Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #130,291 of 155,196
When one door closes, open another one ( not necessarily a door).
Yea
IMG_1776.jpg

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #130,292 of 155,196
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #130,293 of 155,196
:slight_smile::smile::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::sweat_smile::sunglasses: omg so funny, I was just thinking this last night. I only had OG for 6 years, though.

Knowing fully well that I'm at risk of making a declaration w/r/t OG vs MiB, I will strive to remain neutral.

The B&W 800 diamond tweeters can be unyielding if the source material is bright. I vaguely remember that somewhere in one of my recent verbal diarrhea attacks (posted here), I mentioned that snare drums and cymbals occasionally sounded edgy/over-bright, depending on the source stream, when played on the big rig...

That occasional, faint and localized edginess is completely gone with MiB. <- see what I did here? I love, you, OG!

Want a treat? Listen to Chris Stapelton's "Death Row" on "From A Room: Volume 1" on Qobuz, through MiB.

The intro to this song will blow your mind. <g> What in the hell is that sound in the intro? <G>

Then listen to "Either Way" on the same album. When he sings "We can just go on like this... say the word we'll call it quits..." - wow.

Then listen to the entire album, because it's spectacular, regardless of your DAC / amp / 'phones / et al.

OK, back to work... oh, hell - I'm off today!!!
I listen to very little country music but I do really enjoy Chris Stapleton. From A Room: Vol 1 & 2 are both excellent albums as is Traveller.
I'm guessing the opening sounds in "Death Row" are meant to mimic the sound of jail cell doors opening/closing. Maybe?
I spend the night in Guadalajara 5-6 times per year. Estrella Jalisco is my go-to when I visit. Modelo Negra is my go-to Mexican beer otherwise :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #130,294 of 155,196
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #130,295 of 155,196
Thank you! I wondered if some of this info had been covered (apologies if I'm dragging up topics that have been covered) ...with over 8600 pages , there is a lot to catch up on.
You can use the search to look for the comments by @Sinister Whisperz. Last I heard the goal was to get super-high efficiency speakers and run them with Rekkrs.

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #130,296 of 155,196
"Soundstage" ...

I've always said my Gungnir multibit is about 75% of Yggy because it's just not as good at doing those things.
Now I'm curious. Would you say that Gungnir MB is 100% of the tonality of Yggy and only 75% soundstaging or something else?

I ask because, like @Ableza, I find it challenging to hear soundstage effects other than imaging.

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #130,297 of 155,196
@Jason Stoddard Sometimes being smart and having a lot of experience can work against you... and leads you to assume / miss things staring you in the face.

I have a monthly reminder in my phone... "Ask 5 Why's for Why you're doing something."

I noticed you didn't share which one sounds best... Thank you.

JS:
Was it the best Yggy I’d heard? In some ways yes. In terms of having a dark background, in terms of purity of highs, in terms of overall cohesion, it was better. Dynamics were better on OG and LIM. But OG was a bit gray, and LIM was a bit oversimplified.

Is it for you? Maybe. I consider it the best all-around Yggdrasil.
Mike still likes LIM. Dave still likes OG. But OG is going away. The availability of the Analog Devices AD5791 isn’t confidence inspiring, and its price/performance is now very poor. So the future will be LIM or MIB. Both fantastic DACs. Both TI based. Your choice.

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #130,298 of 155,196
Hahahah *snort*

Just wait until the Arglebargle2000 comes out!
I think it'd be hilarious if Jason and Mike started a company called Arglebargle that does cost-no-object stuff. :p Of course that would go against the Schiity ethos, but if anyone could do it and make it hilarious, it's them.

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #130,301 of 155,196
@belgiangenius expecting a DAC to fix poor practices in mastering/engineering is going to lead to a lot of disappointment.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #130,302 of 155,196
Now I'm curious. Would you say that Gungnir MB is 100% of the tonality of Yggy and only 75% soundstaging or something else?

I ask because, like @Ableza, I find it challenging to hear soundstage effects other than imaging.
No Yggy with the A2 board is better in all the things I mentioned when I had Gungnir MB in place of Yggy for maybe three weeks. It certainly has the Yggy flavor. I remember thinking very much so what a great bargain Gumby was if you couldn't save up for a Yggy. Wasn't it around half the price or so?

What I remember most about the "soundstage" was it was more moved forward and not deep like Yggy. And it's not a matter of precise volume matching. The soundstage just didn't go deep into the six feet behind the speakers. It was noticable.

Now there is the factor of way back when the USB input was Gen 2 then Gen 3 then Jason said "Gen 5 is so good we skipped 4"..... or something like that, anyway as memory serves they were within a generation of each other or maybe the same. Still a factor in what was heard,.... or imagined. :)

(Gumby will eventually die stuck at Gen 5 someday hopefully before me as I never sent it back in to be reprogrammed for Unison.)

Also Yggy has better meat on its bones and it's thump factor so Gumby is a bit thinner. So not as rich tonally to me. :)

Nov 10, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #130,304 of 155,196
@belgiangenius expecting a DAC to fix poor practices in mastering/engineering is going to lead to a lot of disappointment.

I'm not expecting it to fix anything. I'm just saying that a DAC that ensures that bad sounding recordings sound really bad isn't a strength in an era of phenomenally bad sounding recordings.

Now if Schiit could release a gadget that undoes dynamic range compression and a lot of the other sound destroying tactics used by modern sound monkeys, er...ah..."engineers", my wallet would be open for that!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #130,305 of 155,196
I see you have a Psvane tube in your Lyr, I have a Lyr+ and was wondering if it is any better than the stock JJ?
I like it a lot. Certainly the best tube I have had in it and that includes a Gold Electro-Harmonix and an RCA NOS tube. I'd like to try the CV181-T MKII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back