Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #136,352 of 155,193
How about a much less controversial topic, Bourbon!

Two other friends of mine and I are sampling Bourbon. My buddy realized that he had over 60+ after visiting Kentucky for a road trip with his wife. He decided to do a NCAA style bracket after he realized he had enough for the first round.

The initial pairings were all randomized.
  • Are we taking it seriously? Kind of at least to the point of trying them all neat and progressively adding drops of water
  • Do any of us care which ends up the final winner. Not really as we’re having to much fun sampling them
  • Do we discuss what we were all tasting and why we picked the winner of the pairing? Yes but with laughter and ribbing each other
  • We do a lot of solve of the worlds problems and promptly forget the solution by the next morning
What does this have to do with audio?
  • We are listening to vinyl during the sessions from all of our collections
  • Does my buddies system sound good? Yes, compared to most systems
  • Would I eq it like he does? No
  • Is there too much bass? Yes
  • Does he like the smiley face eq setting? Yes
Do any of our preferences for Bourbon or how his system sound matter? Not in the least bit as he likes it and it’s better than what most people listen to.

It all comes down to personal preferences and there is no right or wrong.

Here is the bracket so far. On any day some of the winners could flip.

1705285008433.jpeg

Enjoy!
Next Comes Alcoholics Anonymous ....? 😳

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #136,353 of 155,193
It's rather like... you know how in your own friends' group you have different people, some very clever, some who are a bit weird, and some whom you've been friends for so long you know their flaws and can tolerate them, or simply enjoy their insanity because you’re familiar with it? Sometimes it is more than one friend, but a few.
I can't think of a better description of the denizens of this particular forum. Nicely stated. :beerchug:

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #136,354 of 155,193
Is that an Anne McCaffrey cover?

NC BBQ has it's place: an excuse to extoll the virtue of TX BBQ.

It was fun for a while. I'm glad it seems to have reached the level of that joke about jail-birds telling jokes: "Number 23!", nobody laughs, "Some people just don't know how to tell a joke".

Wow the similarity from her art. But no that's not her cover. It's an AI search

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #136,355 of 155,193
I'm still waiting to hear my rig emit a plethora of paramecium. ** 😒

** I have no idea what that'll sound like, but I will know it when I hear it.
Those, sir would be a plethora of paramecia! English major to the rescue! (said no one ever…)

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #136,356 of 155,193
It's like sitting down at a table at a pub where a bunch of people who have known each other, mostly for many years, are gathered. You wont get it. They are still stuck on believing that links to their site are deleted too, when they haven't been for years.
Still, sometimes you can get quite useful commentary about gear on there, when someone posts something intelligent, but the worship of one person's opinions can get a bit much.
It's rather like... you know how in your own friends' group you have different people, some very clever, some who are a bit weird, and some whom you've been friends for so long you know their flaws and can tolerate them, or simply enjoy their insanity because you’re familiar with it? Sometimes it is more than one friend, but a few. That reminds me of a very intelligent friend whom I'd known for a long time who put it succinctly: "Blame's a rubbish concept - you adapt to peoples flaws, you don't throw holy water on them." That same friend got so pissed off when I banned him from our mutual IRC chat for being an ass, that he went out and held up a teenager at gunpoint and... I wont tell you the rest, but you get the idea.

Some people worship some sales talk and throw holy water everywhere because he/she bought an expensive piece of lousy equipment ...

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #136,357 of 155,193
@JamminVMI --

Dammit. Thanks for calling it out. I had paramecia but a quick check returned that paramecia was a fruit so, I went back to paramecium. Seems it is plural for paramecium as well as a fruit. That's what I get for skimming my due diligence. 🙄

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #136,358 of 155,193
@JamminVMI --

Dammit. Thanks for calling it out. I had paramecia but a quick check returned that paramecia was a fruit so, I went back to paramecium. Seems it is plural for paramecium as well as a fruit. That's what I get for skimming my due diligence. 🙄
I skim most of my day, so there’s that!

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #136,360 of 155,193
Hi guys,
I'm putting my MM2 for sale on the board here in a few days. Want to give someone here a heads up rather than it go to a stranger (stranger than this bunch?) Great shape, direct from Schiit, original box, etc. Works perfectly. $225 shipped conus. DM me if interested.
thanks

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #136,361 of 155,193
Some great views of the western isles in a video by a band with a great backstory:

3 guys with day jobs (fisherman, electrician, delivery driver) in Stornaway who wanted play music well enough to play the local pub once a month for free beer. In a very short time they put out an album and did a sold out a tour of Scotland, including selling out the 1,950 seat Barrowlands Ballroom in Glasgow in minutes, and they were the main act for BBC Scotland's New Year's Eve ceilidh 3-4 years ago.

There goes the theory that no one sings with an accent :smile:

* Until now I thought The Proclaimers would never relent that crown.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #136,362 of 155,193
Crosspost alert.

Here’s a picture of my remote “mod.” This is how I am able to make one click volume adjustments with Kara. Self adhesive “sequins“ from the craft store.

IMG_4051.jpeg

turning poop into jewellery :L3000:

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #136,363 of 155,193
A pic of plankton, from Wikipedia. I fail to see how anyone came up with a correlation with audio. smh

Marine_microplankton.jpg

It's pretty clear to me that there are lots of little audio waveforms there.
Maybe that's it??

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #136,364 of 155,193
For once I’m off topic….

I’m covering all my bases rn: wish me luck, I take comprehensive exams this coming Monday thru Thursday for my PhD—it’s the last step before dissertation in my field, and it’s basically an exam from hell. So wish me luck! I will use all I can get 🙏🏼Schiitizens lend me your strength! I will be writing for 72 hours while listening to my HD600 on the Schiit Fulla E at my office.
Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back