Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #100,276 of 150,707
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #100,277 of 150,707
Hello all it’s been a while since posting but I love reading this thread in my spare time to brng some enjoyment and new perspective. You all are a real hoot.

Anyway I’m looking for some advice on speakers to pair with my yggy(og or lim) and my single aegir/ Freya plus combo. I currently have the klipsch rp8000f tower speakers but one of the tweeters is blown and am thinking a set of bookshelf speakers would suit me better anyway.
I am worried about missing out on the ZU dirty weekend 6 speakers but have also read they are coming out with a whole new set of redesigned speakers next year I believe.
I’ve also heard good things about the wharfdale lintons 85th anniversary and am tempted but think waiting for something from zu and a little higher end would be worth it.
Any opinions on matching my system with the dirty weekend 6, or the upcoming zu lineup compared to the wharfdales or any other recommendations in this price range(about$3000 per pair or less)would be greatly appreciated .
My reply is largely the same as @KoshNaranek's: Speakers are probably the most subjective component in any rig, and among the hardest to shop for. Not just because of personal tastes and sensibilities, but also because of the needs of the room they'll be in.

The few thoughts I'd like to add to what @KoshNaranek already wrote are:
Bookshelves only ever really make sense if you actually have to place a speaker in or on an actual shelf. And frankly, unless you're only looking for speakers for some casual listening, I would try to avoid putting speakers in or on a shelf at all cost, because doing so will pretty much destroy any imaging you might otherwise be able to get from them.
So, if your room allows, I would strongly suggest that you try to place the speakers freely into the room. And unless they're specifically designed to be placed against a wall, try to have them a few feet away from any walls, too. This is especially important for rear-ported speakers.
Placing speakers freely into a room requires either floor standers, or bookshelves on stands. Bookshelves on stands don't just look a bit dumb, if you ask me, they also require essentially the same footprint as a proper floor stander does. So I really don't see any benefit there. Plus, proper floor standers tend to sound "bigger" than bookshelves on stands as well, simply because there's more volume for the speaker designer to work with.

Now, completely subjectively:
Within your price range, I would personally go for a pair of Magnepan .7 plus a pair of subs. They sound absolutely magnificent for their price. But they do need at least one sub (a pair of subs would be better for improved low-end imaging), and they require a LOT of room. They're not really big, per se, but they require to be placed at least three feet away from any wall, ideally more.
And the Aegir won't really be able to drive them to their full potential. I've seen a few people insist that it works fine, but I have serious doubts.

I own a pair of KEF Q950. They look great (at least mine do in walnut) and sound at least thrice their price. They are portless, which I prefer, and are specifically designed to be placed close to walls. They also don't really need a subwoofer, either. And they are quite efficient, a single Aegir can get them plenty loud. They are, however, not really "8 ohm" as the spec sheet suggest, as they drop down to 3 ohm. So your Aegir will run pretty warm when driving them.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #100,278 of 150,707
It wouldn't fit on that side. That's where the drive is.

Urd is TINY compared to most CD transports, which appear to have been designed around 1985 or so. It's the same footprint as Freya.

Everything has tradeoffs. This is the tradeoff we chose.
Would it be okay to sit a Freya+ on top of it?

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #100,279 of 150,707
Speakers are very subjective so I am hesitant to give you much advice. I will ask a few questions to get an idea of what you looking for.

1. Were you happy with the Klipsch or did you think that they lacked body?
2. How big a room?
3. What music do you generally listen to?
4. Why bookshelves? Could you tolerate floorstanding units under some circumstances?
I am happy enough with the klipsch towers but I feel they lack musicality or bass articulation or body(?) or maybe it’s just the klipsch tuning that makes me think more analytical about the sound and less involved in the flow of music.
Bookshelves because I’ve heard a couple of older pairs from thrift stores only driven by a cheap receiver produce exceptional results in the areas that the klipsch lack.
The klipsch do feel more defined and more separation in between instruments but I just feel something is lacking.
I would be interested in the right towers and I enjoy the shape and size more so than bookshelf but I just want the best sound.

I like to listen to a lot of live recordings of current touring bands such as reggae, jamband, metal, and funk. I also listen to 90’s rnb and hip hop, pop of all ages, old rock, funk, blues, and I have a particular love for clean well defined bass just not too overwhelming and booming.

My room is a medium sized living room attached to a large kitchen all open with very tall ceilings. But my main listening position is about 12 ft or less from the speakers.

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #100,280 of 150,707
I am happy enough with the klipsch towers but I feel they lack musicality or bass articulation or body(?) or maybe it’s just the klipsch tuning that makes me think more analytical about the sound and less involved in the flow of music.
Bookshelves because I’ve heard a couple of older pairs from thrift stores only driven by a cheap receiver produce exceptional results in the areas that the klipsch lack.
The klipsch do feel more defined and more separation in between instruments but I just feel something is lacking.
I would be interested in the right towers and I enjoy the shape and size more so than bookshelf but I just want the best sound.

I like to listen to a lot of live recordings of current touring bands such as reggae, jamband, metal, and funk. I also listen to 90’s rnb and hip hop, pop of all ages, old rock, funk, blues, and I have a particular love for clean well defined bass just not too overwhelming and booming.

My room is a medium sized living room attached to a large kitchen all open with very tall ceilings. But my main listening position is about 12 ft or less from the speakers.
I am running what are considered bookshelf speakers on stands with small subwoofers and I love them. I have owned more towers and large box speakers than I care to recall and to me it is about the sound. It is about your ears and your wallet, be happy in whatever you choose. 🤣

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #100,282 of 150,707

As @ArmchairPhilosopher said, I don't understand bookshelf speakers on stands because they occupy as much floor space as floorstanding speakers

I also think that the Maggies that he suggested are not going to be happy with the Aegir. Not enough power.

You need to find efficient speakers to work with that amp.

I am partial to Martin Logan speakers and own two sets but I think that even they may not be efficient enough to work well with Ageir.

Some of the folks on this thread like Tekton speaker. They are efficient but I haven't heard them.

I agree with your thoughts on Klipsh. Perhaps we have the same taste in speakers, perhaps we do not. You have to make your final decision yourself

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #100,283 of 150,707
Some of my past experiences when trying to squeeze the best sound the speakers are capable of.

Although I love the cohesiveness / simplicity of floor-standers (say Vandersteen 2C's or the smaller Magnepan's or the Sonusfaber's for instance, all of which pay attention to proper time aligned mids and highs), integrating floor-standers to find the sweet spot to get the best bass in conjunction with the best imaging and sound-stage in a room has its challenges.

Bookshelf type speakers on stands that bring the tweeters to, roughly, ear level when seated often provide the best imaging and sound-staging without much fussing around. Independent subs are easier to position to work with the room acoustics but now they're sound integration with the mid(s) and tweeter(s) of the bookshelf's can be more problematic. Unless of course you forgo the subs and are satisfied with the bass from the bookshelf's as is (say something along the lines of the Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitors - but you will need stands for the best sound}.

And you will still need to provide the amping the speakers needs based on efficiency.

Either way, trial and error and patience will be needed to get close to the sound you want.

An easy experiment: put any bookshelf type speaker, no matter how small, on top of a cardboard box (the all-purpose material for all situations), and listen.
Then put the box on it side with all flaps open towards you and put the speakers inside and listen.
That is what happens when you put the speakers on a shelf, or even worse place them in a bookcase.

As previously mentioned by others, if the listening is to be casual or as background then just find speakers that fit in the bookcase or on the shelf. But, typically, smaller box speakers, especially if not ported, can be very inefficient.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #100,284 of 150,707
Bookshelf type speakers on stands that bring the tweeters to, roughly, ear level when seated often provide the best imaging and sound-staging without much fussing around.

Agreed re:tweeters and fussing around.

Since OP is moving away from the Klipsch sound, I did not recommend the Heresy IVs (which is what I have, bi-wired). They are angled up so the tweeters shoot towards my ears at an angle. Works with my room. Ragnarok 2 has enough power to drive them and I use Yggy A2. Best Redbook system I’ve ever put together. Also no fuss to set up - but they are big, big boxes after all.

Either way, trial and error and patience will be needed to get close to the sound you want.

I’d say given what the OP was saying, auditioning a tried-and-true musical pair of KEFs may be in order. Very no-fuss, great detail, super easy to place.

As previously mentioned by others, if the listening is to be casual or as background then just find speakers that fit in the bookcase or on the shelf. But, typically, smaller box speakers, especially if not ported, can be very inefficient.

Yeah, I honestly think pedestals are the way to go. Bookshelves are for books, man! :p

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #100,285 of 150,707
Agreed re:tweeters and fussing around.

Since OP is moving away from the Klipsch sound, I did not recommend the Heresy IVs (which is what I have, bi-wired). They are angled up so the tweeters shoot towards my ears at an angle. Works with my room. Ragnarok 2 has enough power to drive them and I use Yggy A2. Best Redbook system I’ve ever put together. Also no fuss to set up - but they are big, big boxes after all.

I’d say given what the OP was saying, auditioning a tried-and-true musical pair of KEFs may be in order. Very no-fuss, great detail, super easy to place.

Yeah, I honestly think pedestals are the way to go. Bookshelves are for books, man! :p
Sonus Fabers with pedestals are right for me especially paired with the proper tube amp.🤪

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #100,286 of 150,707
Wow greatly appreciate all the input. Well between everyone’s thoughts and explanations I’m still a bit split between bookshelf speakers on proper stands and tower speakers. But I’m leaning towards sticking with towers and just finding the right ones for my taste.
I like the thought of ease of placement of bookshelf speakers as I’m not really willing to rearrange the room to put the speakers in specific spots and I don’t have much room to work with. But I’m willing to forget that and deal with mediocre imaging with towers that can deliver better overall sound and bass. And I think the current placement is pretty good for good acoustics and imaging in this room.

I really like the idea of some kef towers after a little research and review reading but which series? Especially if I intend on keeping the aegir as the amp?

I’m curious why No one has recommended or mentioned the zu audio speakers as they seem seem super efficient?
And is an aegir not good for wharfdale lintons or are there just better speakers to be looking for to pair with it?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #100,287 of 150,707

The RP’s tweeter may have been damaged by driving your single stereo aegir into clipping, which generates a lot of spurious high frequency energy. It looks like replacement parts are available. Often speaker mfr’s use solder-less faston terminals to connect the crossover to the drivers.
You could also consider:
adding a second aegir for more power and reduce the risk of clipping. You will need to get some XLR cables belden 1800f, canare L-4E6S / L-2T2S, or mogami 2549 /2534 to go between the freya’s xlr outputs and the dual Aegirs.

There are may also be port plugs available for your speaker that effectively convert it into a closed box (sealed) design for reduced boominess.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #100,288 of 150,707
I had bookshelf speakers for the first 10 years of being a broke audiophile. I built my own stands for them until I could afford a nicer metal pair. I also lived in apartments with neighbors I didn’t want to piss off. It’s just physics and reality. Bookshelf speakers just worked best for me until I could afford towers and had the right place to appreciate them.

Now I have more towers than I really need but eventually I hope to have a proper house to put them all in.

Which Klipsch speakers do you have? There may be a fix out there to make them sound better.

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #100,289 of 150,707
Wow greatly appreciate all the input. Well between everyone’s thoughts and explanations I’m still a bit split between bookshelf speakers on proper stands and tower speakers. But I’m leaning towards sticking with towers and just finding the right ones for my taste.
I like the thought of ease of placement of bookshelf speakers as I’m not really willing to rearrange the room to put the speakers in specific spots and I don’t have much room to work with. But I’m willing to forget that and deal with mediocre imaging with towers that can deliver better overall sound and bass. And I think the current placement is pretty good for good acoustics and imaging in this room.

I really like the idea of some kef towers after a little research and review reading but which series? Especially if I intend on keeping the aegir as the amp?

I’m curious why No one has recommended or mentioned the zu audio speakers as they seem seem super efficient?
And is an aegir not good for wharfdale lintons or are there just better speakers to be looking for to pair with it?
My only hesitation with bookshelves with an Aegir is that bookshelves are less efficient and need MORE power than towers.

Many towers are 89 db - 93 db+ (3 db sounds twice as loud) whereas similar bookshelves are 83-86 db which means they need double the power to be as loud as the towers.

The KEF LS50's need much more power than most speakers.

Tekton or Zu are much better fits for your amp.

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #100,290 of 150,707
Folkvangr + Focal Elex

They either have the world's longest burn-in time.
Or I've finally retrained my brain to truly enjoy that combo.

Dear Bebe Geezus, I simply can't stop listening.

Still no good for classical, though. Too much bloom and distortion. 🤪

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back