Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 16, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #79,516 of 155,063
For those starting after p 2599, I made a post there with, ahem, a 'conjecture' that I now think was wrong.
(small edit, still Red face all around.) The post was about

(With my Saga) Can I use the Lokius to send a balanced output to Aegir or Vidar for monoblock use?
I am now pretty certain that is false. The Aegir FEQ pages makes it clear that one needs a true balanced signal to run monoblock, not just a signal that comes from (some) XLR connections that are not a true balanced output
Hmmm, the more I think about this, the more I'm confused. I should listen to music.
Noah

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #79,517 of 155,063
For those starting after p 2599, I made a post there with, ahem, a 'conjecture' that I now think was wrong.
(I edited the post to point out my error. Red face all around.) The post was about

(With my Saga) Can I use the Lokius to send a balanced output to Aegir or Vidar for monoblock use?
I am now pretty certain that is false. The Aegir FEQ pages makes it clear that one needs a true balanced signal to run monoblock, not just a signal that comes from (some) XLR connections that are not a true balanced output
Hmmm, the more I think about this, the more I'm co nfused. I should listen to music.
Noah
This is completely false. The signal out of the Lokius is a true balanced signal. It has the necessary output transformers to convert the internal unbalanced signal to a balanced signal.

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #79,518 of 155,063
(I edited the post to point out my error. Red face all around.) The post was about

Hmmm, the more I think about this, the more I'm co nfused. I should listen to music.
Noah
I do not understand the technical aspects of balanced circuitry well enough to offer a useful contribution.
I will use the Lokius between a Freya S and some active loudspeakers with balanced XLR inputs.
I am pretty confident that this will be fine. The system is balanced all the way through from digital source.
Schiit recommend placing the Lokius after a preamp, especially if you have more than one source.
If the Lokius 'balanced' output will not allow you to drive a pair of monoblocks, and if you only have one source, perhaps you could insert the Lokius between your source and Saga...?
Just an idea...

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #79,519 of 155,063
I do not understand the technical aspects of balanced circuitry well enough to offer a useful contribution.
I will use the Lokius between a Freya S and some active loudspeakers with balanced XLR inputs.
I am pretty confident that this will be fine. The system is balanced all the way through from digital source.
Schiit recommend placing the Lokius after a preamp, especially if you have more than one source.
If the Lokius 'balanced' output will not allow you to drive a pair of monoblocks, and if you only have one source, perhaps you could insert the Lokius between your source and Saga...?
Juts an idea.
Sadly, Saga is single ended only, and so is unable to drive the monoblocks directly.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #79,520 of 155,063
Cool. But mine is a universal remote. It handles all my gear and I can do everything from my chair...

...except turn my Schiit off because the @#$* power switch is on the back. 😒

Screenshot_20210715-163440_Chrome.jpg

Easy. Just use this extension cord to the gear and mount the switch in reach of the remote!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DF248DCC-5B63-4376-A95A-4D6BBACB1FE6.jpeg

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #79,522 of 155,063
Jul 16, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #79,523 of 155,063
Anyone can recommend a stack/rack solution for the Jotunheim R + Lokius?

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #79,524 of 155,063
I received an instant email acknowledgement from Schiit for my Lokius order which I placed last night.
I ordered a Vali 2+ last night and already got the shipping notice. All is good.

For those interested, the Vali seems to be in stock and ready to ship.

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #79,527 of 155,063
Easy. Just use this extension cord to the gear and mount the switch in reach of the remote!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DF248DCC-5B63-4376-A95A-4D6BBACB1FE6.jpeg
Do what I do: Amazon Smart Plug and ask Alexa verbally to turn off your amp.

"Alexa, turn off Ragnarok"
"Did you mean, kitchen?"
"Alexa turn off Ragnarok"
"I'm sorry, did you mean, kitchen?"

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #79,529 of 155,063
@Jason Stoddard Jason, just an idea, but how about publishing the YouTube videos as audio-only podcasts to the Apple Podcast Directory (which pretty much every podcast app uses)? For people who don't care about video...
I haven't tried this, but I think it would work:

If you use JRiver MediaCenter, download whatever YouTbe video you want. Then you can extract the audio signal from the video file and store it in your library as a separate file. I'm sure you could include it in your Podcast library as well. I'll have to look up what the command is, and where it is in the menu tree structure when I get home, I can't remember where it is now. I did this with a couple of concert DVDs (most recently Jeff Beck Performing at Ronnie Scott's).

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #79,530 of 155,063
I haven't tried this, but I think it would work:

If you use JRiver MediaCenter, download whatever YouTbe video you want. Then you can extract the audio signal from the video file and store it in your library as a separate file. I'm sure you could include it in your Podcast library as well. I'll have to look up what the command is, and where it is in the menu tree structure when I get home, I can't remember where it is now. I did this with a couple of concert DVDs (most recently Jeff Beck Performing at Ronnie Scott's).
I'm on a Mac and use Audirväna. I'm sure there are tools available, but I'm lazy.

Edit: actually, I own Downie 4 (video downloader), and that will download YouTube video and extract the audio only if you want (I just checked and found out.). So there I go! Still would be convenient if a Schiit Podcast would show up automatically in my Overcast app.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back