Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 4, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #120,842 of 155,114
Happy 4th of July / Independance Day to my US brethren!!! (Sorry UK folks.)

So, I hope everyone is sitting down, as I actually have audio questions. :astonished:

Most of my 2-channel listening is streaming Roon via a Pi4 running Ropieee XL feeding my BF2 with 2/64 upgrade via USB. I also have a Pi3B+ with an Allo DigiOne HAT that I drop in on occasion and run to BF2 via S/PDIF coax. I like both but tend to stick with the Pi4/USB, not because it sounds better (I don't really know), but because my OCD dictates that I use the cleaner USB the Pi4 offers (and the Argon case just looks cool). Latey I've had an itch to buy the new Pi2AES 2.0 Pro HAT and use that in conjunction with my Pi3B+ and replacing the Allo board. So I have a few questions...

1. Is the Pi2AES 2.0 a discernable upgrade to Allo DigiOne using S/PDIF coax?
2. Is Pi2AES 2.0 a discernable upgrade to Pi4 via USB?
3. Does BF2's Unison USB negate any real advantage in using Pi2AES via S/PDIF coax?
4. If there is a sonic difference between Pi2AES and Pi4 USB or Allo DigiOne, how would you describe it?
5. Is the Pi2AES plexiglass case as ugly as it looks on the website? (I hope there are 3rd party options for black)
6. Or is it -- What, dude!!?? Save the $299 and quit chasing after the next upgrade.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #120,843 of 155,114

So, I hope everyone is sitting down, as I actually have audio questions. :astonished:

Most of my 2-channel listening is streaming Roon via a Pi4 running Ropieee XL feeding my BF2 with 2/64 upgrade via USB. I also have a Pi3B+ with an Allo DigiOne HAT that I drop in on occasion and run to BF2 via S/PDIF coax. I like both but tend to stick with the Pi4/USB, not because it sounds better (I don't really know), but because my OCD dictates that I use the cleaner USB the Pi4 offers (and the Argon case just looks cool). Latey I've had an itch to buy the new Pi2AES 2.0 Pro HAT and use that in conjunction with my Pi3B+ and replacing the Allo board. So I have a few questions...

3. Does BF2's Unison USB negate any real advantage in using Pi2AES via S/PDIF coax?
4. If there is a sonic difference between Pi2AES and Pi4 USB or Allo DigiOne, how would you describe it?
5. Is the Pi2AES plexiglass case as ugly as it looks on the website? (I hope there are 3rd party options for black)
6. Or is it -- What, dude!!?? Save the $299 and quit chasing after the next upgrade.

Thanks!!!

I vote on No. 6.

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #120,844 of 155,114
Happy 4th of July 2023!

IMG_8585.jpg

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #120,845 of 155,114
I vote on No. 6.

How disappointing. :rolling_eyes:

#6 was a test. I have chosen to ignore your response and remove question #6 as no "true" audiophile would ever reply in such a fashion and would likely ignore question 6 seeing it as rhetorical and humorous. You are officially on Audiophile Probation with all posts scrutinized for a period of no less than 90 minutes and no more than 90 days. Tread lightly, my friend. :smirk:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #120,846 of 155,114

Thanks!!!
En Ingles officiale, por favor. :smirk_cat:

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #120,847 of 155,114
The one that's pissing me off the most right now is 1password, a password manager that works on computer, tablet, phone, etc. I've been using it since v3 and I've got over 3000 passwords recorded in it. I've bought every upgrade, including v7 which I am using now. They released v8 a year or more ago but it's now subscription only. Not for me. I keep using v7 because it works and v8 offers no compelling reason to upgrade, along with very compelling reasons not to (not just the money -- it's no longer standalone, all my passwords will live on their servers, not mine: I will no longer own my data, and if I ever miss a payment it will all go away and be lost).

Well, the fskers snuck in an update to v7 that EOLs it. I now get daily updates telling me it will stop working on such-and-such a date unless I upgrade to v8, at "only" $$ per month. No other option.

To be clear, v7 works just fine the way it is, with all my existing tech. The ONLY reason it will stop working is because they put out an update that kills it.

I fear that this is the future. Your lovely e-car that's been making the sine wave bend? That you've been happy with for a couple of years? One day the manufacturer will decide it's not making them enough residuals and they'll put out an OTA update that will brick it unless you pay them a monthly ransom.

Fskrs.
I use a reminder app that went subscription, but they didn’t it in a nicer way to those that already had bought it. Everything functions as usual, but you have to subscribe to get the new features.

I don’t really like subscriptions as a model for apps, it gets crazy expensive, and fast, if every app you use for anything has a subscription attached to it. I have no problem paying up front for an app that is useful to me, even if I won’t use it a lot, but I’m not going to pay hundreds over a couple of years just to frame few photos now and then (yes, there are apps for that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, and on a subscription model too! :tired_face:)..

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #120,848 of 155,114
While absolutely true, if you think about it, it's kind of ridiculous. Quality high-res video requires a ton of bandwidth. High quality audio dramatically less so. Yet to shave bitrate, audio quality is always the first thing to go.
That’s too bad. I have noted several times while, um, self-treating my upgradeitis on audio gear, that every time the better audio adds more immersion in the films and tv series I watch. I’d much rather have a little worse picture and better sound than the other way around :L3000:

Jul 4, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #120,849 of 155,114

Thanks!!!
I have the newest pi2aes on an rpi4 with an allo shanti power supply. After all the rigamarole I found that I prefer the usb out to both of the pi2aes outputs I've tried (i²s and AES). I've come to the conclusion that either the PCM bus on the rpi isn't up to the task of handling hi res streams with low jitter, or maybe the newer version of the pi2aes isn't as good as the 1st, or that neither version lives up to the hype.

I don't know that the case is ugly. Kind of charmingly un-sleek to my eyes.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #120,850 of 155,114

Thanks!!!
Since consumerism may be a tad at play :) how about $149.00 on a WiiM Pro? You can always send it back. You might be surprised....

Jul 4, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #120,851 of 155,114

Thanks!!!
1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. The sonic nirvana achieved by the Pi4 takes you to the highest heights of the Swiss alps and is more transient than the deepest depths of the Gulf of Mexico.
5. Yes

🤣🤣🤣 hope this helps 🤣🤣🙂

Jul 4, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #120,852 of 155,114

Thanks!!!
Ummmmm... I pick up the remote control. Turn on my Denon AVR and choose HEOS and Favorites. Select Francis Albert Sinatra Station. Hit play.
I trust the helps? If not, remember I am olde. Happy 4th of July, brother! :beerchug:

Jul 4, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #120,853 of 155,114
IMG_0496.jpeg

Happy Independence Day to all here, except us Brits who still resent what you did to us. 🙂

Jul 4, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #120,854 of 155,114

Thanks!!!
So, I just did my own bit of upgradeitis. I was able to swap my iFi Zen Stream out for a Bluesound Node N103 as a friend of mine is a Bluesound dealer.

The reason I did it was to get the HDMI in for the TV, but was plenty surprised to find it was actually better as a streamer than the iFi when using USB. Not night and day, but good enough for me to buy the demo unit.

I then moved the iFi over to my headphones and found it was an upgrade over the Pi4 that I had. Again not night and day, but a slight improvement. They are a bit finicky to get setup, but once they are, they work pretty well.

I haven't heard the Pi2AES, but it is pretty ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back