Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #81,768 of 150,705
Thereā€™s a lot going on here, which I will try to over-simplify:

ā€¦..{{{snip}}}ā€¦

Youā€™re done! You donā€™t have the convenience problem and it sounds good to you. Time to put those $1,299.00 + tax in your favorite index fund as you listen to Pink Floydā€™s Money.

Iā€™m dead serious. If you like what you have, youā€™re done. Nobody has produced the perfect system. If someone had, weā€™d all be saving up to buy it and the entire field would be done.
Ah, if only it were that easy for me. Iā€™m a gear head. You make sense, @rfernand . Sometmes I catch myself listening to the tech, rather than the music (As illogical as that sounds). Iā€™ll tweak my kit just to see what happens. I had a company send me a weird little board to try out. I spent hours getting ā€all OCDā€ā€¦ trying different combinations & documenting my results. It was glorious!

As long as thereā€™s no magic-blue-smoke billowing out of the air grills, Iā€˜m happy.

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #81,769 of 150,705
Sep 10, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #81,770 of 150,705
I would be very surprised if it was anything other than a CD transport + USB input and switch. I highly doubt you will be able to rip CDs with it. I really don't think it will be modular anything. It will not contain the gadget. It will not contain a Pi.

It will however, play CDs to the best of Schiit's ability to build, and still let you use your existing USB digital source with the vast majority of DAC that only have one USB input. That is its design brief and use case.
Meh šŸ˜‘ Weā€™ll see. You make a good point, @valiant66 .

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #81,771 of 150,705
Hmmmmm... So my use of Ted Nugent's 'Cat Scratch Fever' on a continuous loop while randomly administering electrical shocks to participants when guessing may have rendered my last 'Double Blind' listening test irrelevant? :thinking:
What makes you think that? sounds reasonable to me. I mean I might have chosen ABBA's 'Dancing Queen", which I believe is of higher fidelity, but it all boils down to personal preference.:L3000:

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #81,773 of 150,705
What makes you think that? sounds reasonable to me. I mean I might have chosen ABBA's 'Dancing Queen", which I believe is of higher fidelity, but it all boils down to personal preference.:L3000:
It seems that you also take no offense with the occasional unexpected electrical shock. Don't look now, but your '50 Shades of Gray' is showing. :smirk:

Sep 10, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #81,777 of 150,705
We can have the covi-pass. We can have freedom. Can't have both.
'Covi-pass' and 'Freedom'. Odd name for a pair of DACs. Are they Multibit?? :thinking:

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #81,780 of 150,705
Interesting points. If the TI chips are less expensive than the Analog Devices chips, why would Schiit not move the entire product line of less expensive multibit DACs to TI?

They seem to be on brand here. I canā€™t read minds, but my guess is OG sounds so good (and was Mikeā€™s ā€œI want to make thisā€ baby) that the bar to retire that design would be emotionally high. I like the idea of having options to choose from. I can imagine LIM performing better with bubblegum pop and EDM, for example.

Maybe a multibit Gugnir could be had for $999?

Gungnir flavorsā€¦ now thatā€™s a thought :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back