Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 16, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #103,111 of 151,658
Happy Schiit owners: what sort of cables do I need to hook these up? I don't mean, what brand of super fancy cables, I just mean what kinda connectors honestly and I can source the cables locally from there.

Between the Modi and Magni, just some well-constructed RCA cables, as short as works with your placement. Into the Modi, depends on your source(s). If you have a choice, digital coax or USB would probably be best. There's a 1/4"/6.35mm headphone jack, so get an adapter or new cable if your headphones aren't so terminated.

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #103,112 of 151,658
Which of the 3 newly-releasing magnis do you personally like the sound of best?
Magni+. But that's me. And I may be crazy.

I was also pretty disappointed with the durability of cerakote. I thought that it being a gun coating, it should be pretty resistant to knocks and chipping.

I had a watch coated in cerakote, and a simple knock against anything hard chipped it......

Cerakote is...really finicky. Everything has to be sandblasted and 100% free from any kind of oil, then it has to be baked at exactly the right temperature, and the baking has an effect on both surface finish and durability. Maybe it could be dialed in if we had the time and inclination, but it's not confidence-inspiring for a high-volume, high-value product. That's why we didn't go with it.

Will it be the new process? Sys etc too? How long will the silver stuff be around in the small size?
Old look, anodized aluminum and black powder for Modi Multibit 2. This was supposed to be a March product.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 16, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #103,113 of 151,658
It was already on the Modi 3E.
Oh I think he's referring to the fact that previously they didn't release Unison Modi Multibit due to space constraints. Like they literally could not fit the Unison module in there.

But I'm assuming with the new one coming they probably redesigned everything so now they managed to find a way to fit it in there lol.
But there is a difference.
Lol I mean on Reddit people will tell you any dac over $100 all sound the same.

Luckily we're at Head-Fi and I'll say that every dac I've tried so far all sound different. Some have bigger difference some have smaller difference but they're all different.

Sometimes better sometimes worse but most of the time just different lol.
Happy Schiit owners: what sort of cables do I need to hook these up? I don't mean, what brand of super fancy cables, I just mean what kinda connectors honestly and I can source the cables locally from there.
https://www.schiit.com/products/pyst-cables

I was gonna say if you were ordering from Schiit you could've ordered their pyst cables. So you can have your pyst and Schiit together. :laughing:

But it's ok I just use any regular RCA cables from UGREEN from Amazon lol.

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #103,114 of 151,658
That looks like a young Finnegan.🤪
I have been working on losing weight and have a fairly smart scale that records on my phone. Yesterday morn I am looking at my phone trying to figure out how I gained 7 pounds overnight. I looked down and Finnegan had his two front paws on the scale.😁

That. Is. Awesome.

So funny.

I have a "smart" scale, but I've recently had to start wearing a compression stocking and it no longer remembers me... ¯\_(⊙︿⊙)_/¯

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #103,115 of 151,658
Which of the 3 newly-releasing magnis do you personally like the sound of best?
Jason historically doesn't offer his opinion when there are multiple options. It comes down to what you like and what you listen to.
(edit) Except he did earlier in the thread... wow!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #103,116 of 151,658
I am extremely happy with the choices Schiit makes to balance business needs with consumer needs. Difficult choices indeed, but it seems that Jason and team are able to walk that fine line between what is needed to remain a viable company and what we as consumers want. Kudos to @Jason Stoddard, @Baldr (Mike) and team for making those tough decisions (or maybe they're easy, IDK) while still keeping us and our needs/wants in mind. It seems they know what we want before we know what we want! :D

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #103,117 of 151,658
Lol I mean on Reddit people will tell you any dac over $100 all sound the same.
How much does the free built-in DAC on the motherboard of a $500 PC cost? Probably $2? $5 at the max. I’ve heard people claim that add on DACs can’t improve over those.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #103,118 of 151,658
Oh I think he's referring to the fact that previously they didn't release Unison Modi Multibit due to space constraints. Like they literally could not fit the Unison module in there.

But I'm assuming with the new one coming they probably redesigned everything so now they managed to find a way to fit it in there lol.

But it's ok I just use any regular RCA cables from UGREEN from Amazon lol.
100% and 100%.

Completely different Modi Multibit 2, and yeah, we don't claim any cable magick. Ours are just short and have funny names.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #103,119 of 151,658
How much does the free built-in DAC on the motherboard of a $500 PC cost? Probably $2? $5 at the max. I’ve heard people claim that add on DACs can’t improve over those.
I mean... if I put on my hardware engineer hat, internal cards do have some inherent limitations (power quality from the PCI bus, grounding, etc), so I tend to agree in that instance.
External DACs do have clear advantages. Although a lot of people who hold the opinion stated are using USB Gamerz eXtr3me headsets from an amazon dropshipper anyway and are getting their sound from whatever is in that.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #103,120 of 151,658
USB UAC-2 codec--as in, USB receiver, DAC, ADC, bias for microphone, TRRS type detection/switching, and headphone amp (as in, a schittload more than just a DAC--that's basically Unison, DAC, analog to digital converter, headphone amp, microphone input)...that's about a $1 chip. For a US manufacturer doing relatively low volume. You get the picture.

How do we know? We designed a whole product around it. And then decided not to do it. Because even at a planned price point of $49, it didn't sound that good.

Again, we do a TON of dev. We try a lot of things. Some things aren't worth doing.

1668651316527.png

Last edited:

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #103,121 of 151,658
When my wife noticed the 'bonkers' Folkvangr in my audio gear rack and asked about it, I said 'Oh that. It's just a headphone amplifier!' :beyersmile:
And an old fashioned one, so it can't be expensive.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #103,122 of 151,658
One gets what one pays for. If one is happy with the sound a $1 PC DAC chips provides, all the power to them -- they are likely as happy with their rig and have more money in the bank than I do. :D

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #103,124 of 151,658
Jason historically doesn't offer his opinion when there are multiple options. It comes down to what you like and what you listen to.
(edit) Except he did earlier in the thread... wow!

My company does not typically offer its opinion, because that way leads to a "spend more, get more" upsale spiral that is (a) not true, and (b) does not serve anyone, and (c) completely anathema to what we are. My personal opinion, sure, I can give that. I also have other personal opinions, such as thinking that Magni/Vali are tons and you don't need more, and liking More is Less Yggys. Neither are super popular. So YMMV.

As far as our company having an opinion on sound, you'll see us talking more about this, usually in context of listeners or reviewers. This is something that has been done for a long, long time. It shouldn't be surprising.

Now, this doesn't mean we're throwing away our APx555 and pair of APx525s. They'll still be in heavy use. It's just we're learning more. You'll notice the lack of ESS IMD hump (and stereotypical ESS sound) in Modi+.

Last edited:

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #103,125 of 151,658
USB UAC-2 codec--as in, USB receiver, DAC, ADC, bias for microphone, TRRS type detection/switching, and headphone amp (as in, a schittload more than just a DAC--that's basically Unison, DAC, analog to digital converter, headphone amp, microphone input)...that's about a $1 chip. For a US manufacturer doing relatively low volume. You get the picture.

How do we know? We designed a whole product around it. And then decided not to do it. Because even at a planned price point of $49, it didn't sound that good.

Again, we do a TON of dev. We try a lot of things. Some things aren't worth doing.

1668651316527.png
So...

You only sell "good Schiit"? Makes sense and it is why I love your company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back