Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 22, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #101,641 of 151,180
Ok another question. It is a cold evening, those of you in warmer regions can pretend. The lights are low, candles are lit, glasses of a fine red wine are in hand. What album do you enjoy with your wife, girl friend, or significant other? I am considering Boz Skaggs Silk Degrees and the song We’re All alone but what do I know? (It turns out he and I share the same birthday, as did Nancy Sinatra and Frank Lloyd Wright. 🤪)
Victoria: Tenebrae Responsories / Lamentations, Trinity College Cambridge Choir, Marlow.

Haunting, languid, mournful, peaceful.

"Tenebrae" means "Into the Darkness" as the music was written by Tomas Luis de Victoria (1568-1611) for the Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday services, but in more secular times and settings is, through its pacing and sheer enveloping beauty, the music we choose to be intimate to. (At our age, experience and consideration count for more than enthusiasm and energy - hence my comment about pacing. You'll understand when you listen to it.)

Attachments

• Trinity College Cambridge - Lamentations, Tenebrae Responsories, Victoria.jpg
    Trinity College Cambridge - Lamentations, Tenebrae Responsories, Victoria.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 0
Oct 22, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #101,642 of 151,180
Speaking of which. What is a favorite MM phono cartridge for under say $500?
Hmmmm....cartridges are so preference dependent, and I haven't used a MM in quite a while. I always liked Grado's wood body cartridges though.

Best bet is to get a couple Jensen step-up transformers and build an external box for them yourself, and then get something like a Koetsu Black. 🤣🤣

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #101,643 of 151,180
I liked Grado's a lot. Now days you can buy a house for the price of some of the Japanese made ones.
My favorite was the Decca line.

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #101,645 of 151,180
I made a solid state audio system for my wife's pottery shed, that is where she usually listens to music. I rarely hear it since I am generally working in my own shop. For serious listening it is tube amps.

I happened to notice this today for a mere $15-16, 000, available for pre-order. :ksc75smile:

https://www.westernelectric.com/91e
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to check out that puppy. But the thought of dropping 16k on that then using Bluetooth gives me a bit of cringe.

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #101,646 of 151,180
Which of those recordings? Many years later, I heard Motian at the VV with Bill Frisell and Joe Lovano at what turned out to be one of his last live gigs before he got too sick to play. Another session in the same run of gigs was recorded for NPR: https://www.npr.org/2008/09/03/9420...isell-joe-lovano-live-at-the-village-vanguard

Motian was a true great of understated, subtle, unpredictable drums, a wonderful composer from bebop to avant-garde, superbly sensitive in his interplay with the rest of the band. I have many of his later recordings, so many gems that I'm having difficulty choosing. But since it's so close to Monk's anniversary (gag, I had to miss Miles Okazaki at SFJAZZ soloing Monk) what about the delight below, also with Lovano and Frisell (some of this played at the VV gig I attended in awe back in 2008):

M0slKBc.png
Not on QOBUZ ... not that I can find ! Pity

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #101,647 of 151,180
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to check out that puppy. But the thought of dropping 16k on that then using Bluetooth gives me a bit of cringe.
As does the sorcery involved to get 20 watts out of a single 300B. But who knows, maybe it's the greatest new thing since sliced bread??

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #101,648 of 151,180
Gadget is done, has been done, other crazy stuff has been done, just trying to figure out how to package it all so it isn't another Sol adventure (as in something you actually want to buy), then the whole deal got sucked into the DSP abyss, now we think we know how to package it. Expect next year. Expect to be surprised. Very surprised.
And just like that there is the Gadget after years and years of very little info, there is the text "Gadget is done"
Only held back by supply chain problems? Next year is Urd year. Next year is Gadget year. Next year is <insert crazy new Schiit product> year.
I'm dreaming of a ......... wonderful 2023.

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #101,649 of 151,180
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #101,650 of 151,180
Surely, at that price it must also include installation/setup and a concubine. :smirk:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #101,651 of 151,180
Surely, at that price it must also include installation/setup and a concubine. :smirk:
I don't have a turntable. How much for just the concubine? :joy_cat:

Oct 22, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #101,654 of 151,180
Victoria: Tenebrae Responsories / Lamentations, Trinity College Cambridge Choir, Marlow.

Haunting, languid, mournful, peaceful.

"Tenebrae" means "Into the Darkness" as the music was written by Tomas Luis de Victoria (1568-1611) for the Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday services, but in more secular times and settings is, through its pacing and sheer enveloping beauty, the music we choose to be intimate to. (At our age, experience and consideration count for more than enthusiasm and energy - hence my comment about pacing. You'll understand when you listen to it.)
I need to check that out. 🙂

Oct 22, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #101,655 of 151,180
Not on QOBUZ ... not that I can find ! Pity
That's unfortunate, it's such a great set of Monk covers. I own the actual CD, which I ripped when I started doing everything digitally. -- F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back