Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 7, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #97,711 of 150,707
1659889129898.png

It's funny because it's true…

Aug 7, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #97,712 of 150,707
Thanks. So reading through a few of those posts I'd just be muddying up the waters of that conversation since I am 1) not using an upgraded Bifrost 2, I have a 2/64 and it's the only Bifrost I've ever owned; 2) I am using S/PDIF not USB; 3) I do not muck around with sample rates, I am listening to music off my server through a streamer, and; 4) when it switches between 16/44.1 and 24/96 files and back through the streamer it clicks and does just fine with no issues.

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #97,713 of 150,707
SS.jpg

Sorry for the back-to-back Futurama references.
I realize this thread has topics that are **cough** somewhat broad but remain generally light and non-political.
Texas is pretty darn dry right now (north TX approaching 70 days without measurable rain) but that doesn't make us a desert.
S. Florida is definitely not a desert, and we've gotten very little rain this summer, too.

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #97,714 of 150,707
We haven't noticed any issues with Bifrost 2 or 2/64 in internal testing with the new firmware, and all Bifrosts are checked on all sample rates and on all inputs before being shipped out.

That said, I'll have Dave take a look and see if there's anything we can address. Odd system-dependent stuff (PC, Mac, and tablets with players outside the Roon/Qobuz/Tidal/Apple/Amazon world) may be difficult or impossible to nail down.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 7, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #97,715 of 150,707
I’ve had the upgrade card for almost a week now with no issues.

As soon as I got it, I updated the firmware using the supplied SD card, then swapped out the old card with the new card. Running my iPad via USB-C to USB-B adapter into my BF2 (purchased 2 years ago). I get all the normal clicking without issues. However, I can’t see what the sample rate is.

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #97,716 of 150,707
We haven't noticed any issues with Bifrost 2 or 2/64 in internal testing with the new firmware, and all Bifrosts are checked on all sample rates and on all inputs before being shipped out.

That said, I'll have Dave take a look and see if there's anything we can address. Odd system-dependent stuff (PC, Mac, and tablets with players outside the Roon/Qobuz/Tidal/Apple/Amazon world) may be difficult or impossible to nail down.
Over-samplers complaining that systems won't work right with their jiggered files remands me of PC over-clockers complaining to motherboard manufacturers that their sockets fried.

Aug 7, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #97,717 of 150,707
That sounds an awful lot like an issue I’ve had with original Yggy with A2 and Unison upgrades. It’s happened twice, where for a number of days there’s distortion regardless of the source (both Unison and AES). Changing sample rates typically fixes. Almost sent it in for service the second time it happened but it cleared up and hasn’t reoccurred since early April.

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #97,719 of 150,707
Using different dacs over the years, WASAPI push vs event has given me issues described above. Mostly the occasional distortion occurs with Foobar 2000 and the WASAPI push mode. When it happens I use event and problem solved. If I use event then I dont see or hear this distorion.
Interesting, especially since Bifrost 2 gave me grief with WASAPI event unless I massaged the buffer length (20 ms or lower typically does the job) or just used WASAPI push (i.e. push was more solid in my case). That's pre 2/64.

I had some issues with the original Bifrost 2 (not 2/64) and WASAPI in event mode, depending on the buffer length. I recorded the audio.
Does the 2/64 problem sound like that or different?

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #97,720 of 150,707
Interesting, especially since Bifrost 2 gave me grief with WASAPI event unless I massaged the buffer length (20 ms or lower typically does the job) or just used WASAPI push (i.e. push was more solid in my case). That's pre 2/64.
I only seemed to experience this with Foobar 2000 and Quobuz...JRiver MC works with either mode...
When using event it plays fine and then after a few minutes etc it craps out with the distortion.
Never happened with Direct Sound etc..

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #97,721 of 150,707
I had asked the question about what would mono block Vidars give me in my situation a while back. I decided to go forth with it.

What I definitely noticed was a gain in bass presence and detail. So much so that it has changed my habits with the Freya+! I no longer prefer the tubes but rather the buffered option gives me an easier sound, clearer and more detail, with plenty of presence.

Anyway, definitely worth the additional expense.

Bifrost 2/64 should arrive tomorrow. We will see how that will change the sound. My first stand-alone DAC!!!

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #97,722 of 150,707
I had asked the question about what would mono block Vidars give me in my situation a while back. I decided to go forth with it.

What I definitely noticed was a gain in bass presence and detail. So much so that it has changed my habits with the Freya+! I no longer prefer the tubes but rather the buffered option gives me an easier sound, clearer and more detail, with plenty of presence.

Bifrost 2/64 should arrive tomorrow. We will see how that will change the sound. My first stand-alone DAC!!!
Curious to know what speakers you are using the Vidars with.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #97,723 of 150,707
Using different dacs over the years, WASAPI push vs event has given me issues described above. Mostly the occasional distortion occurs with Foobar 2000 and the WASAPI push mode. When it happens I use event and problem solved. If I use event then I dont see or hear this distorion.
This is why I don’t use a PC as a playback source.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #97,724 of 150,707

Interesting findings with the Freya+ @Bonehead7171
I tried an early Freya and didn't like the tube output in my system, so I didn't keep it. I know that the Freya+ has a much improved output.
I went for a Freya S a couple of years ago.
I am very happy with it and like the buffered 1 x output option best.

I am sure it depends on synergy with power amps.

In my case the amps are built in to some active ATC 100 ASLs; if I had 'conventional' speakers, I would almost certainly use Schiit power amps- Vidar, Aegir or Tyr :dt880smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back