Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #115,831 of 155,168
It's a plug-in hybrid with a 4.4 liter V8 that puts out 644hp and 590lb-ft of torque, weighs north of 6000 pounds, and has the drag coefficient of the side of a barn — and thus gets you an eye-watering EPA rating of 14 mpg combined.

Not sure this thing would qualify as "green" even if you painted it that. 🤣
… it takes much green …

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #115,832 of 155,168
Not sure what provoked that. My thinking was simply that the TeleTubbies, being aliens, would have tech to vanquish a bunch of Aussies, who are alien-tech-free.

Dunno which, if either, would have an opinion on NC outdoor cooking. Come to think of it, maybe the Wriggles would be tossing 'nother 'Tubby on the barbie.
Tubbkebob … mmm … mmm

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #115,833 of 155,168
I was trying to stay lighter proof and lighter flavor profile. 1792 Small Batch is very good. 1792 Bottled in Bond is stellar and the one to hunt, but alas, it has become very hard to find in my area, again because of all the awards that came down for it. Then, there is always Buffalo Trace. I buy a bottle or two whenever I see it.
Thank the Bourbon gods that Buffalo Trace is readily available almost all the time. But if you haven’t tried Yellowstone
lighter flavor and no flavor dont mean the same thing 😁..

I guess I would describe it as Wild Turkey is like eating Spicy Candied Pecans where Jefferson's is like eating a fresh sugar cookie with hints of cinnamon, butter and maybe some applesauce..

Jim Beam white label is like drinking the warm stale water in your McDonald's cup after the Coke is gone and the ice melted, with a hint of everclear in the background. Knob Creek? Bookers? Bakers? Yes please. I'd still take Beam over Basil Hayden ( watered down - ginger,pepper,leather, tobacco)
May your description of JB white live forever in the halls of the bourbon gods. My wife and I are still laughing…

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #115,834 of 155,168
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Dire Straits---Sultans of Swing

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #115,835 of 155,168
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #115,836 of 155,168
I beg to vigorously disagree. The Citroen DS regularly makes the top 10 lists of most beautiful cars. My family had one when I was a kid and I miss it to this day. Unfortunately I live in Calgary and the nearest shop that works on them is in Vancouver so it's not practical for me to pick one up.

The suspension was a fskn marvel, way ahead of its time (still), and later models had steerable headlights, something that's only now beginning to show up in new model cars.
So… living in SE Asia (Laos) from ‘67-‘71, we all had Embassy-provided local guards at our homes, during the hours of darkness. Frieds with a DS came home one night to find their guard asleep in the driveway. Given they had a DS, they just raised the car, drove in over the aforementioned guard, and went to bed. Nothing but net… i agree, beautiful car. I learnt to drive stick on a ‘67 Beetle and a 2CV Panel Van. I consider myself very, very lucky.

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #115,838 of 155,168
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Good one! 😜
They are responsible for the battle of Yorktown, the very one that gave the US its Independence. You would be drinking Earl Grey and eating Crumpets instead of Starbucks and Burgers if the French had lost that one.

Atleast their score is higher than the US after taking into account Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Out of the 169 most important world battles fought since 387BC, France has won 109, lost 49 and drawn 10.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #115,839 of 155,168
So, I gather that you haven't seen the BMW XM yet?
The XM is the worst of the bunch indeed, but many current BMW's have a, let's say remarkable design. I drive a BMW, luckily with old style kidneys. I'm afraid that I have to hold on to it for a long time.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #115,840 of 155,168
The XM is the worst of the bunch indeed, but many current BMW's have a, let's say remarkable design. I drive a BMW, luckily with old style kidneys. I'm afraid that I have to hold on to it for a long time.
Oldtimer BMW .....

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 13.27.46.png
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 13.28.12.png
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 13.28.22.png
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 13.28.36.png
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 13.29.04.png

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #115,842 of 155,168
I'm going to use the Syn in my office/gaming/listening room. As stated, I love surround sound, and have been battling getting good surround for pc gaming for a decade now. I've used the 7.1 pre-outs on motherboards into an old Onkyo reciever with analog multi-channel inputs. That was fine, but every motherboard upgrade comes with different quality onboard sound, varying degrees of noise floor, and pops to the amp every time the computer boots, shuts down, and sometimes when just changing the sound output on the PC. I finally got sick of that, and tried a usb 7.1 surround processor with a headphone amp. In short, it was garbage. The headphone amp was terrible and the processor would intermittently drop channels. It was useless for gaming. And i never want to go down the HDMI path from GPU into a receiver. HDMI passthrough is just a nightmare with resolution and variable refreshrate standards and support being so inconsistent.
HDMI could be okay if you leave your primary monitor directly attached to the GPU and connect a surround receiver also using HDMI (potentially requiring a cheap second monitor attached to the receiver, or a dummy HDMI display dongle), provided your GPU has the right kind and number of outputs to run both. It would look like a sound card to Windows and can be the default audio device even when the game/movie/... is displayed on a monitor connected to a different output, bypassing the video format headaches.
That said, I'm pretty sure disconnecting the HDMI cable to my TV fixed the frequent crashes in one particularly fragile game, but I also have a pretty long cable run.

My mainboard also has a TOSLINK out in addition to the troublesome analog surround outs you mentioned, and in Windows you can configure the surround standards and sample rates supported by the downstream device (since they cannot be automatically detected). That might be the easiest solution, including perfect electrical isolation, though I think 5.1 is the max that TOSLINK supports. Hm, and it would probably require Windows to encode it as a Dolby Digital stream, not sure that's supported...

However, the above is just food for thought, I have been two channel only for a while since I don't have the space for a proper surround setup. My main challenge is getting enough distance to the rears (and from the rears to the walls) so they can actually project a decent soundstage.

Edit: Apparently, when the stars align, it could indeed look like this:

a3b25c66-0b05-4517-b92d-d4be6f298bcd

But the Dolby Audio app produces an error when I try to install it, people are reporting the need for patched drivers, to be installed with security features disabled and other sketchy stuff, so... never mind. I can't even set the digital out to surround right now and there doesn't seem to be a sane way to enable it.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #115,843 of 155,168
I have the JAN 5670W tube in my Vali 2++. I feel that it's an improvement over the stock tube and it's relatively inexpensive.
Yes, I use GE 5670 5-Star in my MJOLNIR2 ... good price/performance value, even over here, and seem to last forever. They do need converters but I like the way the tubes sit higher in the sockets.

I found this interesting product brochure from back when they were first produced

Attachments

• GE_5star.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #115,844 of 155,168
Yes, I use GE 5670 5-Star in my MJOLNIR2 ... good price/performance value, even over here, and seem to last forever. They do need converters but I like the way the tubes sit higher in the sockets.

I found this interesting product brochure from back when they were first produced
Nice document, indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back