Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 1, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #2,912 of 150,331
  Hey all, sorry for the late notice, but I'll have to skip the chapter this week—things are just a little too crazy heading into Rocky Mountain Audio Fest/CanJam. Hope to see you there!

So close, and yet....

Will be on vacation in New Mexico, but I think the itinerary is such that it would involve 14-16 hours of driving to spend a couple of hours at RMAF.  Bummer.  Would love to've seen/heard Yggy (oh yeah, and you guys!) at the show.

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #2,915 of 150,331
Cheer up, new Schiit is going to be revealed in the near future. Details about a phono preamp, details about Yggy, a new integrated amp for the Schiit stack, and a bunch of mysterious things that we have no information on, that's plenty of schiit to make up for lack of an update.

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #2,916 of 150,331
Cheer up, new Schiit is going to be revealed in the near future. Details about a phono preamp, details about Yggy, a new integrated amp for the Schiit stack, and a bunch of mysterious things that we have no information on, that's plenty of schiit to make up for lack of an update.

Phono preamp!?

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #2,917 of 150,331
Yeah, they had a phono unit at Newport earlier this year, approximate price $130 + S/H.

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #2,918 of 150,331
It's called the Mani and does MM and MC for $130ish. (Last we saw anyways.) I'm probably most excited for it. It would make getting in to vinyl VERY easy and affordable for tons of young people with less free cash.

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #2,919 of 150,331
It's called the Mani and does MM and MC for $130ish. (Last we saw anyways.) I'm probably most excited for it. It would make getting in to vinyl VERY easy and affordable for tons of young people with less free cash.

It will be really great to see how it stacks up against other phono stages, especially if it competes well with some of the mid-range offerings.

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #2,920 of 150,331
They announced another magni/modi priced product. Suspense is killing me. Hopefully it's an ADC

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,921 of 150,331

It will be really great to see how it stacks up against other phono stages, especially if it competes well with some of the mid-range offerings.

Agreed; this argument confuses me. Cambride Audio's 551P is $140. Pro-Ject has a no-frills MM box at $100. There's a bunch of stuff in the $170-200 range. I don't think the market has been held inaccessible by the price. The MC capability is less common in the low-priced offerings, but then it's not like the market is flooded with a bunch of high quality inexpensive MC cartridges, either. Some of the more capable ones under $1000 are high-output anyway (i.e. use the MM stage). Maybe it ends up beating the pants off all of those offerings, but nobody's hesitating to pull the trigger on getting into vinyl right now because they can't find an inexpensive phono pre. Hopefully what people are getting with the Mani is a lot of capability for the money, moreso than access to an inaccessible market.

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2,922 of 150,331

Agreed; this argument confuses me. Cambride Audio's 551P is $140. Pro-Ject has a no-frills MM box at $100. There's a bunch of stuff in the $170-200 range. I don't think the market has been held inaccessible by the price. The MC capability is less common in the low-priced offerings, but then it's not like the market is flooded with a bunch of high quality inexpensive MC cartridges, either. Some of the more capable ones under $1000 are high-output anyway (i.e. use the MM stage). Maybe it ends up beating the pants off all of those offerings, but nobody's hesitating to pull the trigger on getting into vinyl right now because they can't find an inexpensive phono pre. Hopefully what people are getting with the Mani is a lot of capability for the money, moreso than access to an inaccessible market.

I will admit to being a bit ignorant of the state of the vinyl ecosystem, having only started to make the most tentative of steps towards a setup of my own. The problem I have is that I go around on boards similar to this one, and most people are talking about high end stuff, not entry level. I'll admit that my perspective is skewed, and I probably shouldn't have said anything. Regardless, I'm hoping that Mani will be very competitive in the apparently crowded ecosystem.

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,923 of 150,331
(Speculation) Well, I think Jason's message in this thread has been don't build something just to be an also-ran. If Mani's in a crowded segment it's probably got something that meaningfully differentiates it...(/Speculation)

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #2,924 of 150,331
(Speculation) Well, I think Jason's message in this thread has been don't build something just to be an also-ran. If Mani's in a crowded segment it's probably got something that meaningfully differentiates it...(/Speculation)

Discrete amplification stages rather than ICs would differentiate it at this price range.

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #2,925 of 150,331

Users who are viewing this thread

Back