Aug 6, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #97,636 of 149,271
You know the drill for questions...send them to denise@schiit.com

SchiitrMeet August
Wednesday, August 10, 6PM PDT

Please join us at the Schiitr:

22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321
Maybe I can save Ms Denise some time:
"Sorry, I have no idea what the wackiest idea is either. @Jason Stoddard is as big a tease at the office as he is online."

Would love to join you in Newhall, but the pop-up Schiiter in Austin was SO convenient...

LOL! I'm having the nutsedge wars here. If you've never dealt with it, it's a sickly green color, grows at about 3x the rate of the fescue or bermuda it invades, spreads unbelievably quickly, and Roundup won't touch it. Gotta buy special nutsedge killer that is expensive. My next door neighbor couldn't be bothered to care about it, so his entire backyard is basically a nutsedge farm that migrates to my yard almost weekly. Maybe I should try peeing on it. :laughing:
Nutsedge sucks. Sedgehammer works, kind of. Didn't do anything when I applied it, but made it really sickly months later when the growing season started again. Kind of like that Clemson fact sheet said...

And, sort of on-topic and building on new gear: I'm the guy for whom Schiit's new gear's biggest competition is Schiit's old gear.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #97,637 of 149,271
How about a pre-amp with built in DAC (one with more inputs than just USB..)?
Freya+Bifrost maybe.

And, sort of on-topic and building on new gear: I'm the guy for whom Schiit's new gear's biggest competition is Schiit's old gear.
Agreed.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #97,638 of 149,271
If you look at the page number of this reply.... 6502. This too was a very popular chip back in the day. Apple ][ and Commodore computers used it for the brains... Fondly remember Z80 as in TRS-80 and Timex Sinclair. Fun times.
And now we’re on page 6510, the CPU of the Commodore 64! There’s some memories, not only the games, the music, and loading times from tape but it’s the system I started programming on (in the built-in BASIC V2), and I’m still at it, mostly on other systems but sometimes still on my old ‘64 :ksc75smile:

2029329D-A46E-4EAD-9FFF-23E729369834.gif

Aug 6, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #97,640 of 149,271
I'm surprised that nobody talks about this. Lets take a wild guess..uhmm tube amp, nah, class D amp, meh, nope after toilet paper and Folksvangr... I don't know. What do you think it is?
How about a pre-amp with built in DAC (one with more inputs than just USB..)?
Freya+Bifrost maybe.
I'm half of a mind to think that Jason is planning on moving away from modular d/a cards in his headphone amps and Ragnarok. I'm less inclined to think this because, a. this would defunct 3 products (Asgard; Jot; Rag); b. not everyone wants separates and c. Mike had an updated multibit card to release just before the DSP shortages started.

Mjolnir 3? Vidar redesign? that's all I've got.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #97,641 of 149,271
Gadget?

Hi end phono stage?

... but maybe the set fire 🔥 to all sacred 🐄 cows 🐮 product? 🤔

Aug 6, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #97,642 of 149,271
I'm surprised that nobody talks about this. Lets take a wild guess..uhmm tube amp, nah, class D amp, meh, nope after toilet paper and Folksvangr... I don't know. What do you think it is?
My thoughts would be that it is the Sigma Delta or Delta Sigma DAC that Mike, Dave and Ivana have developed over the past years.
Totally different from any other SD design because of the a totally different design approach.
No "standard" chip but a completely in house developed 1 bit method of converting the bits to an analogue signal.
As a result a beautiful and silk sound that you wouldn't expect from a SD DAC and doesn't meet it's match in the audio industry.
My apologies to @Jason Stoddard for revealing this.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #97,644 of 149,271
No, we don't know when Urd will be available (parts issues like everything else)
That is in fact very good news.
It means the Beta program has finished succesfully, all programming glitches are solved and production/parts issues are the only thing holding back the release.

Aug 6, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #97,646 of 149,271
Oh. I normally see that written as "Delta Sigma" not "Sigma Delta". Need to show my ignorance every now and then. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #97,647 of 149,271

Announcing .... the Schiit Freya Einvigi.

An 8-tube 6SN7 amplifier like nothing ever seen before.
(*)

Like the Freya+, you can switch between passive, differential buffer, or differential tube gain stages.

So what's an Einvigi?
From The Vikings of Bjornstad Old Norse Dictionary, Einvigi, is a duel, single combat.

The Einvigi is two Freyas in a box, designed to allow instantaneous switching between any two pairs (or combos) of tubes (or non-tubes.)

Let's imagine you had for the gain (right side) tubes
* 2 matched KenRad VT-231
* 2 matched Melz 1578
And for the (left side) followers
* 2 matched Raytheon 6SN7WGT
* 2 matched Sylvania 6SN7W

You could compare ... again, with no delay, just by flipping switches:

Combos:
* KenRad + Raytheon vs Melz + Sylvania
or
* KenRad + Sylvania vs Melz + Raytheon
or
* KenRad + Sylvania vs Melz + diff-buffer
etc

Hold gain side constant:
* Melz + any two of [Raytheon or Sylvania or diff-buffer or passive]
or
* KenRad + any two of [Raytheon or Sylvania or diff-buffer or passive]

Hold follower side constant:
* Raytheon + (KenRad or Melz)
or
* Sylvania + (KenRad or Melz).

Of course, by moving the tubes, you can also try various combos with Sylvanias and Raytheon as drivers, and/or the Melz and KenRads as followers. You may find you like combos that go against conventional wisdom.

WOW ?? Yes, very neat.

But WAIT .... there's MORE!

There's firmware support for automated blind testing!

Pick your "A" combo, and pick your "B" combo .... which can be any of the combos listed above.

Switches let you pick:
* how many iterations you want (5/10/20/30)
* how long each sample plays (5/10/20/40/80/160/320 sec)
* whether your source is "live" or whether you feed your DAC a sample stored on the Einvigi
* test pattern: AB paired, AB random, or XAB (**)

Say you pick: 10 iterations, 30 seconds, AB random, and you'd copied a 24-96 FLAC of Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone as your listening choice for string music. (A nice choice, but Ennio Morricone playing Ennio Morricone on the soundtrack of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly would also be an excellent choice.)

Hit the CALIBRATE button: Freya Einvigi does an internal sound level calibration to match within 0.05 db.

Hit the GO botton: Display shows "1", and beautiful sounds flow into your ears. After the designated 30 seconds, there's a 2-second gap. On a copy of the Data Form that ships with the product, you write down whether you thought sample 1 was "A combo" or "B combo", and sample 2 starts up.

After listening to all the samples ... 10 iterations x 2 per iteration for an AB x 30 seconds ... so approximately 10 minutes later in this hypothetical example ... you hit the SHOW SEQ button, and Einvigi's minimalist display steps through the random pattern .... 1 was A, 2 was B, 3 was A, 4 was A, 5 was A, 6 was B, etc. You score yourself ... 13 of 20 correct. A handy-dandy table printed on the Data Form tells you that the probability of getting that result randomly is 13.2%. The frequentist interpretation would be that you have not convincingly demonstrated that you can consistently differentiate between what's in Combo A vs Combo B. Whether that's good or not depends on what you were expecting. If the Melz sounded to you like the differential buffer ... hmmm ... let's just say you have ears and/or listening skills that allow you to be a very thrifty audiophile. (This could be me, I don't know, I don't have an Einvigi to help me.)

But WAIT ... there's MORE!

Instead of having a Thunderdome trial of your tubes, you can also AB-Test two different sources ... like 2 different DACS. The Einvigi will send the same stored sample to 2 DACS, and randomly switch between them. (Or you can feed your own source to both.)

Most of us don't spend most of our time doing rigorous AB-testing. And don't want to.

Freya Einvigi allows you to switch between two different sets of favorite tubes, without the hassle of pulling hot tubes and putting the other set in.

You like KenRads with some music and NOS TungSols with some other kinds of music, but sometimes it's too much hassle to change? Or you're lucky/clever enough to have some Melz 1578s, but you only use those for very serious listening time? Einvigi is your answer, lazy guy or gal.

Other details:
* In test mode with tubes, all the tubes in play are heated, allowing instantaneously switching.
* but in "normal" operation, you only heat the tubes that are in use.
* internal storage of a sample is necessary ... or at least very helpful ... in allowing you to replay the same tune over and over and over. Per my understanding, that would be Best Practice for AB-testing.
* Einvigi stores several 10,000-long strings of (pseudo) random numbers. One for paired AB, one or more for the longer "random but balanced" sequences.

It this some crazy Schiit? Yes it is.

Do you want it? Yes you do.

-------
(*) Not an actual Schiit product announcement. Purely speculative.

(**) I'm not well-studied on AB-testing. I'm using these terms here, which may not be "industry standard":
AB paired: for each pair of tests, the sequence is either AB or BA.
AB random: for say 10 iterations - in total there will be 10xA and 10xB, but they won't necessarily be paired.
XAB: plays A or B as the reference first, then random A/B and random A/B, you have to decide which matches the reference.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #97,649 of 149,271
Announcing .... the Schiit Freya Einvigi.

An 8-tube 6SN7 amplifier like nothing ever seen before.
(*)

Like the Freya+, you can switch between passive, differential buffer, or differential tube gain stages.

So what's an Einvigi?
From The Vikings of Bjornstad Old Norse Dictionary, Einvigi, is a duel, single combat.

The Einvigi is two Freyas in a box, designed to allow instantaneous switching between any two pairs (or combos) of tubes (or non-tubes.)

Let's imagine you had for the gain (right side) tubes
* 2 matched KenRad VT-231
* 2 matched Melz 1578
And for the (left side) followers
* 2 matched Raytheon 6SN7WGT
* 2 matched Sylvania 6SN7W

You could compare ... again, with no delay, just by flipping switches:

Combos:
* KenRad + Raytheon vs Melz + Sylvania
or
* KenRad + Sylvania vs Melz + Raytheon
or
* KenRad + Sylvania vs Melz + diff-buffer
etc

Hold gain side constant:
* Melz + any two of [Raytheon or Sylvania or diff-buffer or passive]
or
* KenRad + any two of [Raytheon or Sylvania or diff-buffer or passive]

Hold follower side constant:
* Raytheon + vs KenRad w Raytheon
or
* Melz w Sylvania vs KenRad w Sylvia.

Of course, you can also try with Sylvanias and Raytheon as drivers, and/or the Melz and KenRads as followers. You may find you like combos that go against conventional wisdom.

WOW ?? Yes, very neat.

But WAIT .... there's MORE!

There's firmware support for automated blind testing!

Pick your "A" combo, and pick your "B" combo .... which can be any of the combos listed above.

Switches let you pick:
* how many iterations you want (5/10/20/30)
* how long each sample plays (5/10/20/40/80/160/320 sec)
* whether your source is "live" or supplied or whether you feed your DAC a sample stored on the Einvigi
* test pattern: AB paired, AB random, or XAB (**)

Say you pick: 10 iterations, 30 seconds, AB random, and you'd copied a 24-96 FLAC of Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone as your listening choice for string music. (A nice choice, but Ennio Morricone playing Ennio Morricone on the soundtrack of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly would also be an excellent choice.)

Hit the CALIBRATE button: Freya Einvigi does an internal sound level calibration to match within 0.05 db.

Hit the GO botton: Display shows "1", and beautiful sounds flow into your ears. After the designated 30 seconds, there's a 2-second gap. On a copy of the Data Form that ships with the product, you write down whether you thought sample 1 was "A combo" or "B combo", and sample 2 starts up.

After listening to all the samples ... 10 iterations x 2 per iteration for an AB x 30 seconds ... so approximately 10 minutes later in this hypothetical example ... you hit the SHOW SEQ button, and Einvigi's minimalist display steps through the random pattern .... 1 was A, 2 was B, 3 was A, 4 was A, 5 was A, 6 was B, etc. You score yourself ... 13 of 20 correct. A handy-dandy table printed on the Data Form tells you that the probability of getting that result randomly is 13.2%. The frequentist interpretation would be that you have not convincingly demonstrated that you can consistently differentiate between what's in Combo A vs Combo B. Whether that's good or not depends on what you were expecting. If the Melz sounded to you like the differential buffer ... hmmm ... let's just say you have ears and/or listening skills that allow you to be a very thrifty audiophile. (This could be me, I don't know, I don't have an Einvigi to help me.)

Instead of having a Thunderdome trial of your tubes, you can also AB-Test two different sources ... like 2 different DACS. The Einvigi will send the same stored sample to 2 DACS, and randomly switch between them. (Or you can feed your own source to both.)

Most of us don't spend most of our time doing rigorous AB-testing. And don't want to.

Freya Einvigi allows you to switch between two different sets of favorite tubes, without the hassle of pulling hot tubes and putting the other set in.

You like KenRads with some music and NOS TungSols with some other kinds of music, but sometimes it's too much hassle to change? Or you're lucky/clever enough to have some Melz 1578s, but you only use those for very serious listening time? Einvigi is your answer, lazy guy or gal.

Other details:
* In test mode with tubes, all the tubes in play are heated, allowing instantaneously switching.
* but in "normal" operation, you only heat the tubes that are in use.
* internal storage of a sample is necessary ... or at least very helpful ... in allowing you to replay the same tune over and over and over. Per my understanding, that would be Best Practice for AB-testing.
* Einvigi stores several 10,000 strings of (pseudo) random numbers. One for paired AB, one or more for the longer "random but balanced" sequences.

It this some crazy Schiit? Yes it is.

Do you want it? Yes you do.

-------
(*) Not an actual Schiit product announcement. Purely speculative.

(**) I'm not well-studied on AB-testing. I'm using these terms here, which may not be "industry standard":
AB paired: for each pair of tests, the sequence is either AB or BA.
AB random: for say 10 iterations - in total there will be 10xA and 10xB, but they won't necessarily be paired.
XAB: plays A or B as the reference first, then random A/B and random A/B, you have to decide which matches the reference.
Just wow

* should it include GE tubes for "he whom shall not be named"?

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #97,650 of 149,271
I'm guessing a Schiit watch. Black is standard with silver at an upcharge, and the power switch on back. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back