Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 12, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #86,012 of 153,428
Me too.

Dec 12, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #86,013 of 153,428
JBL speakers, you're bringing back memories! In the late 80's I had a pair of JBL 4412 (original version) studio monitors driven by a Urie 6300 power amplifier that I'd modified a bit and a DIY tube line stage. Glorious sound for the time - great imaging, but the lower bass could be a little wooly at times. I've always had a soft spot for studio monitors, done well they're ruthlessly revealing, if the mix/mastering is hot or sizzle-y they'll tear your ears a new opening. WGIIWCO (What Goes In Is What Comes Out). Sadly our small house has no space for such gear. Someday in the near future I'll have a new electronics workshop space with an appropriate sound system. In the mean time, good headphones are a great substitute.

Dec 12, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #86,015 of 153,428
I had my first stereo at age 13 or 14 and I still work to get back to that tube sound of Dynaco and the like with efficient speakers. It is not for everyone but to this day I am happy with that sound. I can totally understand feeling the same about movies in theaters.
I think the same may be true for lps where I just have a preference for the format and the sound. Or maybe the reminder that say's PLAY LOUD on the label?

Dec 12, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #86,016 of 153,428
Some psychologists say we develop our baseline for taste in music, movies, clothing, etc. by about age 14 so you may be on to something.

Of course it is not a universal truth since many of us remain fluid and never really lock down a taste threshold, but teen taste becoming the baseline seems to be a tendency.
My senior programmer has, of all things, an MFA in experimental film. Do NOT get him started on 24fps vs, well, anything else. but hey, we are both over 60, and one ot two prejudices might (repeat, might) exist…

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #86,017 of 153,428
My first rig, 1971 or thereabouts, included ADC 303ax speakers and an AR (Acoustic Research) amp. Don't recall the turntable...might have been a "manual" Garrard. No tuner, no tape. Pretty nice sound for the time, and good value for price.
I can remember the days of reel to reels, laser disks, even stereo high-fi VCR's that helped with the sound of movies. Remember Sansui speakers that had the wooden lattice fronts on them? I won a set of those, a Thorens turntable, and a Dokorter reel to reel in a poker game. The Dokorter looked like this but I do not recall if it was the same model.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2652716181...9Thy9S4oCHwr1Hd3ZU_inaAv7qmx_RmIaAu4cEALw_wcB

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #86,018 of 153,428
I can remember the days of reel to reels, laser disks, even stereo high-fi VCR's that helped with the sound of movies. Remember Sansui speakers that had the wooden lattice fronts on them? I won a set of those, a Thorens turntable, and a Dokorter reel to reel in a poker game. The Dokorter looked like this but I do not recall if it was the same model.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2652716181...9Thy9S4oCHwr1Hd3ZU_inaAv7qmx_RmIaAu4cEALw_wcB
Laser disc Star Wars "a New Hope"... solo shot first....

My brother and I recorded all of Live Aid on a Sony Beta HiFi... later, I recorded jam sessions on a Sony VHS HiFi...

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #86,019 of 153,428
And, because we love you/I am insane, here's a peek at Lokiest (whatever we call it, it won't be that. At least I don't think so.)

No, we won't use those knobs. They will be proper machined knobs.

And yeah, those are relay potentiometers (very different than a relay ladder attenuator) and custom 80% nickel-core inductors.

@Jason Stoddard less than a year from sneak peek to production/shipping :ksc75smile:. And your v0.95 proto seems to be missing a few relays (input switching???) too. :ksc75smile:

Seriously, though, glad that Loki Max made it to production with continuing electronic component and metals shortages / shipping delays / general uncertainty. Will make a very nice Merry-Christmas-To-Me gift for some lucky individuals and those extremely lucky individuals with spouses that get high-quality audio (and don't mind having speakers placed for optimum sound quality).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #86,020 of 153,428
Some psychologists say we develop our baseline for taste in music, movies, clothing, etc. by about age 14 so you may be on to something.

Of course it is not a universal truth since many of us remain fluid and never really lock down a taste threshold, but teen taste becoming the baseline seems to be a tendency.

At 14 I almost exclusively listened to Eminem and Marilyn Manson. I hope my tastes have evolved a bit from that.

At 15 I had my mind thoroughly blown by watching Pulp Fiction and Fight Club.

Never had any taste in clothing.

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #86,022 of 153,428
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #86,024 of 153,428
Laser disc Star Wars "a New Hope"... solo shot first....

My brother and I recorded all of Live Aid on a Sony Beta HiFi... later, I recorded jam sessions on a Sony VHS HiFi...
I was a big fan of Laser DIsc back in the day. I remember that there were two kinds of discs: CLV and CAV. CAV had slow-motion and still frame capability but shorter play time per side. I had the big Star Wars box in CAV format.

I also had a Sony VHS Hifi recorder that had a very nifty jog/shuttle wheel that let you do frame advance, slow-mo and fast forward using the knob and wheel. That's a very handy feature that I miss from today's Blu-ray players.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #86,025 of 153,428
Basically this. It doesn't look like a movie.

I have a similar revulsion for high-frame-rate stuff, especially interpolated.

Here's the weird thingL do I hate OLEDs and high-frame-rate content because I was programmed by watching movies in the theater as a kid? If so, will today's gamers develop an opposite revulsion for low-frame-rate content and more muted colors? I mean, movies never actually did true black, and 24FPS has clear motion issues—these are both defects. Do I like what I like due to the defects that I came to equate with "cinema?" Very, very possible. That's why I say I may be crazy.
I don't think so....

Charlie Chaplin is probably the most responsible for a 3x4 aspect ratio, but more importantly, he found that 24fps produced the most natural motion blur, even though, at the time higher film frame rates were achievable. Steven Spielberg purposely shot the Omaha Beach segment in Saving Private Ryan at a very high frame rate to deliberately "stress" us.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back