Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 1, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #11,956 of 150,688
  NOICE! Yeah I LUV my Vali - Jason wanted to update it (mine is one of the OG versions - with the micro-phonics issue - but I just plug in and wait a couple seconds - burned it in so nicely)

My favorite audio nerd story involves one of these.  My buddy has a friend with a ridiculously expensive two channel system.  I believe the speakers are top shelf Martin Logans.  He brings my friend over one day and plays an LP of Jeff Beck, specifically "Cause we've ended as lovers".  Very impressive right?  So, a week later, buddy comes back and brings the Vali, an original modi, a macbook and the FLAC of the same track through a pair of Koss PortaPros.  He listened and asked my buddy to never bring that back in his house again.  It sounded better than his monstrous system.  Way better.  His feelings got hurt.

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #11,957 of 150,688
  My favorite audio nerd story involves one of these.  My buddy has a friend with a ridiculously expensive two channel system.  I believe the speakers are top shelf Martin Logans.  He brings my friend over one day and plays an LP of Jeff Beck, specifically "Cause we've ended as lovers".  Very impressive right?  So, a week later, buddy comes back and brings the Vali, an original modi, a macbook and the FLAC of the same track through a pair of Koss PortaPros.  He listened and asked my buddy to never bring that back in his house again.  It sounded better than his monstrous system.  Way better.  His feelings got hurt.

I LOVE hearing stories like that!!

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #11,963 of 150,688
true
admittedly

but this combo was always a FAVE for me

That too, Mike, in a less concrete way. I was actually talking about that huge cable (tail, right?) hanging out of the vali. I still use my vali on a nightly basis as my bedside rig with a big ego and usually my hd600. One of the all-time great audio bargains. Sounds way better than it has any right to, with the hd600s, dt880pros, or even the he500. Not so much with iems or low-z phones.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #11,964 of 150,688
Not in my opinion. The Vali 2 has less distortion, though it does sound less tubey. 

I never thought the original vali sounded very "tubey" anyway, although in terms of airiness and openness it is moreso than in tonality. I imagine I would like the vali 2 as well as the vali if your characterization is correct.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #11,966 of 150,688
Sorry, no, I didn't mean to imply that it is better than Vali 2 (I haven't heard Vali 2).  Only that it is a really decent, pleasing tube amp (and for $99 omg type thing). That said, I probably prefer Vali1 to the Magni2U, by way of comparison, for Sennheiser cans.

I own and love both. The Vali 2 in every measurable sense is vastly superior to the original Vali. However, there is some bit of mojo in the original. There's been plenty of talk on the here about that. For me, I prefer the Vali 2 overall for a larger set of cans I use. For higher Z medium sensitivity tho the noise and ringing is not an issue in the original. I cannot stop enjoying either. The original does have a little bit of magic that the 2 doesn't have but I love them both.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #11,967 of 150,688
I own and love both. The Vali 2 in every measurable sense is vastly superior to the original Vali. However, there is some bit of mojo in the original. There's been plenty of talk on the here about that. For me, I prefer the Vali 2 overall for a larger set of cans I use. For higher Z medium sensitivity tho the noise and ringing is not an issue in the original. I cannot stop enjoying either. The original does have a little bit of magic that the 2 doesn't have but I love them both.

I have both the Vali 2 and the Valhalla 2. I can say that I often prefer the tone of the Vali 2 over the Valhalla. It's more mellow in my setup. Not to mention the heat the Vali gives off is more tolerable in Florida than the Valhalla. 

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #11,968 of 150,688
I have both the Vali 2 and the Valhalla 2. I can say that I often prefer the tone of the Vali 2 over the Valhalla. It's more mellow in my setup. Not to mention the heat the Vali gives off is more tolerable in Florida than the Valhalla. 

Yeah I have the Valhalla 2 as well. It does get quite warm. I've never rolled tubes in it. I have with the Vali2 and have dialed in a great sound with a 6cg7 that is preferable. One tube versus four is a lot cheaper to fiddle with. I was just rocking the valhalla2 today with my hd600s and I'm still amazed how good it sounds. If I were to drop some cling I could better it but the Vali2 is pretty sweet with them the way I have it configured.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #11,969 of 150,688

I recently heard the valhalla at a friend's house. It sounds great but man that thing was so hot. Even the volume knob was toasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back