Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 27, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #81,031 of 150,893
I got through about 3 seconds.

Fabric diapers around your face are worthless.

N95 or better (well fitted) are (supposedly) effective for viruses.

Don't participate in political theater. Just say no.

Yea, I get it. Jason could be shut down if he violates the state mandate. Come on Larry Elder, with a brand new plan.
I'm curious to know from which university you earned your MPH, MD, or PhD.

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #81,032 of 150,893
20 weeks, to the day, after placing my order for a black Bifrost2/Jotunjeim2 stack, my order is finally in. Today I am giving it a first listen....................................................... :)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #81,033 of 150,893
20 weeks, to the day, after placing my order for a black Bifrost2/Jotunjeim2 stack, my order is finally in. Today I am giving it a first listen....................................................... :)
I hope it gives you maximus enjoyment!

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #81,034 of 150,893
I have never spent quality time with a tube amp, so I have no authority in that space, but must say the quality of your woodwork is masterful and if the amps sound half as good they must sound good indeed.
Paladin's amplifier is pretty to look at. As lovely as the woodwork is, the sound is even lovely-er.
And there are so many tubes to choose from, gotta collect them all!

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #81,035 of 150,893
Back in mid-March I ordered an Aegir with the intention of pairing it with some Dirty Weekend speakers from Zu Audio. I ordered the speakers during the March 25th sale, and yesterday they finally arrived.... It's early days, but so far my impressions are very positive.

ready to groove by davidflas, on Flickr
Beautifully simple and simply beautiful. Excellent choice, sir.

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #81,036 of 150,893
@hodgjy Please let it go. Regardless of who is right or wrong, this thread is a much happier place without discussions of Covid, politics, masks etc.

One of the many things I like about this forum is that it's basically self-correcting. Please continue to post your thoughts on audio, cats, BBQ, whisky, etc. but let us leave the other stuff to the 1000's of forums that appreciate the dialog.

Cheers,

RGB

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #81,037 of 150,893
This is supposed to be from an email that Schiit sent out:

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/Schiit/comments/pctbxv/new_schiit_yggdrasil_options_coming/

very interesting that Schiit chose to use multiple current-output16-bit DAC chips. with some additional hardware (or firmware) there can be some definite advantages to this approach that can yield effectively more than 16-bits, in addition to dithering. presumably an LME49724 in the analog output stage.

hopefully this topology (in a cost reduced form, perhaps fewer DAC channels per output) makes it way into Bifrost 2 A2, a Modius Multibit, modi Multibit 2.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #81,038 of 150,893
Aug 27, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #81,039 of 150,893
You are most kind and I hope you do get some time to spend with a quality tube amp.

After over 40 years in electronics the cabinetry was the fun part of my builds, SQ can be pretty subjective but it is always a pleasure when others appreciate your work.

I am now moving on to custom knife making as a hobby since my woodworking shop is geared toward smaller objects. I also drew up plans for headphone stands I want to make but I need to learn pottery slip casting first. Once again woodworking will come into play.

I was tempted by the coaster, but my soldering skills are probably too rusty. Bottlehead might be simple enough for me to build.

I have drooled over a number of beautiful knives, but I have no need for another hobby. I spent good money on kitchen knives and I use those every day - a belt knife would just sit in a drawer. But dang some of them are pretty...

I am sure yours will be too :)

And maybe I'll find a tube amp I can spend time with.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #81,042 of 150,893
Mods, if it is inappropriate to post a link here to this article, please delete. However, I found this article very interesting and easy to understand.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/the-denafrips-design-philosophy-part-1-r1042/

It helped me understand some things about digital audio.

I liked this analogy:

"It's like the audio equipment is a container, the music signal is water. The container itself is clean, but the container is covered with various kinds of paint. So, the water put in the container will be contaminated. The container, paints, and water are three kinds of substances, three different links, not just two substances."

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #81,043 of 150,893
Paladin's amplifier is pretty to look at. As lovely as the woodwork is, the sound is even lovely-er.
And there are so many tubes to choose from, gotta collect them all!
You've had the amp for several weeks now. Any chance of posting some listening impressions? "Lovely-er" is a nice starting point. :)

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #81,045 of 150,893
I was tempted by the coaster, but my soldering skills are probably too rusty. Bottlehead might be simple enough for me to build.

I have drooled over a number of beautiful knives, but I have no need for another hobby. I spent good money on kitchen knives and I use those every day - a belt knife would just sit in a drawer. But dang some of them are pretty...

I am sure yours will be too :)

And maybe I'll find a tube amp I can spend time with.
I got some of the first Coasters going that were sent out to the public. I have done some Bottlehead just to check them out and the instructions are quite good. Anyone should be able to assemble one of their amps, even @bcowen. :ksc75smile:

I am merely taking advantage of tools I own on other hobbies. My accountant has threatened to hire a hit man if I add other sources of income so I hope to just gift family and friends with my version of a Santoku, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back