Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #99,961 of 151,658
I've sampled some of my friends streaming services. BLECH!
I will most likely use streaming with my small system, just some background music while I am on my computer.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #99,962 of 151,658
No pics, but here's a line drawing. Note inputs and outputs. You can switch USB sources to USB, or use it as a USB-SPDIF converter. Please don't call it a DDC, I hate the term. Someday I hope we'll blow that term up. We'll see.

I'm still to blame for all the industrial design. You should always include the opportunity for growth (and for better understanding what we can do with stamping, etc.). There are several fields I would never have been able to do anything credible with in pre-internet, pre-computer before-fore times. Design, marketing, advertising, branding, hell, direct sales--none of this would have ever been in my wheelhouse before. We live in incredible times. Take advantage of it!

That said, on the industrial design side...you ain't seen nothing yet. A number of upcoming prototypes have produced remarks like "I'd buy it just for the looks," and "looks like a product that's 2x more expensive than the previous one." We're gonna be pushing what we can do with metal fab in the USA in the very near term.

urd line drawing.png
So, it's still a digital hub, of sorts? :wink:

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #99,963 of 151,658
I should try that one day.🤪

I am trying different combinations but the biggest factor has been adding the cable risers. How have I lived without them??? I may have to get a set for my headphone cables.😜😜😜
Looks great! And cable lifters are doing their thing. @bcowen will be jealous

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #99,964 of 151,658
With Yggy and Gumby both having BNC its a bit surprising to not see that output on Urd.

Aside from that I wish I owned CDs, if only to justify buying a shiny new toy. :)

Try your local flea market. Mine sells cds for $1. You can start a decent CD library with a c-note, and if you're buying that many all at once you can negotiate an even better price.

Amusingly, the same vendor bumped his cassette price up to $3 each...

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #99,965 of 151,658
I think part of the confusion is that it appears from Jason's line drawing that URD uses USB-C. If this is correct then the back panel is labeled correctly.
Nothing to do with USB-C. I was referring to the icons: arrow pointing towards circle should be input; arrow pointing away from circle should be output.

I didn't know that the same icons are already used in other Schiit products (e.g. Freyas), and @tincanear noted that they are opposite from the Urd line drawing.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #99,967 of 151,658
Schiit products not available in India 😒
Schiit products are available World Wide! They also ship to India. Just as they ship to ........ (append the country of your liking).
That is called direct sales :wink:

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #99,969 of 151,658
I‘m surprised nobody has offered cardboard cable lifters.
I would make him some except I have far too much audio gear in my shop to be creating saw dust or paper dust. I want to say he already owns this type of lifter. :beerchug:

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #99,970 of 151,658
Does anyone know why Schitt says their products only samples to 24/192 but players like roon think that it can handle 32-bit (upsampled) music. RN I have my jot with akm dac in it. Windows thinks it can go up to 32/192. I know for a fact you can not go above 192 it wont make music but if you set i to 32 bit it works? Can schiit products secretly do 32 bit or is it a hardware reporting issue. This also happens on my main pc with my bf2.

What are the experts opinion on upsampling anyway?

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #99,972 of 151,658
Nothing to do with USB-C. I was referring to the icons: arrow pointing towards circle should be input; arrow pointing away from circle should be output.

I didn't know that the same icons are already used in other Schiit products (e.g. Freyas), and @tincanear noted that they are opposite from the Urd line drawing.
Ah, I see what you mean and thanks for the clarification. I didn't even notice the arrows. It should help, though, that he's grouped and labeled the inputs/outputs by section. I completely agree that arrows should be oriented properly.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #99,973 of 151,658
Looks great! And cable lifters are doing their thing. @bcowen will be jealous

@bcowen already has tons of cable risers...!

empty-toilet-paper-rolls-white-background-133306317.jpg

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #99,974 of 151,658
I should try that one day.🤪

0B92999F-40DD-4C04-9924-C882BB5B0F3C.jpeg

I am trying different combinations but the biggest factor has been adding the cable risers. How have I lived without them??? I may have to get a set for my headphone cables.😜😜😜

Pretty sweet...! Is the Melos a head-amp...? I've always wanted to try some of their gear, but it never worked out. Curious as to how everything sounds...? :laughing:

Oh, what speakers? :smiley:

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #99,975 of 151,658
Try your local flea market. Mine sells cds for $1. You can start a decent CD library with a c-note, and if you're buying that many all at once you can negotiate an even better price.

Amusingly, the same vendor bumped his cassette price up to $3 each...

Blame that on the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtracks. So far, all have been released on cassette too, so you can pretend to be Star Lord...! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back