Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 12, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #96,122 of 151,488
Very indeed. I did a pass without the Lokius, then turned it on. Blown away, really. But strangely, not for all music. Definitely for classical, jazz--whatever the 800S are generally good for. The music genres it's not as good for, I feel that the FV accentuates how the Senns are not suited for those genres. Then, I swap over to the Clears (OG) and I'm super happy again. Non-EQd there. It's like the FV just accentuates the qualities, both good and bad, of the headphones they're driving.

To be fair, I haven't played much with the multiplier.
Of all the genres I listen to, classical and jazz probably feature the least, so I hope the FV/ HD800S combination works with my favourite music.

I don’t want to change my music choices to suit the audio gear!

Even for an old audiophool like me, that would be a step too far.:beyersmile:

Jul 12, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #96,123 of 151,488
I predict the same when mine arrives (supposedly) on Wednesday. But then some divine inspiration hit me in the head this morning: Wednesday is also Amazon Day (in the US anyway), so I'll place 10 different orders and she'll be so focused on grumbling about having to move all those boxes inside that she won't notice one is labeled Schiit. This has a 78.4% chance of actually working according to my calculations. Not that I can't buy what I want when I want or have to make excuses or come up with an explanation or anything, of course. 🤣
A cunning plan @bcowen :relaxed:
I was thrown off guard this morning- Fed Ex delivered my Folkvangr..a day early!

The first I knew of it was when my wife came into our back room and said
‘Did you order something…?’

That really isn’t a fair question!
I mumbled something along the lines of ‘perhaps I had’.

The package didn’t have my name clearly marked, so my wife opened it.

Seeing the strange device inside the box, she was none the wiser.

‘What is it?’ she asked.

‘Oh, it’s just a headphone amp’.

I think I might have got away with it:beyersmile:

Later this week a package with 10 tubes is expected.

It will be a piece of cake explaining those- they’re spare valves.

Edit: FedEx delivered the FV two days early! They were quicker than most internal Royal Mail deliveries here in UK:relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #96,124 of 151,488
A cunning plan @bcowen :relaxed:
I was thrown off guard this morning- Fed Ex delivered my Folkvangr..a day early!

The first I knew of it was when my wife came into our back room and said
‘Did you order something…?’

That really isn’t a fair question!
I mumbled something along the lines of ‘perhaps I had’.

The package didn’t have my name clearly marked, so my wife opened it.

Seeing the strange device inside the box, she was none the wiser.

‘What is it?’ she asked.

‘Oh, it’s just a headphone amp’.

I think I might have got away with it:beyersmile:

Later this week a package with 10 tubes is expected.

It will be a piece of cake explaining those- they’re spare valves.
wish I could get 'illegal' things into the house like that :xf_cool:

Jul 12, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #96,125 of 151,488
I guess I'm pretty lucky. Here is word-for-word, my pre-purchase conversation with my wife:

Me: The crazy amp I've been following the development of for the past year launched a few minutes ago.
https://www.schiit.com/products/folkvangr

Her: What does this mean?

Me: It means I want to buy an absurdly expensive, limited production (only 247 available for sale) tube amplifier. 🙂

Her: ok-what does this crazy thing do?

Me: play music through headphones. 🙂

Her: ok

Jul 12, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #96,126 of 151,488
I guess I'm pretty lucky. Here is word-for-word, my pre-purchase conversation with my wife:

Me: The crazy amp I've been following the development of for the past year launched a few minutes ago.

Me: It means I want to buy an absurdly expensive, limited production (only 247 available for sale) tube amplifier. 🙂

Sounds like a keeper to me.

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #96,127 of 151,488

Well, it’s been a while since I’ve posted photos of Elma, so here’s one where she’s inspecting our new tiny greenhouse.

F42BF3E7-C1FA-4E38-A0DA-41059A2F1A5F.jpeg

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #96,128 of 151,488
Well, it’s been a while since I’ve posted photos of Elma, so here’s one where she’s inspecting our new tiny greenhouse.

She's probably thinking: "Finally, my own place!" 😉

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #96,129 of 151,488

Watch out for the boomerang

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #96,130 of 151,488

Unless we are buying another car or house my wife and I never have those conversations. I did mention one upcoming audio purchase since it involves her riding in a cargo van. I put $25k into a pottery shed for her so I have some catching up to do. :ksc75smile:

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #96,132 of 151,488
Jul 12, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #96,133 of 151,488
Definitely for classical, jazz--whatever the 800S are generally good for. The music genres it's not as good for, I feel that the FV accentuates how the Senns are not suited for those genres.
Since I settled on my current rig, I've yet to find a music genre that the HD800 can not handle. Of course, YMMV :)

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #96,134 of 151,488
I don’t want to change my music choices to suit the audio gear!
Since I settled on my current rig, I've yet to find a music genre that the HD800 can not handle. Of course, YMMV :)
To be fair, I don't think it's a big issue. I just happen to have both headphones, and so I swap a lot. I do find the FV very engaging, and I kept adjusting the volume to get more engaged, regardless of headphone pairing and music. I'm trying to figure out how to AB the Lyr, short of just swapping RCAs a lot. :D

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #96,135 of 151,488
My wife is thinking of declaring headphones and gear illegal 😁. But I think she’ll forget all about it when my new car comes. If it ever gets finished, waiting for the dreaded “chip” to complete it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back