Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 3, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #138,451 of 155,166
Feb 3, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #138,452 of 155,166
OK. For me it's a toss-up as to who has the most awesome job -- @Jason Stoddard or @sixergixer?! :D
I'm considerably less stressed than Jason usually is, I bet. I strive to make my Blending House a chill place even though I often have some tiiiiiiigggghhhht deadlines.

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #138,453 of 155,166
Quick product question: I’ve been looking at upgrades over my Asgard 3 (just kicking tires at the moment) and I was wondering: any Asgard 3 owners who also have Lyr+…which one runs hotter? People say Asgard 3 runs hot but I feel more like it’s warm to the touch. Alsooooo, is the upgrade worth it from a price to performance standpoint (subjectively I mean for the sound not measurements)

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #138,454 of 155,166
Asgard 3 gets "warm"?

Asgard 1 says hold my beer 🍺 🔥🚒🔥

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #138,455 of 155,166
Feb 3, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #138,456 of 155,166
Any opera fans on here who also have an opinion on what they think is the best Wagner Ring Cycle recording? Looking for full cycles, not individual operas.

I've got the old vinyl box sets of the Solti cycle and have worked my way through a bit of that but am always curious what other people like. Are there any modern cycles that are well regarded?

Currently browsing my way through a selection of gins produced at my distillery. 😎

IMG_6400.jpeg
What%27s_Opera_Doc_Lobby_Card.PNG

My mother tried to get me more intradasted in opera and I sometimes enjoy Classical Music but I could not name any favorites. I'm one of those folk that is sitting in the dark at the theater when some music plays and I blurt out, "I know that one!".

Actually that has happened at a few ballets with my spousal unit. Needless to say, I no longer am invited much less wanted.

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #138,457 of 155,166
Any opera fans on here who also have an opinion on what they think is the best Wagner Ring Cycle recording? Looking for full cycles, not individual operas.

I've got the old vinyl box sets of the Solti cycle and have worked my way through a bit of that but am always curious what other people like. Are there any modern cycles that are well regarded?

Currently browsing my way through a selection of gins produced at my distillery. 😎

IMG_6400.jpeg
I believe Mr. Moffat preferred the Solti version. But not sure what recording he liked best.

Might be worth checking out his thread. There was lots of discussion about it, IIRC.

Post in thread 'What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter.784471/post-15725871

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #138,458 of 155,166
Beethoven Piano Concertos 4&5. Vladimir Ashkenazy. have enjoyed this CD immensely over the years. some passages within the whole, bring a smile as the piano ascends into, and descends into, madness. Bifrost 2/64 does fine to my ears. SPDIF/ ML31

IMG_2676.jpeg

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #138,459 of 155,166
Feb 3, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #138,460 of 155,166
Caol Ila has that slightly waxy mouthfeel, I remember. I believe it is from allowing a carefully calculated amount of the tails into the collection tank - 'tails' being the third part of the three-part distillation process of Heads --> Hearts --> Tails.

Heads: Volatile poisonous compounds that boil out first - great for cleaning things and also part of what made moonshine so dangerous if 'shiners started their collection too early.

Hearts: The yummy part that gets collected for further processing, except when it's whiskey, it's rarely so yummy at this point without aging in oak. Sometimes called White Dog or New Make.

Tails: The heavier compounds that boil off last. Some of this part can be allowed into the collection tank to add a bit of mouthfeel and character to the spirit and is a real part of the distiller's craft. Eventually becomes oily and gross and this part often gets collected separately and re-distilled with the next batch.
Thanks for this. I can see myself trying to pass this knowledge on, most likely when I’m a bit too pissed but at least it’s similar to oil refining fractions. So they just add a bit of diesel.

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #138,461 of 155,166
Phill Cook’s All These Years

Might be my favorite, this is what a Multibit DAC does differently record…
IMG_0105.jpeg

This is solo piano, from the keyboard player I first got to know from psych-folk band Megafun, who also played in several of Justin Vernon from Bon Iver‘s side projects, and probably most notably in Americana band Hiss Golden Messenger,

I don’t know what to call this. It has jazz, blues, gospel and folk, but it’s also only piano. Maybe Modern American Piano Concerta?

Whatever it is, it sounds great and multibit makes it shimmer.
I'm absolutely loving this. Thanks for the recommendation.

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #138,462 of 155,166
I would say yes for the good. To be honest, as a preamp to Rekkr, the FV and Valhalla2 were pretty equal and pretty darn good.

I had the Freya N sitting as a parallel preamp to my HT (running the separate amps feeding my my R and L speakers) and used it precisely once. That's when it hit me to use it as the preamp to Rekkr. But I was shockingly underwhelmed. Seemed quiter, less dynamic, less engaging. But now it's back to the FV/Valhalla2 enjoyment level. Maybe even a little better. There's maybe more detail retrieval.

I'm on my third LP trying to figure it all out. It may take a couple more to make a full decision. The sacrifices we make for our hobbies. 😂
Rolled out my Brimar CV4033 (non-Footscray) from the cathode follower side and rolled in Foton gold grid 6N6Ps. Not hating it. It's actually pretty good. Gotta give it more time to determine if it better than the CV4033s for me.

Running Raytheon 7728s as drivers, BTW.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #138,464 of 155,166
The other factor, not mentioned by Jason, is that many engineers have no desire to work in a manufacturing engineering environment. In my career of over 40 years in aerospace and communications electronics, I have interviewed many, many engineers and managers for open positions. With few exceptions, almost all of the engineers expressed a desire to work in a R&D environment, or to develop the next computer architecture, or invent a widget that does not exist. Very few were interested in manufacturing engineering, tooling, production test, etc., and for many of these whiz kids, manufacturing engineering was a second class occupation compared to design engineering.
This attitude is not as prevalent in Europe, nor does it exist in Asia, where manufacturing engineering is a highly regarded profession. Why? I have no idea, but, this attitude is a contributor to the loss of manufacturing capability in the US. To me, the challenge of making hundreds of widgets that are all the same, over a multi-year production run, managing the make-buy process, dealing with suppliers, and all of the plethora of production problems was a very challenging but very rewarding part of my career.

I spent the better part of 40 years working in a production environment and, let me tell you, it wears you down. At one point, as operations manager, my rule was this: if you call me in the middle of the night, just say Hello and I will call you back in 10 minutes. I was making too many bad decisions whilst half asleep. One of my favorite lines was from somebody in the plant coverage "weekend duty" rotation ... I might just tell you "by the power vested in me, just shut the damn thing down." Haha - yeah right.

And too, we were running continuous processes, not assembling Schiit (which is more detail-oriented), and we didn't have a dedicated customer blog to critique everything we did.
Thanks for the story, Jason, and best of luck. We appreciate y'all ... please don't forget to breathe! :)
I am in manufacturing, and my brother is a fresh tool and die engineer in plastics and it is very true - we "can't" find people to fill the open slots for the manufacturing site. He has a new coworker hired for polymer development and has related the coworker was expecting to do new material R&D, not existing material CI and QC work.

And now in the US (at least up here) all of the newer trucks the construction workers drive to enhance their masculinity have so many lights on them the oncoming traffic is blinded regardless of them having their high beams on or not. In high school, my old beater '71 F150 with "3 on the tree" had a million candlepower Q-beam spot light hanging beneath my stereo. Really wish I had that set up in my car for these "people" nowadays.
The other half is how tall these trucks are, ended up in the parking lot next to a new F150 and new F250 today, and both hoods were even with or above the roof of my car - it doesn't matter how many lights they have if my eyeballs are even with their headlights - its going to be blinding.

Edit: He has, not he as

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back