Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 11, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #12,106 of 155,202
This may be the wrong section, but since this is the official Schiit thread, I figured I would post here.

I currently use an Emotiva DC-1 as a DAC, but am looking to try a Schiit multi-bit DAC, to see what all the fuss is about. However, I have an issue that causes me some worry. Randomly, my PC will quit sending audio through the USB no matter what source I use (Youtube, Foobar2k, Spoitify, etc). In fact, when it messes up, youtube videos will freeze up and not play at all. Additionally, I get random stutters and a scratchy sound coming through my headphones.

These problems are resolved by powering down my DAC and firing it back up again. While VERY annoying, I have simply learned to live with it as I do like the convenience of PC audio. This problem seems to be on only one PC I own and it runs Windows 10. On my old laptop (Win 7) and my GF's old laptop (also WIn 7), these issues have never popped up.

I know I could simply use one of these old laptops, but I REALLY like having the form factor (and the inputs/outputs, etc that come along with it) and wish I could have hassle free audio from it. It is also the newest and (by far) the most powerful of the three.

My worry is that when I get a Schiit multi-bit DAC, I will have to keep turning it off and on to reset the USB connection, thus, never allowing my DAC to fully warm up (and stay warmed up) as recommended by Schiit.

My thoughts are that it could be my old USB cable, Windows 10 simply sucks, or something with the MOBO on this PC not liking to play nice? I have considered a Wyrd, but didn't want to spend the money to find that it didn't solve my issues, however, from the description I think it just may be my ticket to audio nirvana.

Any thoughts, opinions, advice, etc will be greatly appreciated all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #12,107 of 155,202
Much has been said on this topic already, but I also had USB power starvation issues that would actually crash my computer. It's a nice gaming PC too. Of course, I did have Bimby, gaming mouse, backlit mechanical keyboard, monitor, Xbox controller, printer, etc. all hooked up variously, plus or minus a few other things. Got a little USB powered hub from Anker and it solved the issue. I may have heard a slight difference? Not sure, but in any case, it solved the power issues. Certainly cheaper than a Wyrd : )

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #12,108 of 155,202
This may be the wrong section, but since this is the official Schiit thread, I figured I would post here.

I currently use an Emotiva DC-1 as a DAC, but am looking to try a Schiit multi-bit DAC, to see what all the fuss is about. However, I have an issue that causes me some worry. Randomly, my PC will quit sending audio through the USB no matter what source I use (Youtube, Foobar2k, Spoitify, etc). In fact, when it messes up, youtube videos will freeze up and not play at all. Additionally, I get random stutters and a scratchy sound coming through my headphones.

These problems are resolved by powering down my DAC and firing it back up again. While VERY annoying, I have simply learned to live with it as I do like the convenience of PC audio. This problem seems to be on only one PC I own and it runs Windows 10. On my old laptop (Win 7) and my GF's old laptop (also WIn 7), these issues have never popped up.

I know I could simply use one of these old laptops, but I REALLY like having the form factor (and the inputs/outputs, etc that come along with it) and wish I could have hassle free audio from it. It is also the newest and (by far) the most powerful of the three.

My worry is that when I get a Schiit multi-bit DAC, I will have to keep turning it off and on to reset the USB connection, thus, never allowing my DAC to fully warm up (and stay warmed up) as recommended by Schiit.

My thoughts are that it could be my old USB cable, Windows 10 simply sucks, or something with the MOBO on this PC not liking to play nice? I have considered a Wyrd, but didn't want to spend the money to find that it didn't solve my issues, however, from the description I think it just may be my ticket to audio nirvana.

Any thoughts, opinions, advice, etc will be greatly appreciated all. :)  

Are you sure your laptop isn't overheating?

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #12,109 of 155,202
Are you sure your laptop isn't overheating?

All is well on my laptop, it's my desktop PC that is giving me the issues.

Much has been said on this topic already, but I also had USB power starvation issues that would actually crash my computer. It's a nice gaming PC too. Of course, I did have Bimby, gaming mouse, backlit mechanical keyboard, monitor, Xbox controller, printer, etc. all hooked up variously, plus or minus a few other things. Got a little USB powered hub from Anker and it solved the issue. I may have heard a slight difference? Not sure, but in any case, it solved the power issues. Certainly cheaper than a Wyrd : )

I didn't even think about the fact that the issue could be USB power starvation. For grins and giggles, I moved some stuff around on my USB ports, and will see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip!
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Issues still present.

Trying one of the front USB ports now.

So far the front panel seems to be good to go. No static, no stuttering, no problems at all.

EDIT#2:Continued listening to music has caused the static issue to pop up again...bummer. 
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #12,110 of 155,202
Much has been said on this topic already, but I also had USB power starvation issues that would actually crash my computer.

I didn't actually know that could happen to full sized desktop pcs, thought it was mostly a laptop issue. Thankfully I've never had similar issues, it's cool that the powered Anker USB hubs fix it in such simple fashion, certainly much cheaper than my 1300W computer PSU too. Always been pretty interested in the whole computer sound optimization deal but I've not personally tried much (aside the cheap AQ Jitterbug and some software stuff) because my computer sounds very clean as is, recently ordered a microRendu to see if I can actually make out relevant differences between both sources.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #12,111 of 155,202
For those with consistant USB problems I'd recommend considering ditching USB all together. There are several Yggy owners using RedNet AOIP with good results. I've owned a bunch of USB fixers. In the end the best result for me was going in a completely different direction.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #12,112 of 155,202
  For those with consistant USB problems I'd recommend considering ditching USB all together. There are several Yggy owners using RedNet AOIP with good results. I've owned a bunch of USB fixers. In the end the best result for me was going in a completely different direction.

As much as I'm enjoying, and experiencing good results with, my RedNet 3 - for most users, at least PC users, a far more cost-effective solution is likely to be a much-cheaper PCIe S/PDIF card.

While I expect the RedNet devices to out perform such a card, it'll be 1/40th the price for the card and a much more approachable instant-fix.

But, that said, the RedNet 3 is confidently rivaling my Auralic Aries ... and for 2/3rds the price and easily bests the direct optical outputs, and, of course, USB, from my Mac Pro.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #12,113 of 155,202
The Schiit Wyrd took care of my USB issues for about $100.00.  Been pleased with the result.

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #12,114 of 155,202
For me this is all about SQ.

But if problem solving (ie fixing) connectivity issues is the aim, then any of the 'fixers' for USB will certainly help in that regard, and when using multiple 'fixers' to help even more, the results can elevate the SQ quite nicely.
I still like my 2-Wyrd setup.
And this approach certainly is cheaper that a RedNet box, let alone using additional re-clockers/word clocks etc., which can and have been used with the various 'enhanced' USB setups as well.

BUT if reaching for the 'Best' SQ is the aim then, at this time anyway, the AOIP approach is definitely 'Better', at least in my system.

Yeah AOIP is much more of a PIA and is considerably more fussy and expensive etc., but the end results tend to make using USB, in any way, pale in comparison.

JJ

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #12,115 of 155,202
I think we can rule out windows 10 itself as being the culprit to bad USB performance as most of us on w10 are having no problems at all. I would bet that your mobos USB drivers or the ports themselves are the cause of your problems. If the port goes into low power mode and disconnects the DAC while trying to output audio to it, this could cause your PC to lock up. Make sure your usb drivers are up to date. Also check that your computer is in high performance mode in the power options. Sometimes desktops will default to power saver like a laptop.

I have windows 10 and an Asus z97 sabertooth mk 1. I've never had any usb issues.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #12,116 of 155,202
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]
I didn't actually know that could happen to full sized desktop pcs, thought it was mostly a laptop issue. Thankfully I've never had similar issues, it's cool that the powered Anker USB hubs fix it in such simple fashion, certainly much cheaper than my 1300W computer PSU too. Always been pretty interested in the whole computer sound optimization deal but I've not personally tried much (aside the cheap AQ Jitterbug and some software stuff) because my computer sounds very clean as is, recently ordered a microRendu to see if I can actually make out relevant differences between both sources.

The microRendu sounds like a much more expensive raspberry pi with a hifiberry. What's the advantage of the microRendu?

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #12,117 of 155,202
You guys with USB problems, have you disabled power port management in Windoze?

Follow the Shiit guide for "DAC Not Recognized/Disconnecting From Computer"...it is good for any USB DAC.

http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems

Seriously...I have not had any issues since I have done this.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #12,118 of 155,202
The microRendu sounds like a much more expensive raspberry pi with a hifiberry. What's the advantage of the microRendu?

Biggest reason I bought it is because a relevant amount of people I have a great deal of respect for (some reviewers, some just enthusiasts) have classified it as having the best sound quality you can get from that sort of device - this includes stuff like the $4000 Wadia and even out-worldly servers like the $17000 Aurander. If this were one person's opinion I may be sceptical but given a fair amount of people share this opinion I thought it would be crass of me to not give the $650 mRendu a try (especially given I already own a decent upgraded PSU as advised).

I've never tried a Raspberry Pi nor have I read about the benefits of the Hifiberry but what the mRendu does is negate every bit of residual noise coming in from anywhere in your chain prior to your DAC - doesn't matter how dirty your mains power and network (it's a ethernet based streamer) are or how much jitter is created, the mRendu is supposed to be 100% clean under any circumstance at all time. Now whilst my computer is already pretty optimized and my motherboard cost me around $600 and has dedicated audio/USB/Coax/Toslink components and outs I'm still quite certain there is improvement to be had somewhere.

I mean, even if the improvement is only barely noticeable at least I will know for a fact that the computer/source is not at fault and that any residual noise is in the recording itself rather than on my end. For me, that sense of security alone is worth 600 bucks.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #12,119 of 155,202
Is there Any advantage in USB over optical S/PDIF?

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #12,120 of 155,202
You guys with USB problems, have you disabled power port management in Windoze?

Follow the Shiit guide for "DAC Not Recognized/Disconnecting From Computer"...it is good for any USB DAC.

http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems

Seriously...I have not had any issues since I have done this.

Ok, I thought I had my settings all set to max/best/etc, but my USB Selective Suspend was not disabled. Trying that now, hoping it works. Thanks for the reminder to try this, as it prompted me to double check my settings, and sure enough...the power saving was on.

EDIT: I have been listening for over an hour now and no issues with the new power settings. I think this was the cure I have been looking for!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back