Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 13, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #78,257 of 150,428
Be happy and enjoy the beer. 😁

At the end of our tube trial, one person will receive what are considered the top five tubes, another the next five etc. Drinks will be served after all tabulations are done and a party will ensue. ( this is a great chance for older folks to mingle with a younger crowd and enjoy a shared topic.)

This is not for everyone but we enjoy it and maybe learn a few things along the way.

Curiosity spurs me to do such things while others might be happy pondering certain situations. If I can convince friends it might be fun or they convince me, game on.
Where are you in Indiana? I would like to attend.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #78,258 of 150,428
I merely gave an old example and my area of expertise is not statistics. There are many newer examples out there. It could be jelly beans in a jar.
The example with a group of people and an ox may have been skewed if farmers were there who were used to such things. In other examples random people were chosen and the means or median answers were quite close

Generally what we do is a group effort and most of the people involved have backgrounds in engineering, music, mathematics, computer science, even the medical field. There are practical purposes involved I will only get into in PM. 😎

I was doing some blind testing with specific tubes on a small scale and several friends were curious if we could expand the testing, and how to go about that. It is not for everyone and it can be costly. If you have a better methodology by all means use it.😀 This is very specific but we did DAC testing in a similar manner. Once again we got to hear equipment that we could not walk into many showrooms and hear, and yes we did score them blind.

I am not one to say I hear this, and this equipment is better or worse so I like to get several people in the same situation and get multiple thoughts. When I designed the four amps friends said they liked them but I figured some were humoring me so I sent a sample on to folks on this site I have never met and got their reactions. It is just how I think.
...and I was only using your specific example to muse on the general topic of statistics applied to the behavior of large groups.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #78,259 of 150,428
Jun 13, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #78,260 of 150,428
This is why I did not have children. Though I could communicate clearly, I figured my children would be an all around disaster. I feel like I should get more credit for this decision.
I attest it can also go the other way, children so good at language that can out-argue their parents from a young age, not to mention destroying them at any word games :ksc75smile:

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #78,261 of 150,428
Jun 13, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #78,262 of 150,428
...and I was only using your specific example to muse on the general topic of statistics applied to the behavior of large groups.
The group can matter no doubt, in 1909 you could probably get folks to cooperate and make serious guesses. It is the most famous example but I have seen it done since with very good results.

The majority of our 50 has done this before, know the music and know it may take a full weekend.There is no quick way out of it lol. In the past we have donated gear and gift certificates. I do all right but some of the core group have very deep pockets. One way or the other the 50 usually do quite well.😏

Walk through a carnival today with a jar full of jelly beans trying to get folks to guess is another matter. You might get answers of zero or a million. Driving soon but I certainly mean no ill will to anyone happy to evaluate gear however they wish. I would have to talk about some things in PM though.
Later
Tom

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #78,263 of 150,428
And the most susceptible are the ones that think they are immune or resistant to such tricks.

Reminds me of the turn of the 19th century medium craze. The scientists were easily fooled by the con artists, thinking they were observing natural phenomena, while magicians, used to trickery, were not.
I was referring to people who, for whatever reason, don't think critically about what they're told.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #78,264 of 150,428
I got so tired of going to the penalty box I just moved in. There's enough room for two, so if you want to hang out come on in. :sweat_smile:
And now the bench is tiger maple.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #78,265 of 150,428
Will you provide single malt refreshment to wash down the BBQ?

In NC it is proper etiquette to get roaring drunk before one eats so as not to remember how bad NC BBQ is. 😜
My thought was to simply skip the first step all together and proceed directly to washing down.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #78,266 of 150,428
but I certainly mean no ill will to anyone happy to evaluate gear however they wish. I would have to talk about some things in PM though.
Of course not, neither do I. I only intend to muse about a couple of topics. I know a few things about each, but I like to hear from people who know more than I do.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #78,267 of 150,428
And now the bench is tiger maple.
7000C5AC-0ABA-42E2-8477-6983AC91EBF5.jpeg

My work with tiger maple, and the answer to a previous question is Bloomington. Just waiting for my wife, then we leave.🥳

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #78,268 of 150,428
Jun 13, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #78,269 of 150,428
I am thinking more about blind tests. I think the whole issue of "can they detect a difference at all" is a canard and should be ignored. If I have fifty machinists drilling holes and I want to know the quality of two competing brands of drill bits I would never ask the machinists, "You just drilled a hole, tell me which brand you used?" I just want to know if the holes are made correctly and tie the quality to the drill bits that were used. My alternative music idea is to let a person listen to their favorite music, as long as they like. When they are finished they can go have a beer, then leave. No beer while they listen. Let each subject do this 10 or 20 times (on different days). Time them. So (blind to them) they were listening to cable A fifty percent of the time and cable B the other fifty percent of the time. I do not bother them about identifying cables. I time their music listening. My theory is that when they like the music better they would stay longer. If they like it worse they would leave for the beer sooner. Use that data. I do not care if they can identify the cables, if they stay significantly longer with one type of cable they were enjoying the music more.

Sorry but I don't agree with this. I listen to the exact same system every day and some days I love it while other days not so much. Did I sleep well? Good day at work? Stressed? Hungry? Had sex? All these things and more add up to more or less enjoyment. Therefore I don believe what you're proposing is useful.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #78,270 of 150,428
Sorry but I don't agree with this. I listen to the exact same system every day and some days I love it while other days not so much. Did I sleep well? Good day at work? Stressed? Hungry? Had sex? All these things and more add up to more or less enjoyment. Therefore I don believe what you're proposing is useful.
Exactly. People should stop looking for "proofs" in audio systems and just enjoy the music. If you are not enjoying the music, you are doing it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back