Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,276 of 150,744
A Border State dates from the War Between the States, on the border between South and North ( or Midwest).

You are referring to the war of northern aggression. Just wasn't sure of the context.
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,277 of 150,744
Jun 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,280 of 150,744
  I think, at this point, they're aiming for fatter wallets.

For me, the only tangible differences between the Modi and the Bifrost are (1) the Bifrost can handle and switch between different inputs, if you were to have two different sources, and (2) the Bifrost stacks nicely with the Assgard.

A $250 ish DAC with optical, coax, and USB would be nice. Pair that with an Asgard, and you can have up to three sources hooked up to a pair of headphones and desktop speakers without any awkward cable switching.

Maybe I'm just deaf, but I can scarcely tell a difference between my Modi+Magni and my Macbook Pro's output (with HD598 and AH-D2000 -- perhaps a slightly different story if I get a pair of orthos though) so I'm not sure I could ever stomach the cost of a Bifrost USB. So sure, there's probably a market, but such a DAC would likely cannibalize too many Bifrost sales.

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,281 of 150,744

For me, the only tangible differences between the Modi and the Bifrost are (1) the Bifrost can handle and switch between different inputs, if you were to have two different sources, and (2) the Bifrost stacks nicely with the Assgard.

A $250 ish DAC with optical, coax, and USB would be nice. Pair that with an Asgard, and you can have up to three sources hooked up to a pair of headphones and desktop speakers without any awkward cable switching.

Maybe I'm just deaf, but I can scarcely tell a difference between my Modi+Magni and my Macbook Pro's output (with HD598 and AH-D2000 -- perhaps a slightly different story if I get a pair of orthos though) so I'm not sure I could ever stomach the cost of a Bifrost USB. So sure, there's probably a market, but such a DAC would likely cannibalize too many Bifrost sales.

In the world of DACs a fully loaded Bifrost is not expensive, also as you say cannibalizing Bifrost sales would probably be the result of such a product. Also Schiit is not a huge company that can have a large assorment of products, I suspect that they have to pick and choose carefully. Actually they are starting to line up quite a bit of kit.

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,282 of 150,744
I like the relative simplicity of Schiit's lineup. I don't think they need more products in lower-mid tier, otherwise it would get too confusing.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #1,283 of 150,744
I'm not sure I really see how you can shoe-horn another DAC in between the Modi and the Bifrost.

You want bare bones?                           Modi
You want feature full single ended?         Bifrost
Balanced?                                          Gungnir 
End game?                                         Yggdrasil 

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,284 of 150,744

Most macbooks have a pretty good quality audio out, so this actually isn't too surprising. Really, the only reason you would need an amp with one would be if you weren't getting enough power out of the macbook (for example a pair of orthos, as you said), or if the noise floor was too high.

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,285 of 150,744
  Most macbooks have a pretty good quality audio out, so this actually isn't too surprising. Really, the only reason you would need an amp with one would be if you weren't getting enough power out of the macbook (for example a pair of orthos, as you said), or if the noise floor was too high.

I have a similar "problem" with my Sony Vaio laptop. I can't tell the difference between it and the $150 usb dac that I got to tide me over until I decide which Schitt dac to buy. But first I think I really need to ditch my old Grado SR60 (the original pre-SR60i) for something vastly better! I probably couldn't tell the difference between the Vaio and the Yggy with those things!

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,286 of 150,744
  But first I think I really need to ditch my old Grado SR60 (the original pre-SR60i) for something vastly better! I probably couldn't tell the difference between the Vaio and the Yggy with those things!

Lol, your wallet won't know what hit it. 
smile.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,287 of 150,744

Well you certainly are, but I'm a little worried that jacal01 was being serious...

What, are you implying that my particular brand of alchemy doesn't hold up to cursory scrutiny? 
wink.gif

OK, den. I'm presently of the understanding is that signal distortion due to signal data frequency partial wavelength rebounding is a valid phenomenon.  If this is acceptable, then my further understanding is that cable lengths in whole multiples of this frequency harmonic would minimize this destructive echo effect.  Hence nodal lengths.

Which are precisely right angle juxtaposed to their respective Eigenvectors.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #1,288 of 150,744
Listening to In Da Gada De Vida for the first time in many years last night on my Valhalla HD650 and PSB M4U1's and the mix was so badly done I had DC it! Makes me wonder if I truly would enjoy a highly revealing HD800 in the future. For those that have the 800's, what percentage of your music is so poorly recorded that it is unlistenable?

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,289 of 150,744
Found a Brian Jonestown Massacre And This is Our Music reissue just recently that was such a mashed up mess through my HD800s that I had to switch out to my TH900s to get some semblance of musicality back.  However, this is generally the exception to the rule, even with compressed mixing.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #1,290 of 150,744
Listening to In Da Gada De Vida for the first time in many years last night on my Valhalla HD650 and PSB M4U1's and the mix was so badly done I had DC it! Makes me wonder if I truly would enjoy a highly revealing HD800 in the future. For those that have the 800's, what percentage of your music is so poorly recorded that it is unlistenable?

I have found the reverse can be true.

But it does take tweaking the entire system to achieve this ability to listen to really poorly recorded music and not lunge for the volume control, or the stop button…

In stock form and with a system that doesn't deliver a suitable high quality signal, yes 800's could well be unlistenable on some music.

But when the system comes into focus, even the crappily recorded music can be enticing.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back