Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #138,931 of 155,166
I had a pair of "wow" moments with my Schiit last evening, which is leading me to a question (that likely only I can answer).

So, the question I'm struggling with is, if this pair of mid-fi cans ... do I need to look at higher-end cans? ... heard any of these yet but I'm wondering with my tinnitis and lower acuity in my left ear, will the difference between what I have and the higher-end cans be that much greater and obvious?...
My hearing has never been anywhere near normal and yet I hear differences (congenital). I almost certainly don't hear the differences that a normal-hearing-endowed person would hear but I hear differences.

I think, with the plasticity of the human brain, it's not so much about what the instruments (i.e. ears, eyes, etc) detect as how the brain interprets what those instruments detect.

That, and I am favoring a hypotheses along the lines of the more of a cognoscenti one is, the more one senses. So, a newbie to the symphony may come away with an impression of "man! those tympani are loud" while a frequent concert goer will think, "that percussionist really knew how to make those tympani sound like boiling water."

HST, I personally can't imagine spending more than I did on my Eta Closed :-D I think I heard some higher end cans at CapFest but, without a direct comparison, my thoughts were along the lines of "those were nice."

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #138,932 of 155,166
She offered you cinnamon rolls? Just some cinnamon rolls? OK, sure. Whatever you say. I'll play along. 🤣
Man does not live by money and whisky alone. :ksc75smile:

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #138,933 of 155,166
Interesting. Your state must have a lower reporting threshold. I thought it was a federal-directed tax thing, but apparently the individual states can set their own limits.

One thing after reading a little further: in 2024, sales exceeding $600 for the year will result in a 1099-K. Not $20k and not $5k, but $600. That's been the same threshold number for years for other miscellaneous income, but now it applies to Ebay sales as well. So you bought something with income that had already been taxed, and now if you want to sell it you get to pay income tax again for however much you sell it for. Just peachy. I'll stop there so as not to violate forum policies. But Grrrrrrr. :frowning2:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/changes-to-ebay-and-your-1099-k

1707327736816.png
1099-K is sent by IRS, not by your state. $600 is way too crazy :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #138,936 of 155,166
Photos
- Have a clean space to take 6-10 quality photos of the piece of gear - take a whole bunch of photos and then cull to the 6-10 best ones
- Natural lighting is preferred if you can do it
- Dust is very photogenic, and will photo-bomb you more than you want
This is important! My pet peeve with Steve Guttenberg's otherwise fine videos is his neglect in cleaning the equipment he is taking photos of. He just does not give a sh!t about it. 😝

Fantastic list of steps for selling gear!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #138,937 of 155,166
Really really like this one. May have to find a good cinnamon roll recipe
After l take care of a few close friends on here I may build a few things for material costs plus bourbon.🤪 You do not want to hear my preferences in scotch. Oh and all will have removable black felt.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #138,938 of 155,166
1099-K is sent by IRS, not by your state. $600 is way too crazy :frowning2:
The 1099-K is sent by Ebay.

I thought it was the Federal IRS that set the minimum reporting threshold, but apparently that amount is set (or can be set) by the state(s).

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #138,939 of 155,166
Feb 7, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #138,941 of 155,166
Well, yeah. BBQ. But good point. 🤣
Do they even have BBQ in Walmart parking lots or wherever you are living these days?😉

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #138,942 of 155,166
After l take care of a few close friends on here I may build a few things for material costs plus bourbon.🤪 You do not want to hear my preferences in scotch.

Just looked up some 40 year Belvedere. I thought Pappy was only for the ultra-rich. 🤣

Oh and all will have removable black felt.

So no sorbothane? Whew. I feel like life is looking continuously rosier in so very many ways. :smile:

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #138,943 of 155,166
Nope - any 1099 is sent by the organization that issued funds, both to you and the IRS
As I recall, if I used contract labor and paid more than X amount of dollars I would have to file 1099 forms.

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #138,944 of 155,166
Just looked up some 40 year Belvedere. I thought Pappy was only for the ultra-rich. 🤣

So no sorbothane? Whew. I feel like life is looking continuously rosier in so very many ways. :smile:
I do own sorbothane you know, you best behave.🤪

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #138,945 of 155,166
Do they even have BBQ in Walmart parking lots or wherever you are living these days?😉
Yes they do! Well, I don't know about WalMart -- I upgraded to the Target parking lot weeks ago. My new address:

Target Parking Lot
Faded yellow '74 AMC Pacer (in the event of more than one, it's the one with cardboard duct-taped inside the windows)
Atlanta, GA.

That should get anything right to me. For now. 🤣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back