Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 24, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #103,681 of 150,704
That appears to be a tube amp on the bottom, if so which one?
Kinda looks like a PrimaLuna but its pretty dark in that spot to see clearly.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #103,682 of 150,704
Kinda looks like a PrimaLuna but its pretty dark in that spot to see clearly.
True, maybe with a dust cover of some type.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #103,684 of 150,704
Nov 24, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #103,685 of 150,704
First concert was the Hollies at the Congress in Eastbourne. My mum and dad took me, absolutely loved it. Included an extended banjo solo on Stop, Stop, Stop.

First concert I paid for was Sheryl Crow at the Royal Albert Hall. Got a second encore where she played Hallelujah by herself with a guitar.

Other highlights:

Aerosmith, Lenny Kravitz, the Black Crowes and the Stereophonics at Wembley. Lenny was amazing that day.

Bon Jovi at the final concert at the old Wembley stadium. They opened with London Calling and the place went bananas.

U2 on the 360 tour at Wembley, got into area between the inner and outer stages with my sister.

Paul Weller at Mr Smalls in Pittsburgh. Maybe an audience of 800 for a hero of mine.

Brandy Carlile at the Ryman in Nashville. Surprise guest was Sheryl Crow. Them doing Redemption Day together the way that Johnny Casha arranged it....Had me in tears.

X Ambassadors at Brooklyn Steel in Brooklyn. This was days after the shooting in Vegas and they dedicated Unsteady to the victims.... So emotional and we all sang through the tears.

Was also special to see Elton John here in Pittsburgh on his farewell tour, actually saw him twice in the farwell tour. Amazing performance for an old man.

Keane at the Winter Garden in Eastbourne the day before their debut album was released. Local band who made it big.

The Rag n Bone Man with Lewis Capaldi at the Masonic Hall in Detroit. Surprise birthday present from my wife.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #103,686 of 150,704
I have no idea if the La Voce had been upgraded when I heard it, that has been a few years back. We did a blind test on 20 DACs then but this time it will be maybe 15 and we will be using at least two versions of the latest Yggdrasil. Last time we had an early version of the Gungnir as well but I own one so it is easy enough to compare one with one of the top few DACS I bring home for an extended listen. I suspect we will have at least 60 total test subjects including myself, last time we had that many or more and my results were pretty close to that of the group. I had two DACs reversed in the final order of finish. I will say that Schiit is the only company from which we are allowing multiple DACS.:ksc75smile: We are using an $8,000 maximum cost so that eliminates other Aqua DACs.

This comparison is not for everyone and I will use our tube comparisons as an example of what we do. Say a person likes a slamming bass, or increased mids or whatever, those are just a few criteria, we rate on 25 so a tube may have a few characteristics a person likes but may test lower on several others. Some of the top 6sn7s tested well across all criteria and those numbers were an average of what the entire group thought. It is a 100 point scale so some tubes ended up in the high 90's, others in the 60's or 70's yet even the ones with the low scores might have been wonderful in a few areas.

Some 6sn7 tubes sold for $1,000 or more, a couple were priceless because they were one of a kind. (engineering samples). No tester knew if a tube was a well known brand, was worth $1,000 or $25. That eliminates bias. To this day people swear by specific tubes but I can tell you many did not fare as well as those people might hope. This is not my system, it was a group effort and many of those involved are pretty well respected in their fields. My role is relatively small, I built all cables being used and I designed and built four tube amplifiers that we use on occasion. Some things I would have to talk about in PM but I will just say it is an easy way for me to hear and evaluate several DAC's at the same time with the same music and the same gear. I cannot do this going from one Audio showroom to another. :ksc75smile:

I will not know which DAC is which, if we are going by weight the PrimaLuna weighs 28.7 lbs. :)
I think you should throw one of these into the mix. Seriously. Does a $10 DAC come in last, or...........not? :scream:

1669314821463.png

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #103,687 of 150,704
I think you should throw one of these into the mix. Seriously. Does a $10 DAC come in last, or...........not? :scream:

It’s bad enough when $5,000 DAC’s fall behind those selling for $1,000 or less.😂

Come to think of it. A $500 Topping was a surprise last time as best I recall. There was a $350 R2R Chinese DAC that was very close to the bottom, that was the least expensive last time so in a way, we threw in some lower price DACS. This time not so much. The only Chinese DAC under consideration is the DOGE 7 mk II.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #103,689 of 150,704
Nov 24, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #103,690 of 150,704
Yes. I love them bi-amped by the Aegirs.

I used to monitor with Tannoy NFM-8s. A fun, exciting speaker.

As an aside, at Nimbus Records, we were swamped with work. So, I was working 2nd Shift, to help keep up. Just doing a listening test on an incoming master tape. One of those environmental ambient recordings of rain. Well, I started feeling sleepy just listening. I must have dosed off, when the next thing I know, it felt like the room exploded! I bolted upright, trying to figure out what happened? On rewinding the tape, I found that a thunderstorm had hit in the recording! A recorded clap of thunder had awoken me. Also a wind gust, from the front port of the Tannoy's, had hit me in the face, from a distance of about 6 feet away! Scared the Schiit out of me. Very dynamic! True story. :grinning:

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #103,691 of 150,704

1669314821463.png
Well... anything above $9.32 should be considered "bling"... just kidding, I'll see myself out.

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #103,694 of 150,704
Ha! I don’t remember Patrizier being that bad but I drank mostly Kulmbacher beers when I was stationed in Grafenwohr. They look fun, will definitely check out.
I was stationed in Friedberg after basic training. Twenty years later, I think going to Europe at 18 was one of the best things I ever did.

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #103,695 of 150,704
This Thanksgiving, I wanted to express my gratitude to @Jason Stoddard and all the other folks at Schiit Audio. My current Schiit stack, although it was both discontinued shortly after I bought them (!), continues to amaze me with its clarity, balance and musicality. For the price I paid, I'm shocked at the level of sound quality I get to listen to every day.

Thanks, folks!

And thanks to Head-Fi for making this great online community possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back