Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #84,091 of 150,704
iPhones can be tracked if you enabled Find my IPhone. You just need to log into your iCloud account from a computer.
I am not very technically oriented and so I do not have an iCloud account. I know it sounds silly but I am not too keen on such things. Thank you for the help! My family has in the past encouraged me to do so but I am kinda scared of such things so much so that I still pay bills via check and in person when ever possible.

Thank you!

Nov 11, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #84,092 of 150,704
@Jason Stoddard .... So URD is not going to have an app to control it and will have simple buttons? I'd jokingly say SHAME, but seriously say THANK YOU.

I agree 100% hate having to use an app. My wife bought me a light bulb that had an app (seriously). Can do 147,000 colors. I set it to one, White. Haven't used the app in 2.5 years.
Do these things really exist???? Wow. I obviously haven't bought enough light bulbs lately. Not only is this absolutely useless (apart for people who have really absolutely nothing to do), it adds something to the end product that can fail.

Before this marvelous invention you bought an LED light bulb that lasts for say 40,000 hours (approx. 18 years at 6 hours per day).

But the fancy bulb controlled by an app.......
The app needs continued support from the bulb manufacturer (even if the app functionality doesn't change, it needs to follow iOS/Android updates). Not a real issue if the bulb manufacturer is Osram or Philips or so. But in case of a shady/unknown manufacturer...it may not exist anymore after a few years. And what then of course will happen is that the app crashes just after you have changed the color of one of the two bulbs that share the same fixture. No way you can change the color back to what it was. No app update available. Result: you throw away both bulbs after 2 years, 3 years (whatever it is). Nothing near the life span of the bulb without fancy app.

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #84,093 of 150,704
If car companies hadn't gone off the deep end for tech, would they still be able to ship cars now?

I mean, yeah, maybe 4G+wifi/streaming/touchscreens/selfdriving/keyapps are new and shiny, but I'd personally rather have a car. And I'm pretty sure the car companies would rather have the lots full.
I read somewhere that BMW is replacing (on at least one model) the touch screen for a traditional screen because they can't get the chips the touch screen need.

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #84,094 of 150,704
Do these things really exist???? Wow. I obviously haven't bought enough light bulbs lately. Not only is this absolutely useless (apart for people who have really absolutely nothing to do), it adds something to the end product that can fail.

Before this marvelous invention you bought an LED light bulb that lasts for say 40,000 hours (approx. 18 years at 6 hours per day).

But the fancy bulb controlled by an app.......
The app needs continued support from the bulb manufacturer (even if the app functionality doesn't change, it needs to follow iOS/Android updates). Not a real issue if the bulb manufacturer is Osram or Philips or so. But in case of a shady/unknown manufacturer...it may not exist anymore after a few years. And what then of course will happen is that the app crashes just after you have changed the color of one of the two bulbs that share the same fixture. No way you can change the color back to what it was. No app update available. Result: you throw away both bulbs after 2 years, 3 years (whatever it is). Nothing near the life span of the bulb without fancy app.
Meanwhile, the TP-LINK LB120 I bought almost exactly five years ago continues to work just fine, be it via the app, Alexa, or a Flic smart button attached to my night stand. I don't remember the last time I adjusted the color temperature to what I consider cozy, but adjusting the brightness can be done through Alexa as well. It does require the Kasa servers to remain operational, of course, but TP-LINK doesn't appear go be on the verge of bankruptcy.
This bulb is in my bedroom, allowing me to turn the light on or off while warm and comfortable under my blanket.

Is this an unnecessary luxury? For sure. But so is running warm water. My grandparents had to use an oven to take a warm bath. They probably had to get up to switch to the other TV channel as well.

Does it work 100% of the time? No, and that's a bit annoying, but it works well enough often enough so that I would replace the bulb with the same one if it broke.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #84,095 of 150,704
Think Schiit is doing great! Many different options. From only 99$ and up
No apps, no streamers. who needs that? everyone have a pc or a tablet/phone today.

only miss one thing. DAC cards that is easy to change home for everyone. should be simply as change SDD in a laptop.
And hope the new Cards is 2V output now

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #84,097 of 150,704
You do know I'm an IT guy, right? Of course touch sensitivity is enabled. Just a crappy glass protector combined with a crappy typer. I won't say which contributes more greatly to my condition. 😛
An adverb cannot be used as a direct object

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #84,098 of 150,704
I had to give my Ipad away because it ignored most of my touching. Kind of like my wife...:thinking:

Did you keep the wife...? :thinking:
I don't know if it is because I climb on rocks all the time and my tips are worn and calloused or what but it was completely clueless that I was even trying to touch it.

Again, just like your wife...! :ring:

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #84,099 of 150,704
The move towards touchscreens for everything is a major reason why I'm losing interest in all new cars. There's just nothing that I desire among the new cars available. Give me clear, analog instruments and physical buttons with a good, solid feel and a satisfying 'click'.
Yep, I agree 100%, that's why I prefer the feel and sound of a toggle over even a button and the readout on analog dials. I rarely use my cell phone but I use one of those stylus devices with the rubber nub on top not just because I don't like the feel of swiping but with my large fingers it's difficult to hit one character at a time. Even on my laptop I don't use the finger pads, it just doesn't feel right to my finger tips. I always go with a trackball mouse, its just so ergonomically satisfying for my hand / thumb and I find it a lot faster and more accurate.

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #84,100 of 150,704
George Jetson's flying car. Note the analog gauges.
1636627588720.png

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #84,102 of 150,704
I can't wait for URD's release, CD's are my only source, I have no plans to waist time or money on any other source platform.
….I’m skeptical of the product. :triportsad: I do agree with you though - CD spinning provides fantastic sound. I would only buy an URD if there’s all kinds of modularity to it. With some kind of significant pitch control. Several (not just 2) input USB-ports. Ideally, I’d like a few USB-outputs. I want, no, need a Saga-like preamp/switcher. Yes, Iknow… get several Raspberry Pi and string them up in parallel. I’d like Schiit to properly assemble it as a audio hub.

Unless I’m fundamentally misunderstanding Schiit’s long term planning, they were clear about not getting into computers (and in my head, that includes UI software). I’m sad to realize that other than buying a speaker amp, my Schiit kit is done.

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #84,103 of 150,704
And then, after they tell you what they think they want, they go buy a new Bronco because it's "cool."

Sorry to sound combative, I've just seen many, many, many people go to a car dealer to buy an SUV or minivan...and come home with a convertible Mustang. Maybe my friends drink too much. Or maybe if something is super compelling, people will fit their lives to it. It's easy to forget the original Mustang outsold the Camry, the poster child for volume sales in the 2000s-2010s...and that's in a much smaller overall car market.
I miss the 1980-90’s sized Ford Ranger pickup. Tiny…

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #84,104 of 150,704
Nov 11, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #84,105 of 150,704
That is simply gorgeous (Cynthia agrees)
The one that heads your way may be around 15 lbs, sorry for the shipping cost you will incur. Hopefully the experience will be worth it. I prefer a heavy platform to cut down on vibration, of course the tubes I send should not be microphonic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back