Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 20, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #84,586 of 150,613
I can't remember if I previously posted that we actually built a cardboard pre-amp using 26 tubes, 2 banks of 'D' cell batteries, our unique RWS™ and SBT™ construction technologies along with our latest innovation, our AFBPT™ noise limiting circuit topology.

It was glorious and prompted us to take that design to the next level, by considering using triple wall cardboard instead of using measly single wall cardboard.

RWS™ (Random Wiring Scheme)
SBT™ (Solder Blob Technology)
AFBPT™ (Aluminimum Foil Back Plane Technology)

CBB-26 ready to go.jpg

JJ :ksc75smile:
Are those real Arcturus BluBalz? 😳

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #84,587 of 150,613
No I believe we originally used Westinghouse 'coke bottle' tubes, then the Cunningham's 'tapered tube' for the final build and SQ check.

But my Purp-Amp uses Arcturus Blue S-14 "Straight-Sloped Sided" 71A's.

JJ

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #84,588 of 150,613
No I believe we originally used Westinghouse tubes, then the Cunningham's 'tapered tube' for the final build and SQ check.

But my Purp-Amp uses Arcturus Blue S-14 "Straight-Sloped Sided" 71A's.

JJ
Impressive. I'd definitely go with ribbed cardboard, then. For *her* pleasure.

Nov 20, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #84,589 of 150,613
So that would be for more of those ooohhs and aaahhhhs while listening to HD800's I take it???

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #84,590 of 150,613
Impressive. I'd definitely go with ribbed cardboard, then. For *her* pleasure.
LOL! That, and stay away from USPS boxes....they're always disgruntled.

You guys shouldn't be giving @Paladin79 any more ideas, or my next amp will likely be housed in a Depends box or something. :laughing:

Nov 20, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #84,591 of 150,613
Nov 20, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #84,592 of 150,613
You guys shouldn't be giving @Paladin79 any more ideas, or my next amp will likely be housed in a Depends box or something. :laughing:

Sometimes you just gotta go with whatever material you have on hand.

:beerchug:
JC

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #84,593 of 150,613
I can imagine someone reading this thread for the first time and scratching their head in befuddlement. Cardboard amps?

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #84,595 of 150,613
My son received his Modius and the necessary cables to hook it up to the S.M.S.L. SP200. He really likes it but until he gets balanced 'phones there will be no, as he put it, "eargasm".

He has the Drop/Sennheiser Jubilee 58XX and asked if I would inquire of you folks what cabling he needs to make them "balanced" for this DAC/Amp combination.

I thought it looked great and sounded like ELP (!) to me. *HUMOR ALERT* *HUMOR ALERT* - Whilst I am a wickedly evil and totally self-serving, capitalist toad of a Conservative, I reeeeeeeeeally like what came to be known as "Progressive Rock* and Emerson, Lake and Palmer are among my favourite groups in or out of the genre. :beerchug:

So then lads (and the loverly and most talented, Lady AudioGal!),. any suggestions for affordable but cool looking cables for the Senns of my Son. I know...I should've added a "play on words" alert there!

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #84,597 of 150,613
My son received his Modius and the necessary cables to hook it up to the S.M.S.L. SP200. He really likes it but until he gets balanced 'phones there will be no, as he put it, "eargasm".

He has the Drop/Sennheiser Jubilee 58XX and asked if I would inquire of you folks what cabling he needs to make them "balanced" for this DAC/Amp combination.

I thought it looked great and sounded like ELP (!) to me. *HUMOR ALERT* *HUMOR ALERT* - Whilst I am a wickedly evil and totally self-serving, capitalist toad of a Conservative, I reeeeeeeeeally like what came to be known as "Progressive Rock* and Emerson, Lake and Palmer are among my favourite groups in or out of the genre. :beerchug:

So then lads (and the loverly and most talented, Lady AudioGal!),. any suggestions for affordable but cool looking cables for the Senns of my Son. I know...I should've added a "play on words" alert there!

Maybe later I can look up the 58XX's and PM you, if they are single entry each channel shares a common ground.

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #84,598 of 150,613
Maybe later I can look up the 58XX's and PM you, if they are single entry each channel shares a common ground.
I think they are the regular (SE?) type but don't they have replaceable cabling? I would have to look at them but I think they do. Is not the cable the key to this balancing act?

I do not think I could hear Schiit for difference but he seems to think, not feel, that it would prove to be demonstrably better. To get me going on it he said it would look cooler too.:ksc75smile: Thanks!

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #84,599 of 150,613
I think they are the regular (SE?) type but don't they have replaceable cabling? I would have to look at them but I think they do. Is not the cable the key to this balancing act?

I do not think I could hear Schiit for difference but he seems to think, not feel, that it would prove to be demonstrably better. To get me going on it he said it would look cooler too.:ksc75smile: Thanks!

I corrected my response after checking out the headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back