Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 28, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #98,521 of 153,125
Apple knows how to do good batteries, they just choose not too on their phones. I have an iPad Air 2 from 2014 that still holds a charge very well. My wifes old 6s, not so much.
for max (lithium-ion) battery life, recharge often, keeping the battery level between ~40 and ~70%. deep cycling (e.g. charging fully to 100% and running it down to ~15%) wears the battery out faster. presumably, this applies to lithium-ion batteries used in EV's as well.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #98,522 of 153,125
OK, I gotta vent....

So I'm a believer in cables making a difference (up to a point), especially low-level inter-connect signal cables. I believe that there are many somewhat extreme things that are seemingly absurd that may have a positive impact on sound. Some of these I have not completely discounted because in my mind they might just possess a tiny shred of possibility and believable logic, although it is not yet proven. So where is this going?

I draw the line at cable lifters 'improving' sound! That's just balderdash, silly, nonsense, fiddle-faddle. And if one tries to tell you that maybe your system is just not revealing enough to benefit from it, well, then I would question their hearing and not your gear. :p

** IMHO and YMMV, of course. (Can you tell I just watched a video expounding the virtues of cable lifters on sound?)
I have never heard a comparison between lifted cables and non-lifted cables, but also for me it is a step too far. And it looks downright stupid. If you have visitors, and you try to explain why you have cable lifters, they might immediately call the doctor.

Aug 28, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #98,523 of 153,125
Creating a known bad situation in order to show that you have the "fix" for it is not proof of anything other than you figured out how to create a known bad situation. It is a typical tactic used by politicians, however. :)
Like switching from fuel to electric cars.
Only changing the time and location of the pollution.

Aug 28, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #98,524 of 153,125
I have never heard a comparison between lifted cables and non-lifted cables, but also for me it is a step too far. And it looks downright stupid. If you have visitors, and you try to explain why you have cable lifters, they might immediately call the doctor.
It's for vacuuming, I tell them. Hopefully my wife doesn't tell the real reason 🤣

Aug 28, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #98,525 of 153,125
Spin-Clean Record Washer Mk II is $70 on Amazon... have had one for years, it works like a charm. After you dry the platters, put them in MoFi Archival Record Sleeves (50 pcs, $30 at the aforementioned on-line retailer) and the crackles and pops will be long, long gone.
Thank you, brother! I shall have a look at that this morning! :beerchug:

Aug 28, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #98,526 of 153,125
I paid $5.90 for 91 Octane here in sunny NorCal today. Ridiculous. I wonder how much better my car would run if I could actually get fuel that was higher in octane than the drop-dead minimum that the engine needs...
I have a Ram EmoDiesel (my brother's term for it!). The little 3.0 V6 will deliver up to 33 mpg on the highway at a constant 55 mph. I did that a couple of years ago because in northern California there was a roughly 100 mile stretch of Interstate 5 that was marked at 55 MPH due to construction. I got 27 mpg when I went to T.H.E. this year in Long Belch. I drive the speed limit and obey the "Basic Speed Law" we were taught in "Driver's Ed" decades ago.

The Ram usually gives me 22-24 mpg on my commute to and from work. I like it. I want to leave this state but my immediate family is here so... Am I. LOL!

I still want that Marantz CD60 in silver/gold, but then I want a LOT of stuff! This too, shall pass...I hope! :ksc75smile:

Aug 28, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #98,527 of 153,125
I may build some cable lifters just because it will allow me to use up some wood I rescued when a limb fell on my property. I have tiled floors where my audio equipment sits and I believe the lifters are used to get the cable away from carpeting. I will most likely give the lifters to someone who wants to try them.

In recent experiments I found I could kiln dry small pieces of wood in our convection oven. I did this with honey locust for a hatchet handle.

12E4B677-4700-4F36-A8B4-037E0DB47C68.jpegF40A0717-7994-42C7-BD2B-0C069176DD66.jpegDC26AE21-9D97-48EF-BF45-EAE219947552.jpeg

I will turn the lifters on a wood lathe.

Aug 28, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #98,528 of 153,125
I may build some cable lifters just because it will allow me to use up some wood I rescued when a limb fell on my property. I have tiled floors where my audio equipment sits and I believe the lifters are used to get the cable away from carpeting. I will most likely give the lifters to someone who wants to try them.

In recent experiments I found I could kiln dry small pieces of wood in our convection oven. I did this with honey locust for a hatchet handle.

12E4B677-4700-4F36-A8B4-037E0DB47C68.jpegF40A0717-7994-42C7-BD2B-0C069176DD66.jpegDC26AE21-9D97-48EF-BF45-EAE219947552.jpeg

I will turn the lifters on a wood lathe.
Sounds great! Lets us see the finished product. I saw a Youtube reviewer swear by risers. He was using tinker toys for the lifters and heard a significant improvement (significant is in the eyes of the beholder). Anyway, good luck!

Leo

Aug 28, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #98,529 of 153,125
I fully agree, Sam, very tasty. Another hidden gem is Rowan's Creek. So many great small bourbons up in KY.
I also love New Riff from KY.

Aug 28, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #98,530 of 153,125
Sounds great! Lets us see the finished product. I saw a Youtube reviewer swear by risers. He was using tinker toys for the lifters and heard a significant improvement (significant is in the eyes of the beholder). Anyway, good luck!

Leo
It will be a while before I can start but it should be a nice quick fall or winter project. I need to build a couple of amp cabinets, some mini speakers and an audio rack first.

Aug 28, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #98,531 of 153,125
I have a friend that uses H.O. Scale train trestles to prevent "the audio from going to ground"...What a hoot! This sort of stuff is what makes an enthusiast into a frAudiophile. If you do it for the looks, fine. But claiming "sound improvements" is too much for such as I. If you want to claim that it makes it all better, fine. Just do not expect me not to heartily chuckle, but hey, I chuckle when ever I look into a mirror. :ksc75smile:

Aug 28, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #98,532 of 153,125
I saw a Youtube reviewer swear by risers.
Lots of YouTubers swear to almost anything that brings them views/clicks/percentages.
I think I would too if it paid my bills. 🤣😂

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #98,533 of 153,125
I have cable risers in my theater room. But only for the looks and a way to keep them organized. Never thought about using tinker toys. I just used some wood I had left over from another project and made some identical blocks.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #98,534 of 153,125
Lots of YouTubers swear to almost anything that brings them views/clicks/percentages.
I think I would too if it paid my bills. 🤣😂
I have no thoughts either way on the value of risers. I suppose an individual could be blind folded then led into the sweet spot in a room to see if he or she could tell when the risers were in place. I think this is a job for @bcowen and his blindfold should be made out of Sorbothane. :ksc75smile:

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #98,535 of 153,125
I have no thoughts either way on the value of risers. I suppose an individual could be blind folded then led into the sweet spot in a room to see if he or she could tell when the risers were in place. I think this is a job for @bcowen and his blindfold should be made out of Sorbothane. :ksc75smile:
I feel like I've been promoted. Just a few short weeks ago it would have been a cardboard blindfold. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back