Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 6, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #116,026 of 155,174
Another viewpoint:

“Speaker cables are a very different animal than high input impedance interconnecting cables. A speaker cable connects to an extremely inconsistent 2-32 ohm (or even lower and higher!) reactive load created by the speaker. RCA and XLR interconnect cables see a much more consistent and resistive high impedance load making their electrical measurements far easier to predict.” - Galen Gareis
Galen was a Principal Engineer at Belden and the guy responsible for Iconoclast Cables. Pretty sure that he's correct here. :sunglasses:

Apr 6, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #116,027 of 155,174
That depends upon whether a firm is, or deemed to be, a ‘going concern’. In U.S., Chapter VII filing precedes liquidation / distribution of net assets; Chapter XI filing is one of corporate financial reorganisation.

Nah, I always applaud it when someone is willing to take a risk to try something new.
I also trust in the market doing its thing.
I'm an American in that regard, what can I say… 🤪

Also: Filing for bankruptcy protection doesn't mean that they're gone. A bit of restructuring here and there and I'm sure they bounce back just fine to haunt us for a few more years.
You are correct, in the UK, going into Administration just protects you from your debtors. I have gone through this with a previous employer.

An Administrator is appointed to work out whether it is a going concern, negotiate debt payment for critical suppliers and ultimately, get the company back up and running, often with a change of board members. There will often be a lot of cost cutting, leases and rent will be renegotiated, non critical staff will be fired, that sort of thing.

My thought is that someone will come in and buy it to get the rights to the technology. In that case, don't be surprised if Tidal make an offer to do just that. If they don't, they may find that someone else will exploit them.

Apr 6, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #116,028 of 155,174
You are correct, in the UK, going into Administration just protects you from your debtors. I have gone through this with a previous employer.

An Administrator is appointed to work out whether it is a going concern, negotiate debt payment for critical suppliers and ultimately, get the company back up and running, often with a change of board members. There will often be a lot of cost cutting, leases and rent will be renegotiated, non critical staff will be fired, that sort of thing.

My thought is that someone will come in and buy it to get the rights to the technology. In that case, don't be surprised if Tidal make an offer to do just that. If they don't, they may find that someone else will exploit them.
What if some schiit company from Texas bought the tech and accidently used it for BBQ starter fluid and dumped it down the schiiter ? 🤣

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #116,030 of 155,174
Bought many platform shoes from Chess King! :D

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #116,031 of 155,174
Anything with a recurve chassis, or with chassis features that are embossed into the metal, is steel. Or painted. Period. Aluminum leaves tons and tons of witness marks. Even Apple-grade robotic bead-blasting isn't a guarantee of hiding these problems. Ask me how I know.
And here I thought that was the premise of this thread and so implied.

bags made of recycled plastic? might be the new reality moving forward. for metalwork, how about re-usable shipping containers (plastic bin + cardboard separator partitions)?
I will not do business wit @bcowen. I will not do business with @bcowen. I will not...

An oddball for sure but those who bought them loved them !!
Both customers...

I was about to complain about the lack of Tool until I noticed these are only from 1969 to 1979. 🙄
As if that's an excuse for Tool's exclusion in the list?

MQA - a solution looking for a problem.
One of my favorite cliches...

Speaking of SAAB, the Sonett III is a beauty:
AEEDDDFB-FBE9-4BDB-91C1-6692CB80928C.jpeg
The headlights are popped up with a manual lever :smiley:
I think I had a Matchbox Cars version of this.

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #116,032 of 155,174
For anyone wondering why I'm burning time this evening responding to every little thing, our flight was delayed, so we're back at home another day. This beats screaming at the incompetence of airlines.

I'd love to see a remote that gives direct input to sources. I think I know why you do the "keep pressing until you get the input you want" thing but a single button press would be super.

I'm off today so it can't be my fault for once. I could fill a few novels with what I've seen in just the first 3 months of this year.
I feel both way too much with the new job - somehow it is cheaper to fly me home on Friday afternoon and back to the engineering firm's office Monday morning (EOR for the construction aspect, I live near the plant) than it is to leave me out there. Sadly you can't get there from here so I get to experience the amazing fitness program that are surprise gate changes in Atlanta.

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #116,033 of 155,174
Gasoil? One hasn’t lived until one mixes gasoil, uses it, and survives! 🤣
I had a Chevy Vega when I was in college. Got around 70 MPQ (that's miles per quart....of oil). :laughing:

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #116,034 of 155,174
… it sure as hell wasn’t rich Cowenthian cardboard … 😲
The Cordoba was nowhere near upscale enough to be fitted with such luxury. :laughing:

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #116,035 of 155,174
Which version is it? I am currently looking for a backup to my original issue vinyl. My fav Cars album as well. Thanks
Version? Hmmm...not sure. Honestly, wasn't aware there was more than one. Both that I have are Elektra. Very similar recording quality, but both were bought used and one has some groove damage and is noisier.

Cars.jpg

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #116,036 of 155,174
Yeah, more like Folkvangr. I hope.
As long as it has at least 65dB of gain using only tubes (no SUT's), infinitely adjustable resistive and capacitive loading, a mono switch and a mute switch, I'll buy one to keep my Folkvangr company. 🤣

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #116,038 of 155,174
Yes please but I suspect they'd need a firmware upgrade. And if that's the case, then it would be nice to add pre-set volume levels for each input too for the preamps. It's a little annoying to use the remote on the Freya S to make big changes to the volume when switching inputs especially if one of them is setup as a HT bypass.

Also since we're asking for unicorns and talking about remotes, the metal remotes could use finer finishing: I use mine next to an AppleTV remote, and the brushed texture on the Schiit remote feels pretty harsh in comparison. At this point, I would probably take a smooth plastic remote just for better feel.
Smooth may feel nicer. Until it slips out of your hand.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #116,039 of 155,174
I'm not talking schiit. Metal fab is my world. Hope you didn't take offense.

Definitely interested. I've considered approaching you about helping set up in house before. Let me sleep on it, but I may just send over a resume.
Mine too. And you couldn't pay me enough** to run an anodizing operation capable of any significant volume.

** actually, you could....but it would be a lot. A real lot. 🤣

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #116,040 of 155,174
Fiat settled the “ugliest car” discussion in the 1990s when they released this monstrosity:

Fiat Multipla

1680750226763.jpeg
The 2020's haven't been much better. I crack up every time I see one. They look like road warts. 🤣

1680830575855.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back