Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 10, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #110,297 of 155,074
Obviously, you've never dropped a hot tube onto your nether regions. :rolling_eyes:
There's off topic, but appropriate, 99% of the articles in this thread.

The rest are on topic, but appropriate.

Until today.

For a first in history, we are on topic, but inappropriate.

Does lotion cure sympathetic pain?

Feb 10, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #110,298 of 155,074
Apple said, about spacial audio, that there would be no batch processing (obviously a dig at MQA, for those in the know), and the result was good for the hand-processed stuff, but... all the labels just batch processed their music anyway, for the most part.
I think the problem most people have with MQA is that it is transparently another attempt by business interests to charge people to listen to music they have purchased. The hope is to get paid by the play, even for music that should be long out of copyright. Perhaps you can even copyright a 'new', high sample rate version, and have Congress pass law giving holders of copyrights on new versions control of the old, expired copyright.

They do this with medicine patents every day.

The way to enforce this is by requiring chips on devices in order to work or play new media or stream.

MQA is such a chip.

We know what the long term goal is.

Feb 10, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #110,302 of 155,074
I stopped viewing the "Cheap Audioman", Andrew Robinson and a motorcycle guy from England for pretty much the same reason. I understand that they are more than allowed to monetize their efforts but I heartily dislike what I have termed "sInfluencers" and this is what I have begun to think of some youtube folk.

I have not returned to the two audio reviewers I mentioned but I did try the motorcycle reviewer about a month ago and within a few minutes clicked out and have yet to return because he has become more a shill. To me.

I NEVER even glance at anything from anyone labled a sInfluencer on spAmazon. If I wanted some vapid airhead's thoughts on what to buy I need only look in to a mirror and ax my self!

Ort, for motorcycle stuff I like Fortnine. Ryan doesn’t post often but what he does is almost always worthwhile. He has a very good video on how to lean your bike at slow speeds.
Ray

Feb 10, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #110,306 of 155,074
If I have no sound...

... I know it's going to be one of those days.

Long story short:
MQA sold the audiophile press on carefully hand-mastered audio. Then the labels that they sold the idea to, batch processed their catalog, and the result was awful (boosted bass and loss of detail with old jazz, loss of atmosphere and depth in classical music etc.).
Ironically, someone from Dolby was on the MQA board for a while. Dolby are the experts in getting people to implement their tech and make it a "must have". Back in the '90s you couldn't buy a cassette deck without a Dolby switch, for example. Audiophilia is too niche for it to gain any useful traction though. Regular people don't know or care about high res, and manufacturers mostly shunned it when they found out they'd been lied to.
Apple said, about spacial audio, that there would be no batch processing (obviously a dig at MQA, for those in the know), and the result was good for the hand-processed stuff, but... all the labels just batch processed their music anyway, for the most part.

Indeed production and distribution standards matter a lot for final music enjoyment.
IMHO, MQA is a dying child. Immersive audio might have a future, it is only just starting. If recording studios catch on and quality content gets there, it might take off.
Dolby business model does not help, Apple has a better approach. Large benefit I see is that the headphone generation can enjoy the format.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #110,307 of 155,074
Feb 10, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #110,309 of 155,074
SERIOUSLY!!! @Jason Stoddard @ArmchairPhilosopher - don't keep us in suspense!!! What was the outcome?!?!?!?!
Brian (audio-head.com) I'm sure will sum up later today...they were still listening when I had to get going. Seemed somewhat inconclusive when I left. No worries; the prototypes survived, and we can do a better (longer, really double-blinded) listen in the future.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 10, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #110,310 of 155,074
With as good as the music is on an album like The Resistance with the whole Exogenesis suite on it, you would think they would care about how it was mastered.
That's the big disconnect that baffles me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back