Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 5, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #117,961 of 155,112
May 5, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #117,962 of 155,112
I hate paying for almost nothing in an expensive metal box. Maybe utilize the 'packaging' know-how of @bcowen, develop an inflatable metal foil chassis. :sweat_smile:

Or go the full McLuhan - the packing 'medium' (box) is the message (chassis). 🤣
I only do cardboard. For inflatables, consult with @Ripper2860 . 🤣 🤣

May 5, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #117,963 of 155,112
As an afterthought, how about offering singe ended and balanced device options? Maybe a multi channel device (think uber SYN) with independant level adjustments? Maybe Nixie tubes for hexadecimal volume indication or at least 8 led segmented on a uber device? You might qualify for a STEM kickback from the state of Kaalii for teaching the yewts in your state basic technology, someone has to do it why not your company?
...and now Jason is out... KISS

May 5, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #117,965 of 155,112
I'm also finding this oddly fascinating. Probably because it feeds into my speaker fetish.

Looking through TAS Ultimate Directory of Loudspeakers and capping the price at mid 3 figures, for 88+ sensitive speakers, I see not much.

Cabasse has a bunch of sensitive speakers at a variety of price points, some more reasonable than others.
Paradigm has a few.
PSB Alpha P5.
Tekton Mini Lore at 95.
Totem Kin (love my Totem Tribe II as a center channel)

Me, personally, I really want the Fyne Audio Vintage Ten or the Vintage Fifteen! The F301 seems a good deal at 89/$625.

Some amusing asides:
The Oswald Mills Mini is 89lbs (95 sensitivity!). Unusual definition of mini being used there.

(hope no one minds this list)
There are these as well, which meet the 95 db sensitivity threshold:
https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/dwx

I haven't heard these, but many folks hereabouts love their Zu speakers.

May 5, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #117,966 of 155,112
May 5, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #117,967 of 155,112
How about a binary weighted led volume indicator? 8 led's could display 255 discrete levels, 256 if all off (muted). 7 led's would be 127 levels (128 if all off) Possibly different led colors for the volume level?
I used to be a professional trombonist. We count A LOT of measures rest. SO I would count in binary, just to stay engaged. I would always laugh when I got to the fourth measure...because I am a child inside.

May 5, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #117,968 of 155,112
May 5, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #117,969 of 155,112
I only do cardboard. For inflatables, consult with @Ripper2860 . 🤣 🤣
You must have me confused with Marilyn Manson. :wink:

Screenshot 2023-05-05 211617.png

May 5, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #117,970 of 155,112
Schiit N Music
Friday Night

Listening: Magni+ vs Magni Piety
Modi 3E as DAC
My ears, my mood, my condition; tonight.

FiiO X5 coax out -> Modi 3E -> Y split -> Magni+ and Magni Piety
Beyerdynamic T1, 600 ohm
Focal Elegia, 35 ohm

This schiit is fun.
Definitely must be synergy :wink:

Beyerdynamic preferred with the Magni+
Focal preferred with the Magni Piety

Reinforces the need for choices.

Winning moment = Pilgrim Eric Claption; "Pilgrim" - on the Focal and Piety.

Also, the stepped passive pre sounds useful.

Enjoy the Schiit N Music
Old and busted 69,

r2

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #117,971 of 155,112
In the spirit of DIY, this is SPLAAR, my Stepped Passive Logarithmic Audio Attenuator with Remote.

Inspired by several events:
  • When Schiit discontinued the original Freya and I couldn’t get one.
  • Finding a stepped logarithmic attenuator calculator webpage.
  • When Schiit re-released Freya and I found out how good the passive stage sounds.
  • The release of Schiit’s small footprint amps and the realization my future basement shop system would need a preamp.
  • Retirement.

The board is my own design and measures a tiny 3.6 inches by 2.5 inches (a standard playing card is 3.5” x 2.25”). I originally used an Adafruit Itsybitsy M0 for the controller and decided it was way overkill for the job. The ubiquitous ATMEGA328 is a good alternate in this application, plus it simplifies assembly by eliminating several headers.

SPLAAR responds to Freya and Yggdrasil remotes and can easily work with a rotary encoder. There is no touchscreen, bluetooth, or IOT. There is no app. Power switch? None!

Limitations? This has a single input. OK, there’s a third gen design with two inputs, but the added real estate for RCA connectors adds 30% to the bare board cost.

These will not be for sale. Not gettin' into that. I think, however, Schiit should design their own and market them as Step-Sys. :laughing:

Bare and loaded boards, first and second generations:

Board installed in enclosure:

Front of enclosure:
(note: posted this before reading responses from Jason)
is there a V3 pcb in the planning stages:
that could fit inside a Sys enclosure?
with a daisy chaining header to allow for a balanced sys using one pcb as ir receiver / master and slave pcb's without microprocessor on board)

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #117,972 of 155,112
Fantastic product. Never really thought of stripping it down this far!

This is a $99-ish product from us if done in a Modi-sized box. Worth doing?
how about a multi LED volume setting indicator?
(hope Jason is not considering a c.1970's flea-sized LED watch 7-segment numerical volume display)
iu

(added)
and two buttons for Volume Up / Volume Down, placed below the LED volume bargraph. with custom 3d-printed lightpipes and right-angle snap switches, can still be done with a single pcb,

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #117,973 of 155,112
Thank you, nice list, I kind of like the mini Lore. I've been researching with every free minute for weeks now, my wife is beginning to give me a worried look since past experience says the longer I research the more expensive things I find.
Originally, when I was looking at it, I thought the limit should be < $3K. That quickly got ridiculous.

If it were me, totally Fyne Audio. IIRC, founded by some former Tannoy engineers so they know how to make things go loud with little wattage.
You know, in England, "the tannoy" is vernacular for a PA system?

May 5, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #117,974 of 155,112
There are some 10-segment LED bars that are affordable. That, plus a custom 3D printed light pipe might not be bad. But it would be green or red...LOL.
Perfect for New Mexico! :kissing_cat:

May 5, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #117,975 of 155,112
I never could understand the need for a "volume indication" visual aid? My ears are the volume indicator...! 👂👂
On another forum, there's an argument about why a certain device does not indicate volume using "reference values." With a complete misunderstanding as to what "reference" means. Some apparently hear volume with their eyes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back