Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 28, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #98,566 of 155,186
About a dozen years ago, my company was contracted by Delphi (formerly part of General Motors) to work on a prototype solid-oxide fuel cell system they were developing for automotive power and large truck APU systems. The prototype was successful, but because it relied on platinum it was too expensive to produce at a reasonable cost. BMW and Peterbuilt both installed a few of them as test platforms, but the project got shelved because it could not be made profitable. I still believe that hydrogen fuel cells could be a long-term answer as onboard power plants for electric cars (such as Toyota demonstrated with their Mirai) or as stationary power for recharging stations. But before they could ever be part of mainstream production someone needs to figure out how to eliminate the need for platinum in the cell.

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #98,567 of 155,186
About a dozen years ago, my company was contracted by Delphi (formerly part of General Motors) to work on a prototype solid-oxide fuel cell system they were developing for automotive power and large truck APU systems. The prototype was successful, but because it relied on platinum it was too expensive to produce at a reasonable cost. BMW and Peterbuilt both installed a few of them as test platforms, but the project got shelved because it could not be made profitable. I still believe that hydrogen fuel cells could be a long-term answer as onboard power plants for electric cars (such as Toyota demonstrated with their Mirai) or as stationary power for recharging stations. But before they could ever be part of mainstream production someone needs to figure out how to eliminate the need for platinum in the cell.
You might appreciate this. New inexpensive catalysts for fuel cells:

https://www.imeche.org/news/news-ar...bring-hydrogen-fuel-cells-into-the-mainstream

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #98,568 of 155,186
Aug 28, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #98,569 of 155,186
Don't modern ECUs are care of that? Though I have to admit I haven't tried running my premium-requiring car on anything other than high octane.

With the rental we had last couple of weeks in CA/OR when filling up in OR (where, I'm told one still cannot pump one's own gas - I thought that had changed) in answer to 'Which grade?" the answer was 'Regular, it's a rental".

BTW, we ended up with a Ford Escape which, no matter what I did, would not produce better than 26mpg despite my efforts. I can get better than that out of a 6.2 litre, 495 HP V8!!! Come on Ford.

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #98,570 of 155,186
Promising. I know a few ceramics researchers who have achieved hydrogen reformation (production) from alcohol and also created working cathodes using nano-tube technology. I do not pretend to understand the mechanisms at work there, by the way.
Me either. I’m a technical person so I have a theoretical understanding of the basics, but not nearly enough to separate hype from commercially viable technology.

There is enough research going on for serious innovation though. Whether better batteries, better fuel cells, or something else wins in the marketplace I have no idea, but I do wonder how we’re going to manage the demand for things like lithium, gallium, rare earths, etc. They’re already strategic materials.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #98,571 of 155,186
Don't modern ECUs are care of that? Though I have to admit I haven't tried running my premium-requiring car on anything other than high octane.

With the rental we had last couple of weeks in CA/OR when filling up in OR (where, I'm told one still cannot pump one's own gas - I thought that had changed) in answer to 'Which grade?" the answer was 'Regular, it's a rental".

BTW, we ended up with a Ford Escape which, no matter what I did, would not produce better than 26mpg despite my efforts. I can get better than that out of a 6.2 litre, 495 HP V8!!! Come on Ford.
Basically, if you're East of the Cascades and in a small town or rural area, you can pump your own. It makes fuel access more rationale for agriculture and low density areas. When I see battery-powered Lamborghini tractors, EV will have arrived :wink:

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #98,572 of 155,186
Basically, if you're East of the Cascades and in a small town or rural area, you can pump your own. It makes fuel access more rationale for agriculture and low density areas. When I see battery-powered Lamborghini tractors, EV will have arrived :wink:
Not a Lamborghini, but…

https://www.monarchtractor.com/

I am a bit skeptical of the “driver optional” claim.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #98,574 of 155,186
You can always switch to an Ebike. That’s what I’ve done and I use it daily for a 6 mile commute each way. I’ve gone from spending around $6 / day in fuel and maintenance cost to around $0.05 / day.
This seems like a very economical choice. As I live in Michigan, not a practical option. Unless you can get snow tires or skis for them. :jecklinsmile:

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #98,575 of 155,186
Aug 28, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #98,576 of 155,186
It's a long and boring Sunday, choke-full with mind-numbingly banal coding work for a client's dreary project that just never wants to end.

To break up the monotony a bit, I gave this album a spin earlier, warmly recommended to me by a friend:

1661716970849.png

Most assuredly not my usual fare, but just what the doctor ordered for a day like this.
And it's one of those albums that sound even better through the Folkvangr than they already do through the Mjolnir 2.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #98,577 of 155,186
At the Amelia Island Concours last year, they had an electric vehicle display, including what is believed to be the world’s oldest running electric vehicle, an 1895 Morris and Salom Electrobat IV.

Attachments

• 58B67019-0017-4D92-A128-F1D89C3CAEB4.jpeg
    58B67019-0017-4D92-A128-F1D89C3CAEB4.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 0
Aug 28, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #98,579 of 155,186
By the way thank you to everyone involved for keeping the EV/power grid discussion non-political. I know it can be a hot topic to some, and if it had gone there this would have been shut down. I appreciate being able to discuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back