Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #10,426 of 150,446
That's the one. Congrats on finding the smarmiest and most disingenuous obituary I've ever read.

-Oh, Peter Aczel is still very much alive (At least he was around Christmastime) - he'll turn 90 in a month or so, if memory serves.

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #10,428 of 150,446
Jason,

By way of background, I'm a (happy) former customer and (very likely) future customer who is drawn to personal audio because having young kids makes old school house-rattling stereo listening impossible. I spent my down time this weekend reading your "book," and am very glad I did. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, views, and the wisdom of someone who has been there and done that. It was a great read.

I think you came out on the obj/subj debate pretty much in a logical and necessary place. Logical, because you are human and have ears, a mind, and preferences. Necessary, because few of us would be here if all you needed was something that measured flat from 20-20 with very low THD. I think you are 100% right that we all benefit from a big, inclusive tent. Without a crowd, there wouldn't be the amazing range of options that we currently enjoy.

I think we're in a golden age of enthusiast audio, thanks in no small part to Schiit and some like-minded folks.

Just don't turn out to be like Mark Schifter, please. As someone with 5k+ posts on the AV123 forum and the minor scars to show for it, I am a little reluctant to worship any audio idols. That being said, you, personally, and Schiit, as a company, are pretty inspiring! Keep it up...

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #10,429 of 150,446
Jason,
Just don't turn out to be like Mark Schifter, please. As someone with 5k+ posts on the AV123 forum and the minor scars to show for it, I am a little reluctant to worship any audio idols. That being said, you, personally, and Schiit, as a company, are pretty inspiring! Keep it up...

When you say worship, do you mean anything like this?

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/c3sOuEv0E2I[/VIDEO]

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #10,431 of 150,446
  Jason is currently vacationing in Asia – I therefore have the pleasure of making this very important product announcement in my own thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784471/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter/570#post_12468997

Hence the reason to lock your computer when you step away for a "Vacation"
could have been worse!
http://fortune.com/2016/03/20/swift-advisement-bangladesh-bank/

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #10,432 of 150,446
Mike, can I please have the biggest Johnson that you will have available?  Will you be making them in black, or only silver?  How long can you use the Johnson at a time?  I've heard that running it for more than four hours is not recommended and may require repair.

Thanks so much for posting this product announcement, I'm really excited.

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #10,433 of 150,446
If you but two, you will get Johnson & Johnson.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #10,434 of 150,446
What the flip.. Mike can do c o ck jokes but my my post gets deleted?

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #10,438 of 150,446
  Actually, one of the courses I took in college (1970s) was "Scientific Observational Analysis" where we had to learn to develop "trained observational skills". The head of our department (a renowned figure in our field) stressed to us that "if you can see it, hear it, smell it or otherwise sense it, it is likely real. If you can't measure it, you need to develop the method of analysis and measurement." He also stressed the reality of not getting funded to research something if there wasn't a financial end to it, explaining why so many things simply don't get serious study. It was an enlightening ten week course where we had to come to understand biases, how to work with them and understand their impact on our observations, as well as understanding what was needed to trust our observations and when to question them.

I love optical illusions. My brain processes them, but the actual photons are not doing what my brain thinks they are doing.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Peripheral_drift_illusion_rotating_snakes.svg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back