Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 28, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #81,091 of 151,279
WARNING! CABLE COMMENT FOLLOWS!! PREPARE YOUR HIGH-END CABLE RELIGION SHIELDS FOR IMPACT!

Back when I was working in the audio testing and certification industry I had many opportunities to test and evaluate high-end cables from nearly every manufacturer including many of the mega-dollar per foot name brands. I was never able to measure nor hear any significant "improvements" from any of these cables over that provided by the lab-standard cables we made ourselves from reels of bulk Belden and Carol cable, using basic bulk connectors (usually not even gold-plated!) No matter the signal path or what was used to get input to output (even routing through patch bays and (egad) ICs running in parallel with power cables) as long as signal out = signal in, with acceptable losses, it was all the same. Indeed I was surprised when some of the mega-dollar cables we tested actually degraded the signal in significant ways, such as severe attenuation or even adding phase distortion due to cable impedance.

So here I am at least 30 years distant from that work experience and I was given a set of multi-thousand-dollar XLR interconnects made by a high-end manufacturer and touting exotic gold-plated silver coax conductors and exotic monocrystalline polymer insulation, with rhodium-plated phosphor-bronze connectors and mysterious ferrite filters encased in plastic. These promised to bring out the "magic" in the sound - and were sent to me from a friend who is a high-end audio dealer in the New York City area with a note reading, in effect, "Try these, you damn cable skeptic." So I did.

I inserted them between by Yggdrasil and my AudioValve Solaris amplifier. I let the amp warm up then put on my Voce electrostatic headphones and fired up some Van Morison. I expected magic. I got none. I could hear no difference between these ICs and the sub-$100 set made from basic copper I had been using before. Maybe it's my near-70 year-old ears, maybe it's my bias, maybe I used the "wrong music", maybe it's the phase of the moon. But there was no big "wow" moment. Not even a little "wow." It was a complete and solid "meh."

I share this story not because I'm trying to stir Schiit on this forum, but because hopefully it might help someone else realize that there are more important parts of the audio chain to spend your money on than cables. Like transducers, amps, and DACs. But like I always say, "Dowhatchulike" and if you want it go for it. Just don't expect to be blown away by veils being lifted and unicorns appearing from the ether. Just enjoy the music.
While I cannot name names, I know of many high end companies who are very happy with Belden, Carol, and Mogami. I have come across one person who can consistently pick between copper, silver plated copper, litz wire, etc. and none who could tell a difference between connector materials.
I am in agreement with what you said and I do have older ears as well. Much of the testing I am involved with I leave to younger or more experienced ears. :ksc75smile:

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #81,092 of 151,279
By the way, since at least two of you have already PM'd me asking, "If you don't like those high-end cables send them to me!" let me end my earlier story by saying my high-end dealer friend hoped I would be so blown away I would buy them from him. As the dealer price on these is not insignificant, I am putting them into a Priority mail box and returning to him later today. Sorry!

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #81,093 of 151,279
WARNING! CABLE COMMENT FOLLOWS!! PREPARE YOUR HIGH-END CABLE RELIGION SHIELDS FOR IMPACT!

Back when I was working in the audio testing and certification industry I had many opportunities to test and evaluate high-end cables from nearly every manufacturer including many of the mega-dollar per foot name brands. I was never able to measure nor hear any significant "improvements" from any of these cables over that provided by the lab-standard cables we made ourselves from reels of bulk Belden and Carol cable, using basic bulk connectors (usually not even gold-plated!) No matter the signal path or what was used to get input to output (even routing through patch bays and (egad) ICs running in parallel with power cables) as long as signal out = signal in, with acceptable losses, it was all the same. Indeed I was surprised when some of the mega-dollar cables we tested actually degraded the signal in significant ways, such as severe attenuation or even adding phase distortion due to cable impedance.

So here I am at least 30 years distant from that work experience and I was given a set of multi-thousand-dollar XLR interconnects made by a high-end manufacturer and touting exotic gold-plated silver coax conductors and exotic monocrystalline polymer insulation, with rhodium-plated phosphor-bronze connectors and mysterious ferrite filters encased in plastic. These promised to bring out the "magic" in the sound - and were sent to me from a friend who is a high-end audio dealer in the New York City area with a note reading, in effect, "Try these, you damn cable skeptic." So I did.

I inserted them between by Yggdrasil and my AudioValve Solaris amplifier. I let the amp warm up then put on my Voce electrostatic headphones and fired up some Van Morison. I expected magic. I got none. I could hear no difference between these ICs and the sub-$100 set made from basic copper I had been using before. Maybe it's my near-70 year-old ears, maybe it's my bias, maybe I used the "wrong music", maybe it's the phase of the moon. But there was no big "wow" moment. Not even a little "wow." It was a complete and solid "meh."

I share this story not because I'm trying to stir Schiit on this forum, but because hopefully it might help someone else realize that there are more important parts of the audio chain to spend your money on than cables. Like transducers, amps, and DACs. But like I always say, "Dowhatchulike" and if you want it go for it. Just don't expect to be blown away by veils being lifted and unicorns appearing from the ether. Just enjoy the music.
Great story! I am unable to hear any differences in cables myself, which saves me a lot of money that I can spend on other things that make life enjoyable. :)

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #81,094 of 151,279

And here I am using 10€ Oehlbach speaker cables with my ~3000€ speakers. I must be doing the whole audiophile thing wrong.

I will admit that I’m planning to upgrade the cables to a set of Blue Jeans Cable’s Canare speaker cables at some point.

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #81,095 of 151,279
And here I am using 10€ Oehlbach speaker cables with my ~3000€ speakers. I must be doing the whole audiophile thing wrong.

I will admit that I’m planning to upgrade the cables to a set of Blue Jeans Cable’s Canare speaker cables at some point.
My Blue Jeans are very well built, custom made to order and sound great. Got them within a week of order. Well worth it, IMO.

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #81,096 of 151,279

Yes, you are doing it all wrong @Zojokkeli :beyersmile:

Many years ago, when listening to some loudspeakers made by ATC ( who supply monitors to many recording studios and also to some well known professional musicians for their own personal use) I asked what balanced cables the company recommends between preamp and active speakers.

They said that they simply use low cost, but well made microphone cables, of the type found in any recording studio.

It seems that recording studios do not buy into the 'magic' of expensive, balanced 'audiophile' cables.

I have followed ATC's advice, on the basis that if these are good enough for top recording studios, they are certainly good enough for home audio.
My current cables, which are well made and have Neutrik connectors, cost about £20 each for 5 metre lengths.

In my experience, ATC have much in common with Schiit Audio; brilliantly engineered products at fair prices, honest, objective 'marketing' literature and no BS:relaxed:

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #81,098 of 151,279
Howdy Jason. I look forward to hearing the impressions of the new Yggys. A friend is participating in the double blind tests. As for Theta, I still have a functioning Theta Pro Basic, the last upgrade they did with the blue lights. I keep it to use when I send my Yggy in for upgrades. The Yggy smokes it. While I enjoy classic stuff, sometimes newer is better! Like my car. Be well and thanks for all you guys and gals do over at Schiit.

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #81,099 of 151,279
My favorite IC's are microphone cabling. Almost all my gear is connected with Mogami Neglex 2549 with Neutrik NF2C-B/2 RCA Pro Connectors or standard Nuetrik XLR's depending on application. The RCA's "design makes ground before signal contact & breaks signal before ground so no more disturbing noises & broken speaker cones" in the event I'm not paying attention when connecting stuff to what's "on" and "what's off". It's a rare occurrence but over the decades I've done it, as well as had a spectator or two get too actively involved with my cabling and their feet.

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #81,100 of 151,279
My favorite IC's are microphone cabling. Almost all my gear is connected with Mogami Neglex 2549 with Neutrik NF2C-B/2 RCA Pro Connectors or standard Nuetrik XLR's depending on application. The RCA's "design makes ground before signal contact & breaks signal before ground so no more disturbing noises & broken speaker cones" in the event I'm not paying attention when connecting stuff to what's "on" and "what's off". It's a rare occurrence but over the decades I've done it, as well as had a spectator or two get too actively involved with my cabling and their feet.
Very good choices IMHO.

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #81,101 of 151,279
Aug 28, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #81,102 of 151,279
I think that some consumers have a problem with Schiit's approach because you guys simply refuse to fit into a very specific box when it comes to extolling the virtues of your (new) products compared to most other manufacturers. In other words, you do not provide a comfortable reassurance to this type of consumer that they will be guaranteed a 25% improvement to their level of enjoyment from the latest iteration of their favourite product. Some people need a promise from a manufacturer that the new product is absolutely and utterly superior to the now suddenly old/obsolete/redundant piece of Schiit they have. They do not want to discover the potential improvements for themselves - they simply want to be told it's better.

Oh well, you can't please everyone.
I am definitely susceptible to that, though it's not as simple as being told that it's better (marketing) as it is being indicated that it as good as before or better through specifications, listening impressions, measurements, price and, yes, also marketing.

Basically, I really like the Yggdrasil Analog 2, it is still my favorite DAC, and I even prefer it over the Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE, which is more expensive. So if Schiit made a true Yggdrasil 2 (or Analog 3 or whatever you want to call it) that even Mike feels trumps his original (and upgraded) creation, the best DAC he knows how to make, that has better specs, a similar or higher price... I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Because I wouldn't expect to like it less - though I could get disappointed.
Better how? Well, audio is funny in that you don't know what you're missing until you heard it, so: surprise me.

With the two new options that were announced, it's tricky. Objectively, they seem like steps down. For one, they are cheaper. Now that one doesn't mean much to me in the case of Schiit, since they follow a simple cost + standard margin = price approach, which is why their prices don't conveniently fall on the end of their respective price brackets. I like that, and it's very possible that a cheaper part from a different manufacturer performs better in some way, allowing for a better product that is cheaper. Or maybe it requires fewer parts to get to behave. So let's ignore the price here.

But then there's the bits part. 16 bit chips? Objectively less capable than the OG with 20 bit chips. Well, for > 16-bit audio. I always try to look for components that can handle 24/192, for one it has become a sort of standard for high end audio and I do have some 24/192 material.
But Yggdrasil OG already doesn't really "naturally" resolve all 24 bits anyway, so that would be a clear area for improvement - from an objective point. How many of those recordings actually contain 24 bits of signal, I don't know. Whether I could really hear that with my air purifier whizzing in the background, I don't know.
And more importantly I mainly listen to Spotify Premium. So that's 16 bits and lossy compression. Spotify Hifi with just lossless audio, not even high resolution audio, will be a very welcome upgrade for me. So the "Less is more" option is actually interesting. Wouldn't be the first time an improvement is achieved by trying less and doing it better.

Within the same chip family I'd lean towards the one with higher accuracy. 20 bit Yggdrasil OG vs. 18 bit Gungnir, for instance.
But the 16 and 20 bit TI chips that Schiit will use are from different families. The 16 bit equivalent to the 20 bit DAC11001A would be the DAC81001 (there's an 18 bit one as well, the DAC91001).
Instead, Schiit uses the DAC8812. Now that's a stereo DAC while the 20 bit one is single channel - but Schiit uses one per channel per phase again if that Reddit post is accurate. I'm wondering whether they are simply not using the second channel of each DAC chip or whether they somehow benefit from it anyway.
It also has a relative accuracy of 1 LSB Max and differential nonlinearity of 1 LSB Max (LSB = least significant bit) while the DAC81001/DAC91001/DAC11001A family all are specified with "Integral linearity: 4-LSB INL (max)". They also have a "1-LSB DNL (max)" rating, so I'm assuming that relative accuracy = integral linearity, but I'm just a clueless customer looking for objective indications of performance here without being able to put them in context. But 4 LSB looks quite a bit worse, so I suspect the DAC8812 is the better 16 bit chip vs. the DAC81001 and possibly even the DAC91001 (16 - 1 > 18 - 4).

Anyway, the DAC8812 also operates in current mode vs. voltage mode. That's interesting and unusual. To me that makes it different enough to be be open to the idea that it's actually better than the Yggdrasil OG (though it might be worse), at least for 16 bit content. So I think I'll give that one a shot.
Edit: Apparently the AD5547 in the Modi Multibit is also a current mode DAC, so I suppose this point is moot.

For me to routinely listen to 24 bit material, Amazon would have to essentially clone Spotify Connect, because the Blu OS app integration just doesn't cut it in terms of usability. Or Qobuz would have to do that while heavily expanding their catalog (it's been a while since I tried it). Or Tidal would have to allow a true lossless tier with unadulterated 24/192 FLAC files and none of that MQA business.
I don't see any of that happening, though.

I suspect the "More is less" version is more for people who can't buy anything without Amir's approval, so I'm less curious about that one as someone who has the OG, but impressions might sway me. It does annoy me that a seemingly lower spec part (4-LSB INL vs. 1-LSB INL for the AD5791BRUZ in the OG) results in a better measuring product. But measurements are complicated and not all measures taken to improve then inherently sound better.

Yes, if the the Yggdrasil OG measured as good as it sounded, part of me would sleep better. However, that part of me doesn't make my purchasing decisions.

So I might get the Less is More one. But I'm also curious about the Holo May, the Denafrips Terminator Plus, and Chord Dave + M-Scaler. So I might not. We'll see.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #81,103 of 151,279
Aug 28, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #81,104 of 151,279
:laughing: If it weren't for you I'd never known about them!
Dang. All he sent me appears to have been cut from a rusted coat hanger. It has some purple sleeving which is pretty cool, but the electrical tape securing the ends is starting to fall off. I think it’s WalMart brand tape. :sob:

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #81,105 of 151,279
You wanted solid core, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back