Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,576 of 150,288
I used to teach at two California Universities back in the 90's.  I was also running my own business and consulting for a couple others at the same time.  I can't tell you how many times I heard some jerk in industry say "those who can, do, and those who can't, teach."  I loved looking at them and replying, "And only those with very exceptional skills can do both."  That usually shut them up. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #1,577 of 150,288
  I used to teach at two California Universities back in the 90's.  I was also running my own business and consulting for a couple others at the same time.  I can't tell you how many times I heard some jerk in industry say "those who can, do, and those who can't, teach."  I loved looking at them and replying, "And only those with very exceptional skills can do both."  That usually shut them up. 
biggrin.gif

I love it!

I have no illusions about my ability to teach. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #1,578 of 150,288
I supposed academic line serves well to those who prefer doing research, as it gives them the most freedom. However, most teaching staffs stopped at teaching, or focused too much on research and neglecting their teaching duties. Hard to find them who can do both at the same time. 
This article really hit the spot, since preconception on management level is that, they only contribute to the spendings of the company, but not earning them. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #1,580 of 150,288
biggrin.gif

-And those who can't teach, teach gym. :) (I think it is a Robin Williams line from 'Dead Poets Society'; credit where credit is due)

I'm an engineer - most of the time, a pretty darn good one - and I've tried my hand at teaching. Turned out to be incredibly difficult; knowing what to do to achieve a certain result is one thing.

Being able to explain that to someone else in a way which enables them to understand and build on what you tried to teach them, rather than just mindlessly repeat what you said - a completely different matter!

Nowadays I really enjoy the teaching bit, though - I work in an R&D department, but spend about a quarter of my time in our workshop, guiding the apprentices. Great fun - and much better results than when I had to try (and fail miserably!) teaching a group in a classroom...

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,581 of 150,288
Those who say that "those who can't do, teach" usually won't last more than 5 minutes in a classroom.

The amount of patience, a cool head and an extra long temper needed to teach someone what you do is astronomical. I tried teaching people, adults at that, to do my job and quit after a week. I hate to think what teaching kids and teenagers would be like.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,582 of 150,288
Those who say that "those who can't do, teach" usually won't last more than 5 minutes in a classroom.

The amount of patience, a cool head and an extra long temper needed to teach someone what you do is astronomical. I tried teaching people, adults at that, to do my job and quit after a week. I hate to think what teaching kids and teenagers would be like.

I work at a university in a staff position and as an adjunct and it's the truth - there are certainly people who teach that can't hack it without the protections of academia, but there are plenty of hotshot private sector folks who couldn't effectively teach people a thing about their profession.  The trick is finding people who are good teachers with good knowledge and experience of how their field actually works.

I should add, my sister teaches high school English and my brother in law taught middle school math.  While perhaps I could teach high school, I couldn't do it nearly as well.  Not so much presenting the info in an engaging way but the "classroom management" portion of it - I'd be fed up quick.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,583 of 150,288
  Not so much presenting the info in an engaging way but the "classroom management" portion of it - I'd be fed up quick.

Ha! To be fair, Alex did say something like "Well, Tony and Eddie are kinda like kids, so it's not much different than what I was doing," when he started. 

He was probably also thinking, "And Jason and Mike, too..."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,584 of 150,288

Ha! To be fair, Alex did say something like "Well, Tony and Eddie are kinda like kids, so it's not much different than what I was doing," when he started. 

In all fairness, this is probably not true as he hasn't called either of you into his "office", asked you to "assume the position" and given you a good "working over" ... unless it was consensual - in which case we must truly admire the man's adaptability and versatility ... 
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,587 of 150,288

Alex shouldn't be pointing fingers, he did take a job at a company named "Schiit." I hope he has a healthy sense of humor.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,588 of 150,288
My current business card title is "Member of the Technical Staff."  It means either "Old Fart who knows too much for us to let him retire" or "I still get a paycheck even though I'm approaching uselessness."  :)

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,589 of 150,288
My current card title is SME, or 'subject matter expert' for the acronymally challenged.  Which is a euphemism for "the buck stops here", usually after they've already mucked it up without consulting first.

Hmm... now that I think on it, "Old Fart who knows too much..." would probably fit me as well.  Except my monolithic company management can't even spell unexpendable.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,590 of 150,288
I don't have a card. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back