Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 22, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #128,956 of 155,155
Resurrecting an old post… I have the same experience - periodical contact cleaning keeps connections working well. A good contact cleaner like Caig DeOxit.

It is hard to tighten Schiit’s speaker amp binding posts. Any special technique short of marring large pliers?
I haven’t found any, so I use banana plugs that don't require hand tightening for a firm contact. When I need to make a custom length I use right angle connectors from Parts Express for strain relief.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #128,957 of 155,155
Resurrecting an old post… I have the same experience - periodical contact cleaning keeps connections working well. A good contact cleaner like Caig DeOxit.

It is hard to tighten Schiit’s speaker amp binding posts. Any special technique short of marring large pliers?
You can finger tighten the binding post nut firmly, and then try rotating the spade ever so slightly along with the binding post nut another few degrees clockwise.

You need to be careful doing this, and don't over tighten once you've gotten to this step. Just a few degrees, or you can cause damage.

That being said, I'm currently using banana plugs at that connection only because that's what my cables came with.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #128,959 of 155,155

I do not own any of the Schiit speaker amps so it is hard for me to know. I did go with locking banana plugs that I can tighten, they seem to fit most any post well. :ksc75smile: They are available from Blue Jeans Cable. Occasionally I will use tape head cleaner since it leaves little to no residue, I might use it first on tube pins then finish with DeOxit.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #128,961 of 155,155
Question for the experienced tube enthusiasts: I'm trying to connect a pair of Brimar 12AT7/CV455 tubes into their adapters for use in my Freya N. The adapter is the correct one but the adapter sockets are really tight and I can't get the tube to insert properly. They barely go in and not enough for the tube to stay connected. I'm nervous about using too much insertion force seeing as I ruined a tube last year trying to force it into an adapter. Any thoughts?

Generally, I've never been able to get a tube fully inserted into a socket. There's always a bit of pin visible. Is this normal?

Edit: per a post on a different forum, a little wiggling in the sockets with a precision screwdriver did the trick. The first one I did made the sockets a little too lose, but the tube now goes all the way in. The fun part will be removing the adapters from the Freya when I want to swap tubes.

Edit 2:...aaaaannndddd I think I ruined one of the adapters. The tube does not light up. 🤬🤑. Now to get the adapters out of their sockets on the Freya. Having the sockets so damned recessed is the only flaw on this otherwise wonderful preamp.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #128,962 of 155,155
Since I bought Syn just before moving to my house I really haven’t had time to actually use it. The room where I was planning on using it is still under construction. Meanwhile I just have my living room system which is strictly 2-channel. I’ve been using a Marantz NR-1711 which sounded pretty good and worked well.

Yesterday I decided to switch things up for fun. Took the receiver out and put in Syn along with a couple of amps that were also just sitting in their boxes not being used. The first thing I noticed was my 4K tv looked amazing! Having my sources plugged straight into the tv was a very noticeable visual improvement. Sound is well, let’s just say I have considerably more headroom for dynamic peaks. 👍🏻

IMG_4021.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #128,963 of 155,155
VPI brick?

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #128,964 of 155,155
Since I bought Syn just before moving to my house I really haven’t had time to actually use it. The room where I was planning on using it is still under construction. Meanwhile I just have my living room system which is strictly 2-channel. I’ve been using a Marantz NR-1711 which sounded pretty good and worked well.

Yesterday I decided to switch things up for fun. Took the receiver out and put in Syn along with a couple of amps that were also just sitting in their boxes not being used. The first thing I noticed was my 4K tv looked amazing! Having my sources plugged straight into the tv was a very noticeable visual improvement. Sound is well, let’s just say I have considerably more headroom for dynamic peaks. 👍🏻

IMG_4021.jpeg
Funny you say you had a couple of amps around… and it turns out those are Tyrs. :)

Why did the tv video improve? Were you loading its power supply?

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #128,965 of 155,155
Funny you say you had a couple of amps around… and it turns out those are Tyrs. :)

Why did the tv video improve? Were you loading its power supply?
Just bypassing the Marantz made a difference. It looked good going through the receiver. I never really gave it much thought. But now without it in the chain everything is brighter and more vivid. Even just the Apple TV main menu screen seems to pop more visually. 🤷🏻‍♂️

VPI brick?
Nope. Homemade.

IMG_9719.jpeg

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #128,966 of 155,155
It’s nice to read replies from people reporting years of experience with problems we deal with. I do indeed think that unkept electrical contacts degrade SQ over time in a significant way.
<ROFL>There is your very own way into the top dollar earnings of the audio world.
After cables and the cable stands to improve sound quality we can now add very expensive cleaning liquid to do all the right things to your connectors and lift your sound.
Maybe we should call it "snake oil" to make very clear the music flows smoothly through the connectors. Where is my Master card? Run, quickly, don't miss out.</ROFL>

Sorry for the rant, couldn't resist.

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #128,967 of 155,155
1697995135063.png

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #128,968 of 155,155
<ROFL>There is your very own way into the top dollar earnings of the audio world.
After cables and the cable stands to improve sound quality we can now add very expensive cleaning liquid to do all the right things to your connectors and lift your sound.
Maybe we should call it "snake oil" to make very clear the music flows smoothly through the connectors. Where is my Master card? Run, quickly, don't miss out.</ROFL>

Sorry for the rant, couldn't resist.
Top dollar? I have a Caig can bought over 20 years ago. Still use it. Not a large dollar outlay…

Oct 22, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #128,970 of 155,155
... AND Singularity. ...

Eyeballing/guestimating that graph, looks like tomorrow. Or maybe next week at the outside...

When we are all cyborgs, will people stop saying, "Well, you can only hear that if you're a dog or a bat?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back