Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 4, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #90,558 of 155,069
I hate to say it, but I have to go Off Topic for a moment, and talk Schiit...!

My Bifrost MB OG hasn't been getting any playing time at home lately. So, I figured why not swap it for my work DAC, a Schiit Modius. The Modius has been my work DAC since it's release. It feeds a Lyr 2, into my Drop Hi Fi Man HE-400i's.

Well, the Bifrost so far, has been awesome. Greater detail, better leading and trailing edges of notes, much more spacious. To sound corny, I'm truly hearing things in familiar songs, that I haven't heard before. While the Bifrost is still warming up and settling down, it's been very impressive through headphones. It's not going back home at this point...! :)

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #90,559 of 155,069

Deserves the Grammy

Forgot how much I missed Los Lobos

I would like to request a day to be lengthened to (at a minimum) 36hrs

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #90,561 of 155,069
I admire some folks who took the time and expense to accumulate what can be amazing systems. What gets me is folks who talk of driving Lamborghini’s cause they saw one once but only drive Fords. Most people are realistic about what they can afford and Schiit offers a chance to join in and not just dream.😁

I used to hear from a lot of audiophiles in my work who only wanted to talk about owning an 80-200,000 dollar system. Instead of talking SQ they talked dollar amounts. I was more apt to think about getting my kids through college and helping to provide for their futures, priorities.
I think for many, when the price tag gets to that level, sound quality is a given.

I've always been curious about Avante Garde, but the price of admission has always been too high.

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #90,562 of 155,069
I have a photo of the remains of a cat and a rat that got into some 13.8kV switchgear. I use it when doing electrical safety training (NFPA 70E) at the day job. The rat made it safely under the lower busbar. The cat didn't. The rat was killed by the resulting arc flash.

Somewhere out of frame, there's a big dog snickering over the demise of the cat. Too many Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry cartoons as a kid.
One of the coolest things I ever saw was in college. It was after dark, we had been out and were returning to the dorm. There were two buildings, a 12-story and a 5-story, every window was lit up. There was a flash from a transformer and every light in the two buildings went black simultaneously. The next day we heard that a squirrel had caused it, I have no idea if it was true. But the spectacle was great!

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #90,564 of 155,069
One of the coolest things I ever saw was in college. It was after dark, we had been out and were returning to the dorm. There were two buildings, a 12-story and a 5-story, every window was lit up. There was a flash from a transformer and every light in the two buildings went black simultaneously. The next day we heard that a squirrel had caused it, I have no idea if it was true. But the spectacle was great!
Every couple years, usually mid summer, we're greeted by a loud *BANG* and the lights in the house go out. A walk out to the pole where the transformer lives and we always find a dead squirrel on the ground below the pole. Eventually the power company arrives - we're at the end of the line - literally - so the power company is rarely in a hurry, replaces the fuse on the primary and we have lights again.

The bang from the squirrel finding the high voltage and clearing the fuse sounds like a 12 gauge shotgun at 50 feet. The pole is 150 feet from the house, so it's loud.

It's been a few years since the last suicide squirrel. We're due....

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #90,565 of 155,069

This is interesting, not that I want to invest a million dollars in audio. I tend to get busy with family when in the Virginia area but one day it would be great to hear this system as well if feasible. Mr. Cowen will be shocked to find wood other than maple in that video. :ksc75smile:

This one cannot be duplicated easily anyway since the speakers are custom, as is the room that houses them.

My dream system is a bit more down to earth and should be fine for me. A few friends will have better systems no doubt but I am reminded of a line from Le Petit Prince.

“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”

Hrmph. I'm pretty sure the Shun Mook bits alone would come to more than I paid for my condo...

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #90,566 of 155,069
I've always been curious about Avante Garde, but the price of admission has always been too high.
They're an acquired taste, IMO. But vastly better than red coleslaw. :laughing:

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #90,567 of 155,069
Every couple years, usually mid summer, we're greeted by a loud *BANG* and the lights in the house go out. A walk out to the pole where the transformer lives and we always find a dead squirrel on the ground below the pole. Eventually the power company arrives - we're at the end of the line - literally - so the power company is rarely in a hurry, replaces the fuse on the primary and we have lights again.

The bang from the squirrel finding the high voltage and clearing the fuse sounds like a 12 gauge shotgun at 50 feet. The pole is 150 feet from the house, so it's loud.

It's been a few years since the last suicide squirrel. We're due....

squirrel-huh.gif

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #90,568 of 155,069
It's amazing how much the room matters in having a good 2 channel or home theater system. I never really believed it until I heard $1000 worth of equipment in a properly setup room that totally blew me away. After that I added similar treatments to my room and holy crap what a difference it made!

I usually just wrap Finnegan in sorbothane and have him run around the room absorbing any discordant sound.😜

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #90,569 of 155,069
Thanks, AP - I am glad that I chose black - I'm replacing a pair of black Vidars running as monoblocks, and the Tyrs will go into the same rack spaces. It'll look like I Miracle-Gro'ed the Vidars. And, I saved the $200 upcharge. :) I have enough room in the two side racks to raise the shelves above the amps an inch / an inch-and-a-half for better heat dissipation; one more time that I'm glad I chose the Salamander racks with the threaded rod posts.

My Yggy OG A2 is silver, and I think I chose it because black was on backorder at the time... but I'm fine with it, because Yggy just looks great in silver.

When URD is available, I'll get one in black, and it will replace my (ancient) silver Musical Fidelity A308CD that I'm using as a disc transport. Might move things around a bit to put the remaining silver components in the middle of the rack, but... wow, sometimes I even scare myself when I consider this kind of schiit.

Now comes the interminable wait... 5-7 days + 2-3 shipping... just want to hear them NOW. I thought about driving down to the Schiitr to pick them up, but it didn't make sense from a time (or a carbon footprint) perspective. Coulda done it, but 740 miles round-trip on the lovely I-5... yeesh. Couldn't abide.

I want a Jotti R too, man, but I need the Raals first. $$$
Good excuse for a relaxing train ride and an edible. If you're like me you'd probably end up buying more schiit at the schiittr though. ☺️

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #90,570 of 155,069
I usually just wrap Finnegan in sorbothane and have him run around the room absorbing any discordant sound.😜
So it's not enough to torture your own ears, you gotta torture the cat too? Criminy. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back