Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 10, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #79,276 of 151,180
And now just waiting for the sides...
IMG_3006.jpeg

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #79,277 of 151,180
Jul 10, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #79,278 of 151,180
The photo is of my current private wine stock. I love French Bordeaux wines, but as prices of the grand crus have been rising extremely over the last decade I now stick to The Cru Bourgeois versions. Prices go from € 8,00 to € 25,00 per bottle. € 8,00 for the lesser gods and € 25,00 (and over) for the better ones.
Since the wine year 2018 Cru Bourgeois has a new listing that is valid for 5 years and has 3 classes. The bulk being standard class and better ones labeled Supérieur and Exceptionnel. I'm chasing these last 2 categories and try to find 2018 vintage at reasonable prices. My most rescent find.

agassac.jpg
Tomorrow is my 40th and I celebrate with one of these

Attachments

• A3170DA3-51BE-4422-A0EC-C80D0599C605.jpeg
    A3170DA3-51BE-4422-A0EC-C80D0599C605.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 11, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #79,281 of 151,180
I just toasted your 40th with some Jefferson’s bourbon! Salut, and happy birthday! May the coming year be one helluva lot better than the last. Pretty sure i remember 40….

Jul 11, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #79,282 of 151,180
Cables. I am rearranging my main system, and at the same time will rewire with purpose made cables. To do that I am taking a number of 2-3 meter cables I have, cutting off the connectors (they are internally moulded, so I can't reuse) and then remaking them with new matching RCA connections, and a couple of XLRs, with matching nylon braiding. Hopefully will look great when finished.

For the RCA connections the twisted pair + shield could be wired with the shield grounded at the source end, both ends, or floating. What's the common view on the best way for noise rejection & ground loop avoidance in the RCA connection?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #79,283 of 151,180
Cables. I am rearranging my main system, and at the same time will rewire with purpose made cables. To do that I am taking a number of 2-3 meter cables I have, cutting off the connectors (they are internally moulded, so I can't reuse) and then remaking them with new matching RCA connections, and a couple of XLRs, with matching nylon braiding. Hopefully will look great when finished.

For the RCA connections the twisted pair + shield could be wired with the shield grounded at the source end, both ends, or floating. What's the common view on the best way for noise rejection & ground loop avoidance in the RCA connection?

most molded-end RCA cables are of coaxial design, one center conductor plus a shield. Assuming that you are keeping one molded RCA intact, connect center conductor to RCA center pin and the shield to the new RCA shell. you can put the braid over the cut end and secure with shrink tubing to existing molded RCA. otherwise, might be easier to start with new bulk wire altogether.

for twisted pair plus shield RCA cables, the cable shield is connected usually at one end only (typically the source end), and one conductor of the twisted pair goes to RCA shell at both ends, other conductor of twisted pair goes to RCA center pin at both ends.

XLR's need a shield plus two conductors (shielded twisted pair, e.g. Mogami 2549, Canare L-2T2S) or four conductors (shielded quad wire, e.g Mogami 2534, Canare L-4E6S). Quad stuff might have some advantages for balanced XLR cables, but is harder to terminate.

Use a multimeter (DMM) to check for shorts / opens.

if possible, power all audio equipment from the same AC mains circuit (preferably a single wall outlet with high quality power strip) to minimize power line ground potential differences between different AC branch circuits.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #79,284 of 151,180
That is simply THE best sweet wine in the world (pourriture noble, not sugar or liquor added), but man those prices. The price now soaring toward € 1.000,00 for a single 750 cl bottle. I checked, the last ones I had were 1987 and 2013 and I enjoyed every drop.
But there is a great alternative. Go to the neighbors of Yquem, Haut Bergeron. They even printed it on the label for a long time "Contigu au château D'Yquem"
Currently I'm looking more at Sainte Croix du mont region and Barsac. Nice, but nothing comes close to a truly great Sauternes in combination with Roquefort cheese.

Happy birthday and enjoy

bergeron.jpg

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #79,285 of 151,180
most molded-end RCA cables are of coaxial design, one center conductor plus a shield. Assuming that you are keeping one molded RCA intact, connect center conductor to RCA center pin and the shield to the new RCA shell. you can put the braid over the cut end and secure with shrink tubing to existing molded RCA. otherwise, might be easier to start with new bulk wire altogether.

for twisted pair plus shield RCA cables, the cable shield is connected usually at one end only (typically the source end), and one conductor of the twisted pair goes to RCA shell at both ends, other conductor of twisted pair goes to RCA center pin at both ends.

XLR's need a shield plus two conductors (shielded twisted pair, e.g. Mogami 2549, Canare L-2T2S) or four conductors (shielded quad wire, e.g Mogami 2534, Canare L-4E6S). Quad stuff might have some advantages for balanced XLR cables, but is harder to terminate.

Use a multimeter (DMM) to check for shorts / opens.

if possible, power all audio equipment from the same AC mains circuit (preferably a single wall outlet with high quality power strip) to minimize power line ground potential differences between different AC branch circuits.
Thanks.

The molding on these connectors is inside, only the connection part is completely sealed up. So I'm cutting the old connectors off, starting from scratch.
The cables themselves are pretty good, and I will re-use them.

The consensus seems to be to connect the shield to with one of the conductors at the source, so probably will go with that and label the directionality.

For sure will be checking with a meter :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #79,287 of 151,180
I'm glad I'm not the only one to binge-watch a whole series. I'm currently working my way through 15 Seasons of Supernatural. Half way through Season 4...! :ghost::ghost::ghost:
We finished NCIS and are now working on '24.' Intense.

ps. I forgot ... prior to NCIS we watched the series Blue Bloods - fantastic. Thanks @macdonjh for reminding me :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #79,288 of 151,180
I'm glad I'm not the only one to binge-watch a whole series. I'm currently working my way through 15 Seasons of Supernatural. Half way through Season 4...! :ghost::ghost::ghost:
I wouldn’t call it binge-watching, because I’m going on a few episodes a week, but I am watching through Star Trek right now :smiley:
All of them. :relaxed:

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #79,289 of 151,180
Actually, that's not quite what the new acknowledgements said. Here's what they actually are--three checkboxes before you complete your order:

( ) I understand the item with the longest backorder sets the ship date for my entire order. Example: if four items are 1-3 days and one is 6-8 weeks, your order ships in 6-8 weeks.
( ) I understand if the shipping date changes on the site after I place my order, that doesn’t apply to me. Example: if the site changes from 5-7 days to 2-4 weeks after you placed your order, you’ll still be shipping in 5-7 days.
( ) I understand that Schiit Audio can no longer change or combine orders, due to the need for warranty traceability. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The first one is simply informational--we only ship orders complete, so if you get 4 things with 1-3 day shipping and one with 10-12 weeks, it ships in 10-12 weeks. We just want to make this super clear so people can alter the order so they can get stuff earlier.

The second one is because we get avalanches of emails every time the ship date changes on the site. This doesn't apply to orders already placed. In fact, many of our products are starting to ship sooner than estimates, and speaker amps are getting near 1-3 days, rather than weeks, in many cases. This is just to let everyone know, don't hound us when something goes from 2-4 weeks to 10-12 weeks after you ordered--you get yours in 2-4 weeks, but people ordering now should expect to wait much longer.

The third one is because we get lots of requests to combine or change orders--so if you order a Mani and then you decide you'd rather have a Bifrost, and then change it to a Freya, we used to have to try to manage this through painful manual notes, which made warranty tracing particularly painful. So yes, we'll help you cancel an order so you can place a correct one, but there's no more ad-hoc changes allowed.

Yes, I know, we are terrible people. Yes, awful. And at the same time, I went to buy an awning for our CA house today, and what was the first thing I saw: ALL AWNINGS NOW 4-6 WEEKS DUE TO HIGH DEMAND. We're still waiting for a couch for our Corpus house, ordered in January. We went to get a high-powered computer for Ivana and found that pretty much all options were 3-6 weeks--past the date she was leaving to go home for a while. So we order a refurb, because those are in stock, right? Yes, except they delayed it 2 days, then a week, then another week--this is for a refurb that was, by definition, supposed to be in stock. Want a Camaro now? That's a nope. Plant's shut down. Want a Corvette right now? That's also a nope, plant's shut down. Want plywood right now? Hope you are OK with a second mortgage to pay for it.

I could go on and on about what we're doing to address this, including some of the most fundamental reorganizations ever seen here and at our partners. But these things take time, and even if they are accelerating, we're still having unexpected gotchas at many turns.

The cynical company would simply raise prices on everything 50%, and take a bath in the money shower that ensues, while enjoying the relaxation that less unit sales would provide. But we won't do that. That's not us. Instead, we will throttle demand by giving you realistic--or, these days, even pessimistic--estimates on when things will ship, because when stuff is backordered, it sells much slower.

Hopefully soon we will have much less backorder, or at least much shorter timeframes. We're doing our best, and we're making progress. But guys, seriously, this ain't easy. FUBAR is still the new normal. At least for now.
unknown.png

Jason,

This has not been my experience. Placed an order 10 weeks ago (late April) when the website stated 4-6 weeks shipping. A month after placing my order, the website updated to a 6-8 week wait. At the 6 week point I requested status on my order and received an email stating it would be a few more weeks.

"Hello,
I am sorry but we are still experiencing a lot of unpredictable part delays which makes it extremely difficult to provide more accurate shipping dates. We are doing everything we can to ship orders as soon as possible. I am sorry for the inconvenience it will most likely be a few more weeks until we can resume shipping. Thank You"

On the 10th week I inquired again about my order status and received the same message I got at the 6 week point.

"Hello,
I am sorry but we are still experiencing a lot of unpredictable part delays which makes it extremely difficult to provide more accurate shipping dates. We are doing everything we can to ship orders as soon as possible. I am sorry for the inconvenience it will most likely be a few more weeks until we can resume shipping. Thank You"

To be clear, I'm not complaining. The thought of you guys being awful and terrible people has never crossed my mind. I do hope you guys figure out the part delay issues and are able to move forward from this backorder mess.

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #79,290 of 151,180
I wouldn’t call it binge-watching, because I’m going on a few episodes a week, but I am watching through Star Trek right now :smiley:
All of them. :relaxed:
The first movie with the new cast is one of my favorites all time. The casting was spot-on, especially Zachary Quinto as Mr. Spock. Leonard Nimoy hand-selected Zachary for that role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back