Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 30, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #145,981 of 155,164
OK, maybe others here know, but what in the hell did yu DO that had you move that many times. I spent 30 years in the same nuke plant.
I spent the majority of my working life in manufacturing management, predominantly in sheet metal fabrication. What I enjoyed most was turning around a poorly operating plant and take it from rarely (or never) meeting metrics to consistently exceeding them. I got bored too easily with the day-in, day out regular operations once a plant was performing well, so I'd always seek out (or I'd be sought out) for the next plant that needed fixin'. :slight_smile: That's what gave me the personal reward and motivation and excitement to enjoy what I did, and that also was behind most of the moves.

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #145,982 of 155,164
Not empty. Filled with cryo-treated Texas ice when hell froze over that time @bcowen accidently ate Texas BBQ when negotiating with the triple-wall cardboard cartel while contracting Fotonic cryogenic storage in Antarctica from his satellite home office (Pacer). 🤣
LOL, but no, no, no! I can't believe everyone keeps getting this wrong. I negotiated on double-wall cardboard! Only! I try to emulate Schiit by using only high quality 'board without resorting to expensive 'jewelry' like triple-wall that adds exponentially to the cost while doing nothing to enhance the sound strength. Please make a note of this. 🤣

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #145,983 of 155,164
No, it's got a lot of info I don't want to share (price, who I bought from, etc) (edit: I ran a simple formula summing the prices I've spent on tubes total, and let's just say i don't even want to share this sheet with my wife lol)

I mostly roll the gain stage, I don't think the follower stage makes nearly the difference...
🤣 🤣 🤣 The most I've ever paid for a tube is $2. My wife can confirm this. :slight_smile:

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #145,985 of 155,164
Here is that section of my tube spreadsheet (yes, I know). So far 1962 Tele 1966 Tele have been the best but I need to spend more time with the Amperex. I've actually spent more on my 12AX7/12AU7 stash and may need to try some of them. Ebay can be so dicey sometimes I just email Brent Jessee and tell him what sound I'm looking for and pay the premium.

Screenshot_20240330_074642_Sheets.jpg
Brent Jesse is a very reliable source for tubes.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #145,986 of 155,164
I think that Bill might be in the witness protection program.
I did spend a lot of time in the witless protection program, if that counts. :laughing:

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #145,987 of 155,164
I spent the majority of my working life in manufacturing management, predominantly in sheet metal fabrication. What I enjoyed most was turning around a poorly operating plant and take it from rarely (or never) meeting metrics to consistently exceeding them. I got bored too easily with the day-in, day out regular operations once a plant was performing well, so I'd always seek out (or I'd be sought out) for the next plant that needed fixin'. :slight_smile: That's what gave me the personal reward and motivation and excitement to enjoy what I did, and that also was behind most of the moves.
I love where I live and gained some satisfaction from various positions in electronics but for me, it was always finding joy outside of work. I competed in sports, chess, and various card games in the US and Canada. I could find solace in literature, music, and creating objects of beauty as well as functionality. Most all of my hobbies carried over into retirement so it was an easy transition for me. My son is quite similar, he moved to DC for work and remains there.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #145,988 of 155,164
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #145,989 of 155,164
So when the plant's been turned around, and the metrics are finally meeting or exceeding target, did you take time to kick back and have a BBQ with the workforce to celebrate? For me, a little of that was required prior to heading for the next challenge, whether at the same company or a different one. :)

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #145,991 of 155,164
So when the plant's been turned around, and the metrics are finally meeting or exceeding target, did you take time to kick back and have a BBQ with the workforce to celebrate? For me, a little of that was required prior to heading for the next challenge, whether at the same company or a different one. :)
Oh, absolutely. Recognition and reward were *always* primary ingredients in getting (and keeping) people motivated and engaged. You can get a nice building and nice machinery and nice tools and nice whatever, but the difference in a poorly performing plant and an outperforming one is always the people. Take care of them and they'll take care of you.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #145,992 of 155,164
Oh, absolutely. Recognition and reward were *always* primary ingredients in getting (and keeping) people motivated and engaged. You can get a nice building and nice machinery and nice tools and nice whatever, but the difference in a poorly performing plant and an outperforming one is always the people. Take care of them and they'll take care of you.
Right on, sir. I didn't have enough bosses who thought that way.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #145,994 of 155,164
Right on, sir. I didn't have enough bosses who thought that way.
I was generally one of the bosses so I tried to think the same way, always gave credit were it was due and not only did I conduct evaluations I always let the employees evaluate me anonymously. Generally you throw out the best review and the worst and hope to learn from that which is in the middle. Today I am working with some mini radial speakers just to clear up space in my shop. After those maybe a headphone stand or two just so I have something new to think about. :beerchug:

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #145,995 of 155,164
Nice start! Now incent them by offering to match their annual Roth contributions, and you'll be providing them with comfortable retirements long after you're shuffled off this mortal coil.
I can’t match NUTHIN after paying two full four year university tuitions AND in the case of son #1, paying for all those flying hours/lessons/fuel during college (additional $10K per year).

The good news is they both save like crazy. Toyota-son is maxing 401K from the start, which they match the first 5% (and they also have a separate traditional pension on top of that). He’s saving like mad to buy a house before it becomes truly impossible. Son #1 (Pilot) already has bought first house, and they also save like crazy, maxing out their bennies whilst below 30 years old.

Funny story, I “showed the maths” about compound interest to them both early-on; and shared Einsteins (attributed, anyways) quote: “compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe”…

And then reality hit:

Both saw what happened when our financial lives took the massive hit in 2018 (whilst both were in full-on university): Father in Law died, Investors pulled out of startup with NO notice, no severance, no nothing (we had already sold our first two customers, but they lacked patience and vision; we were about 2 years ahead of the market. They thought they could sell off our IP without US… stupid financial types). Anyways, because we had saved a lot (Roths, 401Ks, emergency funds, Variable Whole Life Policy (from when you *could* do them and before the government made them illegal), we didn’t collapse, and they got through school. We DID have to sell our big Mass house, but that’s not a lose, per se).

Now I gotta work and fully recover from the savings draw-down; so no more incentivization gonna happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back