothing can bring back what they already don't have. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #3,266 of 150,635
  I think you might be assuming that there will be a Loki MKII a little too hard. Unless it was mentioned somewhere else or shown at RMAF and I didn't hear about it. I mean, I could be totally wrong and the Schiit guys are going to do it. It just doesn't sound like it from what Jason and Mike have said about their dislike of DSD.

Also, ripping from redbook CDs to DSD isn't going to make them sound better. They're already super compressed, nothing can bring back what they already don't have. 

I only wanted to express my hope that Schiit won't abandon the affordable audio market, by limiting their offering to + $2000 components from now on. A $149 DSD256 Loki mkII would offer great value for money, as far as the affordable audio components go. I doubt that anyone could top that Schiit at this price point. 
cool.gif

P.S. Removing brickwall filtering from the CD playback makes redbook Cds sound better, there seems to be a general consensus on this one, which is a pretty rare thing to observe in the audio industry.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,267 of 150,635
  I only wanted to express my hope that Schiit won't abandon the affordable audio market, by limiting their offering to + $2000 components from now on.

Affordable audio market is Schiit's bread and butter. $2000+ components are "statement" products and technology development platforms for future trickle downs. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #3,268 of 150,635

I only wanted to express my hope that Schiit won't abandon the affordable audio market, by limiting their offering to + $2000 components from now on. A $149 DSD256 Loki mkII would offer great value for money, as far as the affordable audio components go. I doubt that anyone could top that Schiit at this price point. 
cool.gif

P.S. Removing brickwall filtering from the CD playback makes redbook Cds sound better, there seems to be a general consensus on this one, which is a pretty rare thing to observe in the audio industry.

I doubt that a Loki Mk II is on the horizon given how poorly the Loki has sold ... maybe if you make it in black, Jason? If you make a black Loki II with DSD256, I'm sure everyone will buy it ... LOL!

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #3,269 of 150,635

I doubt that a Loki Mk II is on the horizon given how poorly the Loki has sold ... maybe if you make it in black, Jason? 

The color options are of no importance to me, as long as the Loki mkII has replaced the old AKM dac chip with the newer AK4490EQ which supports DSD256, and Schiit's own HQ low-pass filter. The modifications shouldn't cost that much, and that's why I think this Schiit would be hard to beat in this price range. Native DSD playback up to 11.298MHz for, say $179. Plus the freedom to use any third-party upsamplers for redbook upsampling. Who said that affordable components can't offer great SQ for the money.

I may not be able to afford the Ygdrassil, but this Loki mkII dac would be a killer alternative, actually. 
ph34r.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #3,270 of 150,635
The color options are of no importance to me, as long as the Loki mkII has replaced the old AKM dac chip with the newer AK4490EQ which supports DSD256, and Schiit's own HQ low-pass filter. The modifications shouldn't cost that much, and that's why I think this Schiit would be hard to beat in this price range. Native DSD playback up to 11.298MHz for, say $179. Plus the freedom to use any third-party upsamplers for redbook upsampling. Who said that affordable components can't offer great SQ for the money. :ph34r:

Unless you've got some insider information, I'm pretty sure there's no Loki mk2, and if you've read the rest of this thread I think it's pretty clear there will likely never be.

Yes, you'd buy it, but a handful of sales would hardly justify such a product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back