Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 5, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #119,581 of 152,918
Or wait until 16.5.1 fixes it.

But if I wait that long, I won’t be able to listen to every form of music at my disposal on the phone. I’d have to resort to an alternative music stream, like putting CDs in or *gasp* throwing a record on 😬🤔

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #119,582 of 152,918
Jun 5, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #119,583 of 152,918
Small bits of news:

1. ... This is the anodized silver finish, not painted. ...
When are you going to start using the true, sound-affecting silver? Also, keeps lycans and other nasties away.

Just kidding, this is great news! Any chance Rekkr will someday come in lycan-proof clothing?

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #119,584 of 152,918
My brother's '57 Oval Window Bug was soooo COOL! I think it was 6V with 36 horsepower. That was a slow car. I could beat it up a hill on a 50cc motorcycle but it was slow with style!

Not 57, but cool bug story. In HS (1973) best friend and I acquired a rusted out 63 beetle. Even the gas tank had holes in it - no worries, a 5 gallon marine tank, with the passenger performing bulb squeezing duties. One day we got the idea of pranking a local gas station owner; we drove up and requested filling the tank with water. The owner was amazed, but warned, "If you don't drive away, you're paying the towing bill!". When he finished, my friend calmly reached for the glove compartment, pull out two Alka Selzer, dropped them in the tank - then we drove away.........

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #119,585 of 152,918
When are you going to start using the true, sound-affecting silver? Also, keeps lycans and other nasties away.

Just kidding, this is great news! Any chance Rekkr will someday come in lycan-proof clothing?
Silver is gonna be, well, sketchy, until we perfect a new method of finishing it. We are working on true, metallic, brushed-aluminum-finish silver, and I suspect we will be able to work something out for the future. Can we bring the price down? We'll see. Maybe. Suffice to say, getting perfect mill-finish aluminum for silver is very hit-and miss. Hopefully this will be worked out sooner than later.

There's no real intention to do Rekkr in silver, I'm afraid. Anything in a recurve chassis would have to be powder-coated in any case.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 5, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #119,586 of 152,918
Not automatically. There's this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ripping-cds-that-have-pre-emphasis.423506/

Internet says to use SoX.
Thanks! I do in fact only use iTunes for that rare CD rip I do these days, so I may be good to go [edit: just saw the part about the sound stage issue when iTunes applies de-emphasus 🤔]. Thought I had read elsewhere that it didn't. Will have to try to dig that info up.

[edit2: found the link to another forum but unsure if linking off to it is kosher. A user there posted, "Itunes is pretty poor at adding the proper EQ, I tried a few years ago. Plus it will only add if the tag is found in the TOC(.) Foobar works for me. I think the DSP is the same as the SOX parameters. Not sure."]

This got me thinking, wonder if Urd will do de-emphasis. Can you confirm, @Jason Stoddard ?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #119,587 of 152,918
Yes, and an even sadder fact of life is that I'll never be able to see Bohm conduct the Vienna Philharmonic live.

My brother and his girlfriend are at a Mozart concert in Vienna tonight. Not sure where, what, or who yet.

A few nights ago they were at a concert of the Prague Chamber Orchestra performing Vltava, while they were staying in a hotel overlooking the Vltava river.

Color me green?
macdonjh Daughter returned from her first big girl vacation (paid for with her own money, used PTO), about a month ago. While in Europe she attended a concert in Vienna: Mozart. None of the others in her tour group had any interest in attending, until she got on her soapbox: it's only a couple of hours out of your evening, what could it hurt to come and listen. She converted half the group.

Unfortunately, I don't think Carl Stalling ever used Mozart, so she wasn't able to tell her new friends which Looney Tunes sound track was being played that night.

Small bits of news:

1. Gjallarhorn is now available in silver as well as black. We were able to get some good silver from this. This is the anodized silver finish, not painted. No photos at the moment, I'll get them done at the same time we're shooting Mjolnir 3. Until then, imagine a Bifrost 2 with holes in the top and you get the idea.

2. Urd is just waiting for production time. Should be another week or two at most.

3. We missed on the Unison USB True Multibit card last week, but that should happen this week.
Really? We're not at the "Talking about Schiit" point on the SSW, gotta keep up, @Jason Stoddard. First concert? Alternately, best concert attended?

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #119,588 of 152,918
We're not at the "Talking about Schiit" point on the SSW, gotta keep up, @Jason Stoddard. First concert? Alternately, best concert attended?
Best? David Byrne, 2018. Finally a concert that isn't a music video rehash.

Wait, maybe Stan Ridgway, post-Wall of Voodoo. When he was playing clubs with like 38 backup musicians (slight exaggeration).

Or Oingo Boingo Halloweens.

Lots of choices.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #119,589 of 152,918
Thanks! I do in fact only use iTunes for that rare CD rip I do these days, so I may be good to go [edit: just saw the part about the sound stage issue when iTunes applies de-emphasus 🤔]. Thought I had read elsewhere that it didn't. Will have to try to dig that info up.

[edit2: found the link to another forum but unsure if linking off to it is kosher. A user there posted, "Itunes is pretty poor at adding the proper EQ, I tried a few years ago. Plus it will only add if the tag is found in the TOC(.) Foobar works for me. I think the DSP is the same as the SOX parameters. Not sure."]

This got me thinking, wonder if Urd will do de-emphasis. Can you confirm, @Jason Stoddard ?
Deemph? What's that? Is that like a "magazine" or a "tv show" that some people talk about?

Just kidding. I'm sure it will pass along the code, that's a Redbook thing. What your DAC does with it us up to your DAC. None of our DACs do deemph. Same with DSD and MQA and MiniDisc and new Apple glasses stuff. Lots of bad ideas out there.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #119,590 of 152,918
Deemph? What's that? Is that like a "magazine" or a "tv show" that some people talk about?

Just kidding. I'm sure it will pass along the code, that's a Redbook thing. What your DAC does with it us up to your DAC. None of our DACs do deemph. Same with DSD and MQA and MiniDisc and new Apple glasses stuff. Lots of bad ideas out there.
Makes sense, thanks!

Jun 5, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #119,591 of 152,918
The first concert after I was old enough to drive was in the Greensboro Coliseum too. Foghat, fronted by Blue Oyster Cult in 1975 IIRC. Foghat should have been the front band though. They kinda played the notes almost like it was a chore. BOC put on a show.
Foghat was the headliner for my first major concert, Fabulous Forum was the venue. It was an amazing show to me. Still a fan today.

Was very likely this show.
large_FOGHAT1980ad02.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #119,592 of 152,918
Jun 5, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #119,594 of 152,918
Foghat was the headliner for my first major concert. It was an amazing show to me. Still a fan today.

The earliest I have verifiable proof of (in the form of a ticket stub) is for Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Dec 5, 1986 at the Warfield in San Francisco. Still a huge fan today. I suspect there might be a show or two before that I may have attended, but it all sort of runs together in my mind during the mid 80's after I got out of college and could actually afford to attend concerts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back