Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 7, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #95,852 of 155,096
I notice the ship time for the Folkvangr is now 1-2 weeks. That suggests demand is starting to outpace production. Lots of possible reasons why.

One possible reason is demand for the FV is picking up, It is also possible production rate has dropped, or some combination of both.
I was 18.

She said I had BAD KARMA MAN

Rooster's home.

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #95,853 of 155,096
My Marketing story: I am an engineer, I test big products in an industry which I will not name. Successful tests and getting the product “off the #@$* test stand!” is a big deal. Recently Marketing held a product several days so they could take a picture with the moon at a prettier phase.
Tell 'em: hey guys, it's called Photoshop. Dead easy. No excuse.

Well, unless you can sell the boss on the idea of having to go to Tahiti for a commercial shoot (actually happened at another ad agency we knew...we did tech and food, we were the cheap seats. Farthest we went for a shoot, outside of corporate HQs in New York, Colorado, and Arizona was Lone Pine. The photographer drove. We weren't fancy.)

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 7, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #95,854 of 155,096
I think a lot of companies are re-thinking overseas manufacturing now. It makes them pretty vulnerable when international shipping / tariff / political / pandemic disruptions occur. The last 5 years have seen all of the above.
Large companies aren't in the production of goods business. They are in the increase the price of their stock business.

Jason (and everyone at Schiit obviously, it's not a one man clown show!) makes it clear each day he wants Schiit to earn it's money.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #95,856 of 155,096
I think a lot of companies are re-thinking overseas manufacturing now. It makes them pretty vulnerable when international shipping / tariff / political / pandemic disruptions occur. The last 5 years have seen all of the above.
Nah, that’s just a fad. The second things get even just a tad more stable again internationally, corporate greed* wins out again. 😁

My (arguably quite warranted) cynicism aside, the idealist in me hopes that you’re right.

*That often maligned, so-called “corporate greed” includes not only VP and c-suite compensations, but also re-investments, and in the case of publicly traded companies to a massive degree shareholder interests, which—and that’s often conveniently forgotten—include Jane and Joe Shmoe’s very much crucial retirement funds.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #95,857 of 155,096
Nah, that’s just a fad. The second things get even just a tad more stable again internationally, corporate greed* wins out again. 😁

My (arguably quite warranted) cynicism aside, the idealist in me hopes that you’re right.

*That often maligned, so-called “corporate greed” includes not only VP and c-suite compensations, but also re-investments, and in the case of publicly traded companies to a massive degree shareholder interests, which—and that’s often conveniently forgotten—include Jane and Joe Shmoe’s very much crucial retirement funds.
Don’t disagree with the idea that corporations will go back to overseas production the moment they think it will pay off, but I’m pessimistic that things will be stable any time soon.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #95,858 of 155,096
Don’t disagree with the idea that corporations will go back to overseas production the moment they think it will pay off, but I’m pessimistic that things will be stable any time soon.
Granted, I’ve been on this planet for a mere 40 years, but I can’t remember a time where anything has been even remotely stable.

Since I’ve been around:
The 80s? Cold War.
The 90s? Post-Cold War reshuffling of military and economic powers to fill the vacuum that the just-collapsed USSR left behind.
The oughts? The world-wide instabilities caused by Islamic terror attacks and the west’s reaction to it.
The late oughts and first half of the 2010s? Global economical crisis from the US housing crash and the Euro Zone’s struggles with some defaulting nations.

Ok, I think you’re right. There was a phase from about mid 2017 to early 2018 that was going pretty decent overall. 🤪

My point: There’s always something going on in the world. It’s how you deal with it that makes the difference. Not putting all your eggs in one basket is a great first step towards ensuring stability, be it for a corporation or the individual. Globalization is fine. It’s a great tool towards wealth and stability, for societies as well as the one. So is local supply and production. It’s a healthy mix of both that leads to something bigger than the sum if its parts. 🙂

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #95,859 of 155,096
Having worked in the CE industry from 1995-2014 I have to say this is different.

There have been board shortages and other issues, but those were issues for 2-4 months, not as long as they ate now.

Out there in the world 🌎 you can see it in people's eyes and everything just feels like it is a beat 🎵 behind the pace to which we are accustomed.

Jul 7, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #95,862 of 155,096
Folkvangr is in. Any guesses to which room I put it in? 🥵

IMG_9826.jpg

Jul 7, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #95,863 of 155,096
I wonder if the inventors of JIT manufacturing envisioned a globe-spanning supply chain.

Personally I began to realize the costs that shipping products around really incur once I started eBaying.

Do you all know what it costs to ship headphones from China? How about 400lb speakers?

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #95,864 of 155,096
Folkvangr is in. Any guesses to which room I put it in? 🥵

IMG_9826.jpg
I spent about 3 hours listening to the Folkvangr last night in my home office. It was plenty toasty by the end.

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #95,865 of 155,096

Users who are viewing this thread

Back