Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 30, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #104,311 of 150,581
My “main stack” is Mjolnir 2/Gungnir Multibit, not Ragnarok/Yggdrasil. Mjolnir 2 is a warmer, wetter, “happier” amp than Ragnarok, and Gungnir Multibit is also a bit more euphonic than Yggy.
Man, this brings back memories! And, takes me back to when I was finally 100% convinced that my Gungnir MB was good enough for me. I've since bought a 2nd one ... to get Unison. Everybody needs affirmation from time to time ... :)

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #104,312 of 150,581
Man, this brings back memories! And, takes me back to when I was finally 100% convinced that my Gungnir MB was good enough for me. I've since bought a 2nd one ... to get Unison. Everybody needs affirmation from time to time ... :)
It is not my intention to start an argument but I will just say the Gungnir did quite well against the Yggy in my previous DAC comparison. I will leave it at that. :ksc75smile: It is what I still own.

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #104,313 of 150,581
More importantly ... that Jason chapter on subjectivists vs objectivists is HOF material. We should re-post/revisit it every year, just like we revisit A Christman Story, with its Red Ryder BB gun, the leg lamp, etc. Both are classics.
Agree 100%. Kind of like I go back to David Mahler's "Battle of the Flagships," from time to time, to re-read his review and re-confirm that my Sennheiser HD800 headphones are still ranked #6 on his list, even though the reviews (sadly) haven't changed in 10-years.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared.634201/

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #104,314 of 150,581
I hope there's some left in 10 days! We're leaving for vacation and I can't get anything shipped until I get home.
You could have it shipped to me.😁 I could do a comparison between it and a Freya +, gift you a nice pair of tubes, and pay shipping and insurance to get it to you. I would just buy one and send it on but you need the warranty to be in your name.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #104,315 of 150,581
It is not my intention to start an argument but I will just say the Gungnir did quite well against the Yggy in my previous DAC comparison. I will leave it at that. :ksc75smile: It is what I still own.

I think its also fair to note that was an A1 Gungnir, vs an A1 Yggdrasil. So while a valid comparison, it is an older comparison.

I will be most interested to hear how the new comparisons turn out.

Its also worth noting that the A1 gungnir is still sought after because of its quality sound. Sbaf folks often seem to be hunting for A1s..

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #104,316 of 150,581
Agree 100%. Kind of like I go back to David Mahler's "Battle of the Flagships," from time to time, to re-read his review and re-confirm that my Sennheiser HD800 headphones are still ranked #6 on his list, even though the reviews (sadly) haven't changed in 10-years.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared.634201/
I owned both the HD800 and HD800S (both sold in the past month) and through all the SOTA contenders I've owned from the Abyss 1266 to the Focal Utopia to the HiFiMan Susvara, to the (RAAL SR1a that I will keep for watching movies) I never had any intention of ever parting with the Senn's. There was just something that made them a relaxed, involving and fun HP to listen too. And without a doubt the most comfortable wearing HP's of any I've owned or auditioned. If my hearing issues hadn't come up this year I don't think I would ever have parted with them.

The bass, even in the HD800, in my opinion, was spot on with "acoustic" instruments. Other HP's I've owned or auditioned at length had specific areas where they excelled compared to the Senn's but I found the Senn's to have the right combination of sound aspects I found enjoyable.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #104,317 of 150,581

This quote had my head spinning...until I realized it was from 2016 :laughing:

I'm rocking the Gumby with Unison > Mjolnir 2 (still prefer it over Folkvangr) combo. Only complaint with the MJ2 is the heat generation (note my location) and future tube availability...I run this thing 8-10 hours a day as it also serves as my work laptop output for calls, etc.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #104,318 of 150,581
Thanks for another great chapter @Jason Stoddard! Is there a possibility there might eventually be a Schiit desktop 2 channel amp (something like 25W at 4 ohm) say in a Magni or Magnius case?
Not a chance for 25Wx2. 10Wx2 is about the limit of even an Asgard-sized chassis, unless you're talking fans or Class D. That said, 10W should be enough to melt your head nearfield. Heck, even less. Maybe more on this later...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 30, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #104,319 of 150,581
The MJ2, another classic piece of Schiit for those with a taste for the sound of 6DJ8/6922 type of tube. Funny, until thjis year I really hadn't sold any equipment I purchased since Jan of 2016 (I did trade one) when I returned to the audio hobby. I just keep buying more racks as the collection grew and split the collection between 2 different floors.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #104,320 of 150,581
I think its also fair to note that was an A1 Gungnir, vs an A1 Yggdrasil. So while a valid comparison, it is an older comparison.

I will be most interested to hear how the new comparisons turn out.

Its also worth noting that the A1 gungnir is still sought after because of its quality sound. Sbaf folks often seem to be hunting for A1s..
I had mentioned previously the comparison was done at least three years ago but failed to say it at this time. It is only fair to get the latest Gungnir included if we do a Gungnir again, I do not have the Unison™ at home.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #104,321 of 150,581
I owned both the HD800 and HD800S (both sold in the past month) and through all the SOTA contenders I've owned from the Abyss 1266 to the Focal Utopia to the HiFiMan Susvara, to the (RAAL SR1a that I will keep for watching movies) I never had any intention of ever parting with the Senn's. There was just something that made them a relaxed, involving and fun HP to listen too. And without a doubt the most comfortable wearing HP's of any I've owned or auditioned. If my hearing issues hadn't come up this year I don't think I would ever have parted with them.

The bass, even in the HD800, in my opinion, was spot on with "acoustic" instruments. Other HP's I've owned or auditioned at length had specific areas where they excelled compared to the Senn's but I found the Senn's to have the right combination of sound aspects I found enjoyable.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Sennheisers @FLTWS.

I also like them :beyersmile:

I bought a pair of HD800S about 9 months ago.

I have not spent a lot of time listening with them, but when I do, driven by the 'bonkers' Schiit Folkvangr headphone amp, they sound great!

Most of my listening is still done with loudspeakers, and that remains my favourite way to enjoy music.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #104,322 of 150,581
I had mentioned previously the comparison was done at least three years ago but failed to say it at this time. It is only fair to get the latest Gungnir included if we do a Gungnir again, I do not have the Unison™ at home.
I remember that when Unison launched, @Ableza had installed it in his Yggy. He reported a ~20% improvement in SQ. So, comparing my two Gungnirs, the older one Gen5 and the new one Unison, I have noticed a nice improvement in SQ, too. I did make two other changes at the same time (for disclaimers) ... new MacBook Pro with USB-C instead of USB-A, and Roon as music server replacing JRiver. The net improvement has been sonically very enjoyable. YMMV as always :)

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #104,323 of 150,581
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Sennheisers @FLTWS.

I also like them :beyersmile:

I bought a pair of HD800S about 9 months ago.

I have not spent a lot of time listening with them, but when I do, driven by the 'bonkers' Schiit Folkvangr headphone amp, they sound great!

Most of my listening is still done with loudspeakers, and that remains my favourite way to enjoy music.
I mostly use loudspeakers myself now unless I am doing specific comparisons and for many of those we used the HD800 in the past. My speaker/amp combination amazes me every time I turn it on so I have reached my happy place with that part of my gear. :ksc75smile:

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #104,324 of 150,581
I remember that when Unison launched, @Ableza had installed it in his Yggy. He reported a ~20% improvement in SQ. So, comparing my two Gungnirs, the older one Gen5 and the new one Unison, I have noticed a nice improvement in SQ, too. I did make two other changes at the same time (for disclaimers) ... new MacBook Pro with USB-C instead of USB-A, and Roon as music server replacing JRiver. The net improvement has been sonically very enjoyable. YMMV as always :)
Yes, I experienced a noticeable improvement in dynamics and clarity switching from Gen 5 USB to Unison, but I would never have said "20%." My report is purely subjective; nothing was measured so nothing can be quantified in that way. :)

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #104,325 of 150,581
I literally had a dream that Schiit would do a black Friday sale, and it actually happened the next day. When I got the email i was not surprised. So that is a hella coincidence or a premonition. I bit on the Freya Noval. Is that going to outperform my dedicated preamp per channel Saga+'s. I have had no issues with this set up, some thought volume levels would be a concern and it sounds very "hella" nice. I have suggested elsewhere that Schiit should come up with dedicated per channel pre amps and call them Hella's but i digress. Go get some Saga's with matched tubes use one for each channel and draw your own conclusions.

First concerts: Wendy O Williams and Kiss, John Butcher Axis Krokus, and Def Leppard, Fastway Saxon and Iron Maiden. In a relatively short time after that i came to find that the European bands seemed to care more about bang for the buck (professionalism/not being hammered) and sound quality than their American peers. Last concert ZZ Top in the auditorium 2017.

It also was not a coincidence to me that this will be the last one; black friday sale.

Edited to remove an opinion and correct the concert list.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back