Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 2, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #90,451 of 150,609
I'm sorry but this is technically incorrect. Higher strand count = more flexibility, but ampacity is determined by the temperature rise in the wire as current increases, with solid-core wire having the highest ampacity for any given size.
I have edited my post - Thank-you for letting me know my error.

Apr 2, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #90,452 of 150,609
I'm sorry but this is technically incorrect. Higher strand count = more flexibility, but ampacity is determined by the temperature rise in the wire as current increases, with solid-core wire having the highest ampacity for any given size.
Question... in my experience solid core speaker wire has sounded like ass, why is this so?

Apr 2, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #90,453 of 150,609
Question... in my experience solid core speaker wire has sounded like ass, why is this so?
"Sound" and ampacity are two very different things. But the honest answer to your question is because you heard it that way. :)

-edit- you may or may not be familiar with the famous "coat hanger test." Here is a write up of one: https://www.soundguys.com/cable-myths-reviving-the-coathanger-test-23553/

Since experiencing audio requires human perception, it is a subjective interpretation of objective electrical signals. The subjectivity is one reason for people "liking" one thing over another similar thing, and is why we must always trust our ears. If you think something "sounds like ass" then for you that is true and you should avoid it. Just don't assume anyone else will have the same experience.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #90,455 of 150,609
About a year ago, I decided to replace the speaker cables I was using at the time because their connectors split to only about four inches apart, and only did so under a little bit of strain. With mono Aegirs and Vidars, that wasn't exactly ideal. Not strained enough to have me worried about the cable or the binding posts, but still enough to bother me.
Exactly what I encountered when going from the Carver TFM-35s to the Vidars, and the reason that I also bought new speaker cables.

p.s. it's gonna be worse with the Tyrs; from the photos it looks closer to 6" center-to-center between the binding posts...

Up to that unexpected "happy little accident", I didn't really believe that cables would (or even could) make such a huge difference. But since then, at least when it comes to speaker cables, I'm a believer.
Hear, hear (pun not intended). I went from a set of home-brewed Canare 4S11-based cables to a set of professionally assembled bi-wires of the same material, with locking bananas. The difference in bass definition was so audible that I actually switched back to the old cables to see if I was dreaming. I was not. Speaks to my meager soldering skills, or maybe the better bananas? Or maybe the switch from mono- to bi-wire? Dunno. don't care - this small investment was a keeper!

Agree with @Paladin79 - it's about quality in materials, design and assembly, and once you meet those criteria, additional spend is simply markup.

The other thing I've never had the chance to try myself, and would love to give a shot at some point, is to play around with a number of different power cables. I think that a higher-quality cable might actually make sense specifically for power amps, and I hear that you get some interesting results if you use a cable that has conductors that are both, stranded and solid core.
YMMV, but I recently replaced my upgraded power cables (made from "Quite Simply the Best Copper on the Planet") with similarly priced power cables from a company in the Midwest that uses some very unique conductor geometry. Hard to say if they made a palpable difference; but I do believe that my original upgrades were already satisfying the materials / design / assembly inflection point... the new cables look sexy as Schiit, though.

Again, the law of diminishing returns strikes. If I'd skipped the second upgrade on the power cables, I could have bought one Bitcoin (at the time) and multiplied that cable investment by 44x... yeah. Oh, well... easy come, easy go... that's me.

I've tested a handful of power conditioners, but they do jack-schiit for me, to be honest.
I have also looked into PS Audio's PowerPlants, but for what my gear can potentially draw I would need to get a single 20 or two 12s, but those are priced a tad steep for my taste.
I added a Furman IT-Reference 20i to my system two and a half years ago. It delivered the biggest improvement of any upgrade I've ever made. You often hear about true power supplies (not conditioners) providing "blacker backgrounds" - I promise you, they do. The Furman provides symmetric power (-60/0/60v); I'm not a EE but I think I understand the reasoning. It weighs about 100 lbs and most of that is a huge toroidal transformer - built like the proverbial Schiit-house. It was a fairly pricy investment, but one that I'm glad I made... I know that you can't fix bad power, but you can at least smooth out the delivery... :) Again, YMMV.

Have a super weekend, everybody. /ds

Apr 2, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #90,456 of 150,609
1648924896180.png

They also make Valhalla wire

Apr 2, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #90,457 of 150,609
Apr 2, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #90,458 of 150,609
My wife would have me split that amount into two - $299.99 for me; $9,000 for her

Apr 2, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #90,460 of 150,609
Apr 2, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #90,461 of 150,609
Apr 2, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #90,462 of 150,609
I'd start here: Ulfberht and add upgrades.
Sadly my house is too small. So's my wallet. But a girl can dream, can't she?
I keep thinking Sonus Faber but I could not find a $10k match lol. I counted 14 speakers in my downstairs the other day so I really need to sell some to make room.

Apr 2, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #90,463 of 150,609
If arrays float your boat then I'm sure either of those would do the trick. Me, I prefer omnidirectional systems and if we're talking needing a new house to listen to them (and cost no object) I'll go for MBL 101 X-tremes with all MBL electronics driving them. By far the finest sound I have ever experienced from a home-audio system.

Apr 2, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #90,465 of 150,609

Users who are viewing this thread

Back