Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 19, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #83,056 of 150,791
It's hard to keep up with this fast growing thread. I'm wondering if you have already discussed Amir's review on the Lokius.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-lokius-review-equalizer.27334/

index.php
While I usually totally ignore ASR's reviews/data, the very broad frequency response knob map seems like a good use of his measurements.

The broad impact of each knob would also explain why I really struggled to use the Lokius to 'fix' the hole in the mids of the HD8XX I despised. And why I always turn down knob 2 a bit when I turn up knob 1 (I really just want sub-bass).

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #83,057 of 150,791
I saw his list of the best DAC's and that was enough for me, I have not been back since. My local group did a listen on twenty very good units and our results were, um, very different. :ksc75smile:
This would be expected because actually listening to what he's testing doesn't seem very relevant to Amir.

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #83,060 of 150,791
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #83,061 of 150,791
I saw his list of the best DAC's and that was enough for me, I have not been back since. My local group did a listen on twenty very good units and our results were, um, very different. :ksc75smile:

I was researching a DAC and found a thread. Guy had a $1300 DAC and asked for amp pairing recommendations. Amir suggested a $99 JDS Atom. I realized then the guy was on another wavelength.

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #83,062 of 150,791
Hey guys so I'm trying to tear down my Valhalla but noticed that all the screws that aren't in the perimeter just spin in place. What gives? How do I crack this thing open?

PXL_20211019_174131568.jpg

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #83,063 of 150,791
@Jason Stoddard any behind the scenes peeks at what Tyr may look like?

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #83,066 of 150,791
Hey guys so I'm trying to tear down my Valhalla but noticed that all the screws that aren't in the perimeter just spin in place. What gives? How do I crack this thing open?

loosening the non perimeter screws is bad juju. note that with tube amps, there may be hazardous DC voltages STILL present even with the unit powered down and unplugged. unit should be allowed to cool, and the tubes need to be removed. for what purpose are you looking to remove the cover(s)? if it needs servicing (other than a tube swap / replacement), I recommend contacting Schiit...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #83,067 of 150,791

If it is like some of the other gear that size the top slides to the front, sometimes you need to use a thin piece of wood or metal to nudge it forward. It then lifts off. Naturally it is a given that you have no power applied, or tubes or knobs in the way, and kinda sorta know what you are doing.

Note I am telling you how it might work, and not that you should do it. :ksc75smile:

CBDE3F0D-6C66-4B28-9715-BBB22BF46C28.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #83,068 of 150,791
loosening the non perimeter screws is bad juju. note that with tube amps, there may be hazardous DC voltages present even with the unit powered down and unplugged. unit should be allowed to cool, and the tubes need to be removed. for what purpose are you looking to remove the cover(s)?

well it won't open without removing the screws from the chasis, ya know? guy on youtube undid them all to remove, but even the 1 perimeter one in the pic wont adjust, just spins

and yeah, the unit was cooled and tubes removed, its upside down, if the tubes were in they'd be mashed :wink:

trying to remove the cover to replace a part some of us were discussing in another thread

If it is like some of the other gear that size the top slides to the front, sometimes you need to use a thin piece of wood or metal to nudge it forward. It then lifts off. Naturally it is a given that you have no power applied, or tubes or knobs in the way, and kinda sorta know what you are doing.

Note I am telling you how it might work, and not that you should do it. :ksc75smile:

yeah I get that, just need to get the screws out of the risers so i can try to slide it off

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #83,069 of 150,791
well it won't open without removing the screws from the chasis, ya know? guy on youtube undid them all to remove, but even the 1 perimeter one in the pic wont adjust, just spins

and yeah, the unit was cooled and tubes removed, its upside down, if the tubes were in they'd be mashed :wink:

trying to remove the cover to replace a part some of us were discussing in another thread

yeah I get that, just need to get the screws out of the risers so i can try to slide it off
Um, those screws you are trying to remove need not come out or be loosened. I best bow out of this conversation. :beerchug:

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #83,070 of 150,791
Um, those screws you are trying to remove need not come out or be loosened. I best bow out of this conversation. :beerchug:

If the screws are in the board risers I'm not sure how this could possibly slide off otherwise

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 2.53.17 PM.png

(youtube guide)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back