Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 30, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #93,826 of 150,702
Yes, right now pi to bf2 via USB, then xlr to loki max (and phono pre to loki max via rca), and currently rca to integrated and xlr to jotunheim 2.

Most rca splitters I've looked at have reviewers claiming sound degradation or coloration, so I'm guessing custom cable might be preferable, and recommendations for where to get one of those? Something like this? https://amp.apos.audio/products/zy-...TGESwaO1R_mtRlLrdFp7Yd4fReDMuguoaAlUXEALw_wcB

Is a custom cable better idea than adapters? Thanks
I am not big on adapters, they can introduce issues dependent upon quality of construction and type of connectors used. I build my own custom cables, splitters, and switch boxes if needed. I do use some pigtails on headphone cables but connect them with either XLR's or Mini-XLR's since they lock into place and often offer gold plated connections.

There are plenty of quality RCA switch boxes out there if you need to go from one single ended output to multiple devices. They generally work in reverse, i.e. four inputs to one output or one input to four different outputs. I can easily switch the output of a DAC into four headphone amps if I so desire.

I do not know this brand but here is an an example.

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Stere...s=rca+audio+switch+box&qid=1653920230&sr=8-13

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #93,827 of 150,702
May 30, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #93,828 of 150,702
May 30, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #93,829 of 150,702
May 30, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #93,830 of 150,702
Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #93,831 of 150,702
I prefer watching movies at home nowadays:
  1. No one talking in the background
  2. Better overall (Schiit) sound and picture
  3. Better quality and better priced food and beverages
  4. Start, end, pause when you like
  5. No parking
I always preferred!

May 30, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #93,832 of 150,702
and to add...

6. Drinks and snacks are significantly cheaper.

May 30, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #93,833 of 150,702
I never go to the cinema. I much prefer listening to music to watching movies, even at home.

'Smart' phones at concerts are a menace, especially when people insist on holding their phones up near your face to record a performance.
Why can't people just live in the moment and enjoy the spontaneity of a live performance?

At a local venue near my old house, the organisers banned the use of any phone.
A few years ago when I saw Robin Trower at this excellent all- seater venue, someone held his mobile phone up right in front of my face.

After several minutes, I asked him politely to turn his phone off ,otherwise I'd call security.

He started to get aggressive, so me and my two friends stood up from our seats and he backed down; probably thought the better of challenging three 6ft plus grumpy old men! It should not have been necessary though.

It spoiled the evening.

At a Neil Young concert in London about 10 years ago, phones were also banned.

A few 'fans' decided to ignore this polite request at Hammersmith Odeon, so Neil Young told the audience that if people didn't put their phones away he'd take the band off stage.

Brilliant!

He is one of my music heroes. :beyersmile:

Neil Young is more used to lighters ...

May 30, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #93,834 of 150,702
People ask me why I don't have 'smartphone' and I answer that they are cellPHONES and the 1st function should be that of a PHONE not an internet device.
And as such most cell phones sound like crap when used as a PHONE, as in their intelligibility ofttimes borders on sounding like gibberish.
I do have a flip phone (Kyocera DuraXE) that actually is a decent phone which is all I use it for.

And then there is the issue of what a 'smartphone' actually is, or to put it another way, how the NSA describes them as Mobile Servers, ones that have been hacked and they have developed 'toolkits' designed to access these 'Mobile Servers'.
And the next question to arise should be, what does it serve?
That should make one go hmmmmmmmmmm.

Some peoples 'lives' exist in their smart phones, and for a businessman I can see the utility of utilizing a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant, remember those?) for helping keep track of the myriad of details involved in engaging in business.
But many just get sucked into their phones and as such are unaware of their surroundings and their situational awareness is majorly hampered as a result.
Not to mention peoples socialization skills have been significantly 'altered' as is evident at a restaurant where many ignore those around them while 'staying in touch' with those not in their presence.

I also found it most telling that Steve Jobs would not let his children have a phone nor pad when they were growing up. Ya think he knew something about what was going on?

And of course there is the issue of having a transmitter pressed up against ones head, and for some, for prolonged periods of time no less.
That should make one go hmmmmmmmmmm as well.

Ah, all these modern conveniences how could we live with out them?
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ
Not only Steve Job. Many top tech executives. They state it clearly in docu below. We simply forget that our computer now fits in your pocket. I prefer to use a computer with a large screen/keyboard and mouse, my son thinks differently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Social_Dilemma

Interviewees:
Tristan Harris, former Google design ethicist, co-Founder and CEO of Apture (2007), and co-founder of the Center for Humane Technology; co-host of podcast Your Undivided Attention with Aza Raskin
Tim Kendall, former director of monetization at Facebook, former President of Pinterest, and CEO of Moment (a mobile application that tracks screen time)
Jaron Lanier, American computer philosophy writer, computer scientist, visual artist, and composer of contemporary classical music; author of Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now (2018)
Roger McNamee, early investor at Facebook, author of Zucked: Waking Up to the Facebook Catastrophe (2019), and cofounder of venture capital firm Elevation Partners[18]
Aza Raskin, former head of user experience at Mozilla Labs and creative lead for Firefox; co-founder of the Center for Humane Technology and founder of Massive Health; inventor of the infinite scroll
Justin Rosenstein, former Facebook engineering manager, former Google product manager, and co-founder of Asana and One Project
Shoshana Zuboff, Professor Emeritus at Harvard Business School, author of The Age of Surveillance Capitalism (2019)
Jeff Seibert, former head of product at Twitter, serial tech entrepreneur, and co-founder of Digits
Anna Lembke, medical director of addiction medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine
Jonathan Haidt, social psychologist at the New York University Stern School of Business, author of The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion (2012) and coauthor ofThe Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure (2018)
Sandy Parakilas, former platform operations manager at Facebook and former product manager at Uber
Cathy O'Neil, data scientist and author of Weapons of Math Destruction (2016)
Randima Fernando, former product manager at Nvidia, former executive director at Mindful Schools, and co-founder and executive director of Center For Humane Technology
Joe Toscano, former experience design consultant at Google and author of Automating Humanity (2018)
Bailey Richardson, early team member of Instagram and partner at People & Company
Rashida Richardson, assistant professor of law and political science at Northeastern University School of Law and former director of policy research at AI Now Institute
Guillaume Chaslot, former software engineer at Google (YouTube) and founder of AlgoTransparency
Renée Diresta, technical research manager at the Stanford Internet Observatory and former head of policy at Data for Democracy
Cynthia M. Wong, former senior Internet researcher at Human Rights Watch
Alex Roetter, former senior vice president of engineering at Twitter
Lynn Fox, former director of corporate PR and Mac PR at Apple, former executive of corporate communications at Google

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #93,836 of 150,702
B1594D4A-426F-4CBD-97B5-B3BBEAF9AE3D.jpeg

This was one of my favorite exhibits. Not gonna lie, it took me 1.5 seconds until I got it… 🤪
The curators have sense of humor - I like it!

It's a fabulous place. They have Open Cockpit days regularly and you can go sit in (amongst others) an SR71.
That would be so cool! The SR71 is one of my all-time favorite aircraft. It looks like something out of a science-fiction movie even today.

May 30, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #93,837 of 150,702
I’m not sure I understand your question. Folkvangr is single-ended.

I obviously didn’t understand your question… 😬

Understand… what the heck has the act of standing below something to do with getting it? English is weird sometimes… 🤓
If the aforementioned “something” happens to fall on you, I guarantee you’ll understand. And knowing you, you’ll understand in at least two languages!

May 30, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #93,838 of 150,702
Yes, right now pi to bf2 via USB, then xlr to loki max (and phono pre to loki max via rca), and currently rca to integrated and xlr to jotunheim 2.

Most rca splitters I've looked at have reviewers claiming sound degradation or coloration, so I'm guessing custom cable might be preferable, and recommendations for where to get one of those? Something like this? https://amp.apos.audio/products/zy-...TGESwaO1R_mtRlLrdFp7Yd4fReDMuguoaAlUXEALw_wcB

Is a custom cable better idea than adapters? Thanks

what RCA SE interconnects are you using currently? instead of having a custom cable made from scratch, find a local tech / someone who solders well, and modify a pair of your existing RCA interconnects by changing one end (source end if a 'directional' cable) to an XLR 3-pin female connector (e.g. Neutrik NC3FXX-B, NC3FX-B). Make sure to leave pin 3 un-connected (do not ground it), and replicate the connection scheme of the original 'source end' rca connector if more than one center conductor + one shield.

(added)
switch box (or reversed Sys with volume maxxed out) pros & cons: pro isolates input impedance (possibly non-linear when unpowered) of unused amplifier from the rest of the system, con requires an additional set of interconnects.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #93,839 of 150,702
what RCA SE interconnects are you using currently? instead of having a custom cable made from scratch, find a local tech / someone who solders well, and modify a pair of your existing RCA interconnects by changing one end (source end if a 'directional' cable) to an XLR 3-pin female connector (e.g. Neutrik NC3FXX-B, NC3FX-B). Make sure to leave pin 3 un-connected (do not ground it).
They are Wireworld Oasis 8's, and I do really like them so I'm intrigued by this idea, though the trick would be finding someone who can do it.

May 30, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #93,840 of 150,702
They are Wireworld Oasis 8's, and I do really like them so I'm intrigued by this idea, though the trick would be finding someone who can do it.
Oasis 8s aren't cheap... you sure you want to hack them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back